Tony and Dennis

NH Steve

Administrator
From
New Hampshire
How would you handicap this match!

Well you guys out west saw Tony develop as a player for quite a while, so you probably have a pretty good idea of his game. And Orcollo comes around too, so in terms of their One Pocket games I feel like I would be preaching to the choir, lol. But if you saw the DO vs Frost match you saw that DO is going to leave very little room for Tony to falter, because Dennis is very on top of his game right now. And as we saw, Scott faltered a little too much, and part of it had to have been the major distraction that Scott has going on at the moment with his fledgling (still under construction) business. The thing that concerns me with Tony is that in some ways he has similar distractions -- with his recent clothing line and even more recent "leaving pool" -- I would think he will have a hard time 100% shaking free from that. So I give DO the edge, even though I personally love Tony's game!! So no offense to Tony, but if anyone wants a sweat bet and likes Tony's side, I am game.

PS, good to see you posting Box!!

Renegade_56

Verified Member
I think DO is just way too much the Technician for a match this long. Tony's aggresiveness will win him games, but his lack of precision (in comparison to DO of course) will be his downfall. If the race is to more than 4 or 5 I'd bet DO all the way.

LSJohn

Verified Member
From
monett missouri
Well you guys out west saw Tony develop as a player for quite a while, so you probably have a pretty good idea of his game. And Orcollo comes around too, so in terms of their One Pocket games I feel like I would be preaching to the choir, lol. But if you saw the DO vs Frost match you saw that DO is going to leave very little room for Tony to falter, because Dennis is very on top of his game right now. And as we saw, Scott faltered a little too much, and part of it had to have been the major distraction that Scott has going on at the moment with his fledgling (still under construction) business. The thing that concerns me with Tony is that in some ways he has similar distractions -- with his recent clothing line and even more recent "leaving pool" -- I would think he will have a hard time 100% shaking free from that. So I give DO the edge, even though I personally love Tony's game!! So no offense to Tony, but if anyone wants a sweat bet and likes Tony's side, I am game.

My thoughts exactly.

baby huey

Verified Member
I think Dennis is the favorite to win this match. But, Tony does possess certain skills which will trouble Dennis. I thought Scott was too tentative in his shot selection and end game strategy when he played Dennis. Scott lost way too many games leading 6/0 and 7/1. That's not going to happen with Tony. He will shoot at his hole more aggressively than Scott. Scott banked about as poorly as I've ever seen. Dennis banked to perfection and wasn't afraid to shoot those long straight backs to his hole because Scott couldn't make any shots to save his life. Tony's strong suit is banking and shot making both offensively and defensively. So,Tony is in this match and if he gets going, watch out. I see the match coming down to the final day very close and the player with the most nerve and swagger will win it.

12squared

Verified Member
From
Fort Collins, CO
I also have a Bert Schrager cue

Very fun, Jim. I have two: one I've owned since 1991 and some years later I bought a sneaky that he made. I will probably bring the sneaky to Chicago.

On a side note, I loved Bert and Pat. I worked with Bert briefly (about 4-5 mos) in 1977 doing inlays on the panagraph.

BOX

Verified Member
From
Los Angeles California
(To Jerry) I saw Tony play one of are local champs Chicago! Tony gave him nine to five,that was ten years ago.Tonys not the same player now!He has the mine set,but trying to hard to get back to where he was.It will come,but he has to be more patient and let it come to him and not chase it.I think the keys to this match!Decision making,not being lazy at the table look with your legs,control your emotions,stay in the box,PLAY WITH EXTREME PREJUDICE, winner!

gulfportdoc

Verified Member
From
Gulfport, Mississippi
Very fun, Jim. I have two: one I've owned since 1991 and some years later I bought a sneaky that he made. I will probably bring the sneaky to Chicago.

On a side note, I loved Bert and Pat. I worked with Bert briefly (about 4-5 mos) in 1977 doing inlays on the panagraph.
All the Schrager owners are coming out of the woodwork. I bought one of Bert's plain birdseye maple cues in the later '80s. I got it for $175 + case!! He said a guy had ordered it, but never picked it up. I haven't used it in years.

I knew Bert from the late '60s in North Hollywood, not long after he started making his billiard sticks. I couldn't afford one of his cues then. Interesting guy, and a good 3C player.

~Doc

azbombero

I met Bert when Joey Bello and Tommy Delorenzo recommend him to make a shaft for my Viking window cue. He was working from his garage like in 1973. In 1975 or so he made me a bird eye maple with a cork wrap that I had him redo in 2000 or so when he was in Lake Isabella. When I went to pick it up he tried to give me some other cue, not mine. I finally convinced him which one was mine. A lot of good stories. I don't play the cue anymore but still have it.

jtompilot

Verified Member
From
New Orleans

I bought my bar stick in 1980 after graduating from Glendale College as an aircraft mechanic. I was in Gloden West billiard supply talking to the salesman about cues. After showing mea few spectacular shots he said Bert Schrager made his cues. God am I stupid, I said "what's your name"? He said, Lou Butera.
I felt so stupid.

After Bert made my cue, Bert asked me if I was interested in becoming his apprentice. I was but just couldn't give up aviation

12squared

Verified Member
From
Fort Collins, CO
I bought my bar stick in 1980 after graduating from Glendale College as an aircraft mechanic. I was in Gloden West billiard supply talking to the salesman about cues. After showing mea few spectacular shots he said Bert Schrager made his cues. God am I stupid, I said "what's your name"? He said, Lou Butera.
I felt so stupid.

After Bert made my cue, Bert asked me if I was interested in becoming his apprentice. I was but just couldn't give up aviation

He asked me too! hahahaha The cool thing was he and Lou were really good friends so he took me to Lou's house for dinner one night and we fooled around on his Centennial table. It was an awesome experience, that man could play!

Frank Almanza

Verified Member
From
Upland, California
I also have one of his cues. Got it from him in the early eighties when Tim Padgett was working for him. Still play with it today.

One thing about Bert he really knew how to give a hand shake. My hand still hurts to this day just thinking about his hand shake. I got that whenever I saw him at an event I would yell across the room and say hi. That got the formalities out of the way and bypassed the hand shake. Great guy.

Box, good to see that you've joined the crowd here.