lll

Verified Member
From
vero beach fl
im trying to find some wwyd for you guys
im watching justin hall and shannon
they are in a wedge game
maybe some of the more experienced would like to comment on
is there a 'better " side to have the wedge on?? yours or his??
do you wait for your opponent to loosen a ball??
when would you make the ball that inevitably gets pushed to the corner pocket?
or any other advice when faced in a wedge game
wedge 1.jpg
wedge 2.jpg

tonygreen

Well-Known-Member
Jeff,
with all due respect, I think 14.1 players will have very little advantage (the further the distance, t he less you will find "wired" balls).

Side note : don't call it the Varner wedge please, it was the wedge decades before him (sorry, back to the query)

many prefer it on their side and some prefer it on their opponents side for obvious reasons.
I personally think the guy with best cue ball control has the advantage. Imagine an opportunity to pocket one and stick the cue behind half of another ball.

cheers

Jeff sparks

Verified Member
From
Houston, Texas
Jeff,
with all due respect, I think 14.1 players will have very little advantage (the further the distance, t he less you will find "wired" balls).

Side note : don't call it the Varner wedge please, it was the wedge decades before him (sorry, back to the query)

many prefer it on their side and some prefer it on their opponents side for obvious reasons.
I personally think the guy with best cue ball control has the advantage. Imagine an opportunity to pocket one and stick the cue behind half of another ball.

cheers

On the contrary Mr. Green,

Wired is wired, even on a 6x12. If it's dead, it's dead for 1 foot or 50 if you can hit it hard enough.

I deleted my initial post because it wasn't totally Germaine to the query, but the gist of it was, a good stack player would have a slight advantage in most cluster situations. This I believe to be true, regardless of the position of the cluster, i.e.... Wedge.

Respectfully,
Jeff

one pocket guy

Verified Member
From
Arkansas (near Memphis Tn)
Nick Varner said he would prefer the opposite pocket (bottom left in picture) due to 2 rail banks and when you pocket a ball to spot it helps you, he is the creator of that style so I play it his way,

Miller

Verified Member
From
East St. Louis Area
ghost and rafeal martinez played a marathon of a wedge game that came down to the last ball 2-3 DCCs ago. i was sitting next to mike massey and he said that he had never seen balls wedged up so tight. at one point they even managed to get the cue ball right in the middle of that mess....

maybe ghost can offer some words of wisdom (hint....hint....:p)

:)

(i don't know if this qualifies as a "wedge" but here is an old one with the balls stacked up on the side pretty tight:
http://www.onepocket.org/forum/showthread.php?t=8257)

lll

Verified Member
From
vero beach fl
ghost and rafeal martinez played a marathon of a wedge game that came down to the last ball 2-3 DCCs ago. i was sitting next to mike massey and he said that he had never seen balls wedged up so tight. at one point they even managed to get the cue ball right in the middle of that mess....

maybe ghost can offer some words of wisdom (hint....hint....:p)

:)

(i don't know if this qualifies as a "wedge" but here is an old one with the balls stacked up on the side pretty tight:
http://www.onepocket.org/forum/showthread.php?t=8257)
miller on this one as i remember from past threads
since its high up on the long rail
and not down by the opposite/diagonal pocket
this gives the player whose pocket is opposite the wedge on the opposite side rail cross banks to his pocket that the other player cant shoot towards his pocket

LSJohn

Verified Member
From
monett missouri
im trying to find some wwyd for you guys
im watching justin hall and shannon
they are in a wedge game
maybe some of the more experienced would like to comment on
is there a 'better " side to have the wedge on?? yours or his??
do you wait for your opponent to loosen a ball??
when would you make the ball that inevitably gets pushed to the corner pocket?
or any other advice when faced in a wedge game
View attachment 12594
View attachment 12595

His side for sure. As for the rest, I dunno.

Hennie Bogan

Verified Member
Not an answer to the wwyd, but I heard Varner say part of the reason he liked the wedge was to get in stroke :eek:

Seriously though, from what I have seen and heard, I don't think there is really a better side to wedge them on. I have heard several pros and cons to each side. I think it may just be more a product of how the balls lay.

The link below is to a funny discussion with Incardona, Frost, and Corey regarding which side they would rather have the balls on. It should cue at the right time, but, if not, it starts at 18:23. Corey prefers to call it "cluttered up." :frus

https://youtu.be/Y6A1QCJTdBU?t=1103

Nick B

Verified Member
From
Vancouver, Canada
I like the "wedge" on his side. This way should a ball go in I can try a free spot shot to the natural side (non-backcut).

Nick

Not an answer to the wwyd, but I heard Varner say part of the reason he liked the wedge was to get in stroke :eek:

Seriously though, from what I have seen and heard, I don't think there is really a better side to wedge them on. I have heard several pros and cons to each side. I think it may just be more a product of how the balls lay.

The link below is to a funny discussion with Incardona, Frost, and Corey regarding which side they would rather have the balls on. It should cue at the right time, but, if not, it starts at 18:23. Corey prefers to call it "cluttered up." :frus

https://youtu.be/Y6A1QCJTdBU?t=1103