The simple simple truth

unoperro

Verified Member
Would it make any sense to just say after some specified time limit whoever has pocketed the most balls wins? That seems simple.

Encouraging slow play by whoever is in the lead?
Probably not your best idea;)

El Chapo

Verified Member
I have not been keeping up with this thread, but the appeal of RR has no end.

What basically happens at every tournament? The worst players, the ones who need the most practice in battle, are two and out. All the best players, the ones who need no seasoning, play all day. It is a real problem as i see it. I mean pool is nothing so it does not matter, but if it were, RR would completely solve the problem.

Cory in dc

Verified Member
Would it make any sense to just say after some specified time limit whoever has pocketed the most balls wins? That seems simple.

Sadly, that would play out terrible I think. Someone is up 5-3 and there's 20 minutes to go until the timer goes off. I'll give you 3:1 that person would slow way down and get super conservative.

Jeff sparks

Verified Member
From
Houston, Texas
RR format

RR format

I believe the RR format could be used in next years MOT because of the requirement of the host room having at least 16 tables...

Several people have outlined what they believe will and will not work using the RR format, and of course anytime something different is proposed for an event in which there are more than two participants, there’s usually a difference of opinion... perfectly natural...

Imo, Darmoose has the best overall grip on the RR format... He has explained his ideas flawlessly in this thread and I agree with the two days of RR’s
( Friday & Saturday ) to determine which ( 4 or 8 ) will advance to the finals on Sunday...

Winnowing down the field thru Friday’s and Saturday’s RR play to the desired # of finalists, would seem to be the only possible fly in the ointment...To that end, even thought I would prefer playing 21 games, ( 7 matches x 3 games ) I would agree with Whitey and his idea of playing 14 games ( 7 matches x 2 games ) to determine who goes to the finals... That’s still a lot of one pocket...

My reasons are these, (1) Every one of your opponents will get the break only once per match, and so will you... (2) the deliberate players, when matched against each other, will only play two games... (3) Playing 14 games each over a two day span ( rather than 21 ) will allow more time at the end of each day of play, for whatever you choose to use it for, be that socializing, dinner engagements, sight seeing, or matching up and playing some more one pocket...

I feel this could work, something just feels right about this format and the idea that everyone can and will get to play more games with more members... Sorry, but I couldn’t help putting this up, it sounds like a win/win on all fronts, while possibly solving a problem the MOT has had in the past...

chicagomike

Verified Member
Sadly, that would play out terrible I think. Someone is up 5-3 and there's 20 minutes to go until the timer goes off. I'll give you 3:1 that person would slow way down and get super conservative.

I agree...I wasn’t thinking that way when the thought came to my mind.

mr3cushion

Verified Member
From
Cocoa Beach, FL
I believe the RR format could be used in next years MOT because of the requirement of the host room having at least 16 tables...

Several people have outlined what they believe will and will not work using the RR format, and of course anytime something different is proposed for an event in which there are more than two participants, there’s usually a difference of opinion... perfectly natural...

Imo, Darmoose has the best overall grip on the RR format... He has explained his ideas flawlessly in this thread and I agree with the two days of RR’s
( Friday & Saturday ) to determine which ( 4 or 8 ) will advance to the finals on Sunday...

Winnowing down the field thru Friday’s and Saturday’s RR play to the desired # of finalists, would seem to be the only possible fly in the ointment...To that end, even thought I would prefer playing 21 games, ( 7 matches x 3 games ) I would agree with Whitey and his idea of playing 14 games ( 7 matches x 2 games ) to determine who goes to the finals... That’s still a lot of one pocket...

My reasons are these, (1) Every one of your opponents will get the break only once per match, and so will you... (2) the deliberate players, when matched against each other, will only play two games... (3) Playing 14 games each over a two day span ( rather than 21 ) will allow more time at the end of each day of play, for whatever you choose to use it for, be that socializing, dinner engagements, sight seeing, or matching up and playing some more one pocket...

I feel this could work, something just feels right about this format and the idea that everyone can and will get to play more games with more members... Sorry, but I couldn’t help putting this up, it sounds like a win/win on all fronts, while possibly solving a problem the MOT has had in the past...

Jeff; You don't need 16 available tables for the RR format to work!

Jeff sparks

Verified Member
From
Houston, Texas
Jeff; You don't need 16 available tables for the RR format to work!

Thanks Bill,
Perhaps when the MOT doesn’t require a 16 table room, your advice will be given its due consideration...At present, its one of the members requirements, and having 16 tables available certainly doesn’t hurt, does it?

LSJohn

Verified Member
From
monett missouri

Jeff, I wouldn't change a single word. I'm with you 100%.

mr3cushion

Verified Member
From
Cocoa Beach, FL
Thanks Bill,
Perhaps when the MOT doesn’t require a 16 table room, your advice will be given its due consideration...At present, its one of the members requirements, and having 16 tables available certainly doesn’t hurt, does it?

I think the ONLY reason for a necessity of 16 tables, is because of the DBL elimination format! That's the hold up right there!

Jeff sparks

Verified Member
From
Houston, Texas
I think the ONLY reason for a necessity of 16 tables, is because of the DBL elimination format! That's the hold up right there!

I’m sure that you are correct in that assumption Bill, nevertheless the requirement of 16 tables is a good one for the MOT next year for a # of reasons... #1 Field testing a unused RR format at the next MOT, it would be easier to have 16 tables in order to avoid any “cramping” of the matches... With 16, there’s never a problem...

Also having at least 16 tables available will allow occasional practice and some gambling to be done in the interim when waiting on the odd long match...

I’m sure, down the road, when the RR is a tried and proven ( assuming of course it works! ) format, the members might be able to use a room with less than 16 tables with the confidence that they will be able to fit the entire tournament into the 3 day allotted time span that is currently being used...

However for the 1st year, if the RR gets adopted, wouldn’t you agree that using a room with 16 tables would be better...

mr3cushion

Verified Member
From
Cocoa Beach, FL
I’m sure that you are correct in that assumption Bill, nevertheless the requirement of 16 tables is a good one for the MOT next year for a # of reasons... #1 Field testing a unused RR format at the next MOT, it would be easier to have 16 tables in order to avoid any “cramping” of the matches... With 16, there’s never a problem...

Also having at least 16 tables available will allow occasional practice and some gambling to be done in the interim when waiting on the odd long match...

I’m sure, down the road, when the RR is a tried and proven ( assuming of course it works! ) format, the members might be able to use a room with less than 16 tables with the confidence that they will be able to fit the entire tournament into the 3 day allotted time span that is currently being used...

However for the 1st year, if the RR gets adopted, wouldn’t you agree that using a room with 16 tables would be better...

The whole reason for RR format is, NO ONE is sitting around for their scheduled match waiting for a match to finish, in order to play their match!

One other aspect no one has mentioned about the advantage in RR format is, when you have an odd number of players!

Lets say there are 34 players in the field, all that you do is, 'just have 2 of the flights with 1 MORE player in it!' NO need for all those pesky byes!

Island Drive

Verified Member
From
florence, colorado
The whole reason for RR format is, NO ONE is sitting around for their scheduled match waiting for a match to finish, in order to play their match!

One other aspect no one has mentioned about the advantage in RR format is, when you have an odd number of players!

Lets say there are 34 players in the field, all that you do is, 'just have 2 of the flights with 1 MORE player in it!' NO need for all those pesky byes!

I would think another advantage to a RR format. The first group out, gets the most rest for the next go around. Have a meal, watch sports on tv.

Dennis "Whitey" Young

Verified Member
From
Klamath Falls, Or.
Thanks for the endorsement Jeff! mr3cushion's RR format race to 3 does maintain the 3/3 format for the traditionalists. Makes for a clear cut winner/loser for every match. Also allows one more rd. of play than traditional 3/3, and he states for Seniors with 8 tables it works within the time frame.

If the MOT had a little more playing time per day, I could endorse and piggy back off of mr3cushion's format, by going to a RR race to 2, but with 4 groups of 8 to give more playing time. The pre-lim rd. would take approx. a couple of hrs. longer, and same for rd. of 16, than doing a 14 game, 2 games each against each player format. But, by going to this it maintains mr3cushion's idea of having a clear cut winner or loser each match. Adds more excitement! You can base the final 16 on win/loss record and have tie breaker decided by total games loss.

If you have a pre-set players meetings agreed upon game rules in place prior, it then would eliminate a lengthy players meeting, plus do the draw on Thursday, then on Friday do the Calcutta early morning, and get started with play, it just might work.

For me at this point: staying with a 14 game RR format that has a lesser time frame at the first trial MOT is what I would suggest. But there are great possibilities of going to a race, but I would like it proven first at a MOT that there is time available. I know for the west coast MOT that California billiards did accommodate opening up earlier on Saturday. Just throwing out some more ideas! Whitey

cincy_kid

Verified Member
From
Cincinnati, OH
I think I said this in another thread someplace but for the record I hope to attend the MOT next year in Philly or wherever it ends up being.

I think the RR format would be fun but I am good trying any new format as long as we can somehow end it at a decent time on Sunday.

Yea, Im dead money but if I ever get lucky and end up going far in it, i will end up having to forfeit my match to leave to go back home or to go to sleep! :)

probably wont affect me, but trying to help those who do go far!