vero beach fl
great out and an example of how well dennis played thruout the match
thanks for the link lenny

lll

Verified Member
From
vero beach fl
if you watch close the cue ball was safe if he missed
(he did get a good bump from the 1 ball )
maybe not such a crazy shot to try
still a great out

Last edited:

NH Steve

Administrator
From
New Hampshire
This kind of falls into the category of "don't tempt a great shooter with a tough shot" because they are liable to make the shot. I am impressed how quickly he shot that (unless Lenny edited out a few minutes of looking it over lol), because in general DO did look things over pretty thoroughly quite often, and this was certainly a spot that would have warranted it.

Attachments

• 2017-03-08 07_02_58-Greenshot.jpg
    2017-03-08 07_02_58-Greenshot.jpg
    42.7 KB · Views: 0

cincy_kid

Verified Member
From
Cincinnati, OH
I do want to point out one thing though.

I know everyone said it was 4.25" pockets but I still think they had to be looser and it wasn't just the new cloth. Watch that combo. There's no way that 5 ball drops on 4.25" pockets, it rattles in the hole.

And on a side note, that was a heck of shot scott pulled off to put him there too. Perfect CB to double him up on the head rail balls by his pocket. It couldn't have been any better.

jtompilot

Verified Member
From
New Orleans
I do want to point out one thing though.

I know everyone said it was 4.25" pockets but I still think they had to be looser and it wasn't just the new cloth. Watch that combo. There's no way that 5 ball drops on 4.25" pockets, it rattles in the hole.

And on a side note, that was a heck of shot scott pulled off to put him there too. Perfect CB to double him up on the head rail balls by his pocket. It couldn't have been any better.

I've played on 4.5" Diamonds that no way the 5 drops. During the four days I saw many ball fall that surprised me, yes many also hung up.

cincy_kid

Verified Member
From
Cincinnati, OH
I've played on 4.5" Diamonds that no way the 5 drops. During the four days I saw many ball fall that surprised me, yes many also hung up.

Yea I agree..I think its was MR3C who said someone put 2 balls in the jaws after the match and they fit no problem.

I remember watching a lot of the match and thinking the pockets were playing loose. Not taking anything away from Dennis as he played about as good as someone can play but some of those banks hit the rail before the pocket and I knew they were going but they slid in...

gulfportdoc

Verified Member
From
Gulfport, Mississippi
D.O. made a very nice shot. But he was real fortunate to get position on the 1 ball; and if he had missed the opening shot, he was safe. No question he made a nice run, but the opening shot was not dangerous. The 5 ball dropped like it was into a 4-3/4" pocket..:)

~Doc

poolboy79

Well-Known-Member
Did he have any other valid shots besides the combo?

Besides the combo everything else seemed pretty easy for a great player.

Was he shooting at a shot that was 50-50? Much easier to shoot to when you know you have nothing else. The beard called it putting on the blinders I believe.

poolboy79

Well-Known-Member
Could he have taken a scratch somewhere and tried to extend the game? I don't believe they were playing 3 fouls.

jalapus logan

Verified Member
You guys are a tough croud. ;)

This out was exceptional, as was the quality of Dennis' play in general during this match.

I want to see more...

baby huey

Verified Member
If you force a shooter to shoot that's what he is going to do. Scott made a great offensive shot off Dennis's break and Dennis came right back with the tough combo and ran them out.

LSJohn

Verified Member
From
monett missouri
Yea I agree..I think its was MR3C who said someone put 2 balls in the jaws after the match and they fit no problem.

Google "greg sullivan pocket size"

Sullivan set the table up. Id bet plenty that they were exactly whatever size Greg says they are. But, as far as I know, he hasn't said. Promoters said 4 1/4. but we don't know it is what Greg would say.

I think two balls will fit between the points (which aren't parallel) on a Diamond table that Greg measures at 4 1/4.

cincy_kid

Verified Member
From
Cincinnati, OH

Sullivan set the table up. Id bet plenty that they were exactly whatever size Greg says they are. But, as far as I know, he hasn't said. Promoters said 4 1/4. but we don't know it is what Greg would say.

I think two balls will fit between the points (which aren't parallel) on a Diamond table that Greg measures at 4 1/4.

I believe you John, but they sure looked looser than 4.25. And if it was just because of the newer cloth, that would surprise me too!

BRLongArm

Verified Member
I believe you John, but they sure looked looser than 4.25. And if it was just because of the newer cloth, that would surprise me too!

They were 4.25, but the left pocket was more receptive than the right pocket, or at least it seemed to me. They
figured it out because they both began breaking to it. New cloth changes the whole game. If it was worn in, you would have seen a much closer match.

cincy_kid

Verified Member
From
Cincinnati, OH
They were 4.25, but the left pocket was more receptive than the right pocket, or at least it seemed to me. They
figured it out because they both began breaking to it. New cloth changes the whole game. If it was worn in, you would have seen a much closer match.

crazy how equipment and table conditions can change a match so much..

Frank Almanza

Verified Member
From
Upland, California
I believe they were 4.25. I saw the guy put those two balls to the mouth of the pocket and no they did not fit in the jaws. It was the new cloth that made them play soft.

BRLongArm

Verified Member
I believe they were 4.25. I saw the guy put those two balls to the mouth of the pocket and no they did not fit in the jaws. It was the new cloth that made them play soft.

Agreed. But if they didn't play that soft, who is to say that Dennis plays the same style?

FrenchAT

Verified Member
From
Augusta, Georgia

I watched Greg's youtube video on measuring pocket size and I think i am more confused than before I watched it.lol He puts 2 balls into the pocket centered on the point and measures the air between the balls giving 1/32 on each side for a 1/16 difference. In other words, if there is 1/16 of air between the balls, he says that is 4 1/2 inch pockets. What happens when the 2 balls do not fit into the pocket side by side centered on the point? How can your precisely measure that?

https://youtu.be/lG9CqK95U2E