Top U.S. players 2020: Comments welcome

catkins

Verified Member
From
boulder creek ca
schmidt is a devastating shooter and you cant beat him for running balls but I don't feel like he plays a very nuanced game of
one pocket. He is super fun to watch but in my opinion a top notch ball runner with more patience and better creativity in the trapping department will have the edge here

catkins

Verified Member
From
boulder creek ca
There was a great match this year at derby with Justin and tony came down to last three balls for the set and Justin out played tony. Being completely fearless as Justin is helps a lot too. The semis with him and roberto was like 12 minutes I think

jtompilot

Verified Member
From
New Orleans
schmidt is a devastating shooter and you cant beat him for running balls but I don't feel like he plays a very nuanced game of
one pocket. He is super fun to watch but in my opinion a top notch ball runner with more patience and better creativity in the trapping department will have the edge here

Did you watch last years DCC when he was down something like 5 to -4 against James Aranas? I was there in person and also watched the match recently. He has won DCC in the past and I think his 1P is underrated.

catkins

Verified Member
From
boulder creek ca
Did you watch last years DCC when he was down something like 5 to -4 against James Aranas? I was there in person and also watched the match recently. He has won DCC in the past and I think his 1P is underrated.
That was a great match. What I think john does well is playing to his strength which is running balls. So his willingness to take 1000 scratches makes sense since he is a favorite to run a lot of balls if he ever gets the shot from almost any position

gulfportdoc

Verified Member
From
Gulfport, Mississippi
I remember watching Justin Cone 10+ years back, I would have swore he would be on this list....
Yeah, Cone was (is?) a dynamite player, but IMO he couldn't beat the top pros. He was like Lil John or Mike Surber, who could compete with the top guys, but couldn't beat them in the long run.

wincardona

Verified Member
From
Dallas Tx.
State of mind plays big imo... at the top level in pool and golf in particular, one must have his mind right... Concentration must be 100% along with confidence in ones ability to win against whoever the opponent might be... When any one of them gets in that type of zone, they can win... especially if they aren’t afraid or intimidated by who they are playing, then they can win... Justin Hall could be one of the best, for whatever reasons, he chooses not to... could be commitment, could be just simply a lack of desire to put in the effort he knows it demands, who knows? Getting to a consistent top 3 ranking for the year takes more than some can give, or more than they are willing to give.... Justin is still young enough to chase life outside of the poolroom and talented enough to settle down later in his life and become a top 3 one pocket player... Question is... Will he...
I enjoy all your post, you seem to be well informed and your understanding of life, pool in general, and what it takes to succeed you bring forward as clearly as it can be described. You are an asset to the forum for many reasons.

Great post.

Dr. Bill

cincy_kid

Verified Member
From
Cincinnati, OH
I thought Steve Cook was better than that.
Of course he was! He is a HOFer!

I had the privilege to play with him in his later years when he would come to Beechmont Billiards. He let me play against him $10 a game and I'm sure you understand how well worth it that was. He was always a gentleman at the table and off.

TxOnePocket

Verified Member
From
Arlington,Texas -
Yeah, Cone was (is?) a dynamite player, but IMO he couldn't beat the top pros. He was like Lil John or Mike Surber, who could compete with the top guys, but couldn't beat them in the long run.
Naw I just worded the last part wrong, meant to say he was someone I thought was on his way to that list.

Island Drive

Verified Member
From
florence, colorado
He was...he had a good chance to beat anyone he played every time he got on the table
LS how about Jr. Golf, saw him at his pool room in Tampa, 68. Only room I'd ever been in that used Rubber floor tiles. Clyde Garman used to take me around during my stay. We missed the Big Q by a photo finish, won the daily double and Won betting on HiLai, till he dropped the ball :)

Jeff sparks

Verified Member
From
Houston, Texas
I enjoy all your post, you seem to be well informed and your understanding of life, pool in general, and what it takes to succeed you bring forward as clearly as it can be described. You are an asset to the forum for many reasons.

Great post.

Dr. Bill
Dr. Bill, that was such a nice compliment, coming from a guy who’s been there and lived it, and always held himself to the very highest standards along the way...
Appreciate ya... 👍 Thanks

Nick B

Verified Member
From
Vancouver, Canada
Pilot,
I always thought that JS didn't get the attention he deserved playing one pocket. Good thinker and his ball pocketing comes much from his good cue ball control. Maybe because he stays away from the power bank shots that people underestimate him as just a ball runner.

jtompilot

Verified Member
From
New Orleans
Pilot,
I always thought that JS didn't get the attention he deserved playing one pocket. Good thinker and his ball pocketing comes much from his good cue ball control. Maybe because he stays away from the power bank shots that people underestimate him as just a ball runner.

I’ve got a little JS story.

About 15/16 years ago before John became MR. 400, and I didn’t know who he was, we played in NYC at 4th ave. billiards. I was practicing in the pit when John said, “I know you, I watched you play in Detroit when I was hanging out with Brandon”. Brandon was one of the best local players in Detroit and I knew I shouldn’t play him but I’m a sucker.

I don’t remember how many games we played but John made darn near everything he shot at. I’ve never seen anyone make so many combo banks, carom banks and shots, kiss shots and banks. I don’t think I ever got to two or three balls. It was one of the biggest whoppings I’ve ever received.

cincy_kid

Verified Member
From
Cincinnati, OH
I know we aren't too far into 2021 but wondered after the Justin / Corey match and Frost / Chohan match, Compton / Gomez and anything else you have seen or know, how does the top 10 American one pocket players list change for you?

My list would be:

1. Tony Chohan
2. Scott Frost
3. SVB
4. Chip Compton
5. Justin Hall
6. Corey Deuel
7. Danny Smith
8. Evan Lunda
9. Billy Thorpe
10. Shannon Daulton

Last edited:

jtompilot

Verified Member
From
New Orleans
I know we aren't too far into 2021 but wondered after the Justin / Corey match and Frost / Chohan match, Compton / Gomez and anything else you have seen or know, how does the top 10 American one pocket players list change for you?

My list would be:

1. Tony Chohan
2. Scott Frost
3. SVB
4. Chip Compton
5. Justin Hall
6. Corey Deuel
7. Danny Smith
8. Evan Lunda
9. Billy Thorpe
10. Shannon Daulton
I would like to see a Tony/SVB rematch. Shane came close at California Billiards but just needed some more 1P seasoning.

Do you think Danny can beat Evan or Billy? Or is that list based on past performance?