The role FEAR plays in one pocket

petie

Verified Member
From
Citrus Springs, FL
I am still kind of green compared to most here, been playing pool for going on 7 years now. I have felt pressure against better players and sometimes have risen to the occasion and other times my arm tightened up on me. As I am gaining confidence it happens a good deal less, I think its all about the time and experience you have in competition with tough players who will punish you if you miss. I have played some awesome pool against guys who were hacks, no pressure and just free wheeling knowing they would not make me pay.

I hope as time goes on and I keep getting more experience and my confidence grows I will have less moments of freezing up. Imagine playing Efren and your hill hill at the US Open One Pocket, you need 1 ball its a tough cut down the rail and if you miss Efren has open balls by his hole, you know if you miss he is going to punish you and you will think of what could have been, being able to beat Efren.

These thoughts can creep up in your head and your muscle memory gets a little screwy and you dog it. We can all sit here never being in that situation and say we would just make the ball no problems or thoughts, the reality is many players have dogged it to Efren. He should have lost several tournaments he won but players dogged it against him. You do not know how you will perform until your under the gun.

An honest man. Cornbread used to say, "I like to bet enough to put a tremble in the other guy's arm." It never seemed like it effected him that much.

petie

Verified Member
From
Citrus Springs, FL
I know it's not that simple for most people but it's always been that easy for me. I've never quite understood what's so difficult about it but then I remember a friend of mine who was a boxer. This guy could get in a ring with a stranger and get punched in the head and enjoy the match but he couldn't play pool for money without fear. I realized then that there are different kinds of heart.

I can't pilot a dragster at 300 mph and Don Garlits probably would shake like an 8 yr. old girl if he played one-pocket for $100 a game. Oh well.

As to your original post about 9-Ball players learning one-pocket, it's a lot of fun watching them learn if they are betting something. Some of them fire everything in and some have an uncertainty that prevents them from shooting when they should, they have yet to learn the right shot.

I don't think fear is any different in one-pocket than in any other game.

You can see players shoot the wrong (safe) bank because they are scared to shoot the right bank playing banks.

You can watch players gain position the wrong way in 9-Ball because they might leave a shot if they shoot the right shot and miss.

Same thing in 3 Cushion billiards, safe (scared) shot vs. right shot.

You can see it in all sports that people play.

Most players do things differently when they are afraid of something, it isn't easy to play your speed when you are getting your nuts shot in but that's the only way to win or to find out that you can't:).

Dennis

You are a man of steel, Dennis.

lll

Verified Member
From
vero beach fl
An honest man. Cornbread used to say, "I like to bet enough to put a tremble in the other guy's arm." It never seemed like it effected him that much.

i think thats why he and dennis got along so well
neither one got a tremble in their arm:)
and respected each other for that

Cowboy Dennis

Verified Member
From
Detroit,Michigan

Pete,

Every single time that Red & I played (there were many) he was betting his own money. He protected that money just like you and I would. All of that crazy, legendary stuff that you hear was on someone else's cash as far as I ever knew. He was a hell of a player, no doubt, but he protected his cash just like the rest of us. Probably more so because he had been given an "allowance" when he left the house and he wanted to make it last as long as possible but we all want to do that. He did not shoot wild & crazy,legendary, phony-old-T.V. shots on his own cash, not playing me anyways. I saw him betting his own many times and he played as you would expect an intelligent person to play.

He was also phenomenal at times being staked and I'm sure he could have been the same on his own money but I didn't see it. Even when I saw him staked he played smart & great for the cash, no bad choices in shot selection or anything, but he protected the cash more when it was his own.

Dennis

Sam Waltz

Fear is the enemy!

Fear is the enemy!

Fear and anxiety are the major sources of losses between evenly matched opponents IMO. These are character flaws that we all try to deny, but sooner or later they get the best of us and we "will" be "cracked" and fall when the heat is turned up high enough. Whether it's a player's lack of experience and knowledge or their own personal financial situation, we all crumble at times and won't "perform" up to our expectations resulting in getting our gluteous maximus kicked when we expected to be countin' up the dough.

I played two GREAT one pocket players over this past year and during the first match I most definately was intimidated by the "man" rather than the pool he shot and got hijacked accordingly. I was shakin' like a leaf and dogging my brains out like I was a total chump. Oh well, he got the dough and I learned a big lesson in humility, pride and gained a huge chunk knowledge of one pocket that I didn't have before.

The second player flat out beat my brains in by playing the best one pocket I have ever seen or been up against, but I can maintain wholy that I didn't "dog" it or shoot below my abilities in any way. He just flat out played great. Oh well, another lesson learned and more knowledge gained. Sometimes even if you DO play your best you still get hurt by a superior player.

The one thing I can say for sure is that the only way to beat back the nervous monster in all of us is by continually stepping up against superior competition and hardening our nerves against it through repetition. Fear and anxiety can be concured via practice in such situations.

It's hard to face a demon, but at least if you do it head-on you'll see whats comin' for ya so don't turn away! Now go get some folks! Hell...they can't eat ya man!

One Pocket Ghost

Verified Member
From
Ghosttown
I played two GREAT one pocket players over this past year and during the first match I most definately was intimidated by the "man"

The second player flat out beat my brains in by playing the
best one pocket I have ever seen

Hey Sam....I'm just curious who these two great players were that you played...especially the second one since he played the best One Pocket that you've ever seen.

- Ghost

Sam Waltz

Don't make me knock 'em!

Don't make me knock 'em!

Hey Sam....I'm just curious who these two great players were that you played...especially the second one since he played the best One Pocket that you've ever seen.

- Ghost

The first was Jeremy Jones, who everybody already knows. The second was Scott Rabon. Take note that I'm not putting Scott on a pedestal with Efren, Frost, Gabe, Jeremy, Shannon, etc., but I AM definately saying that during the match we played he was in dead punch fo sho! Sometimes when a man is ON, he's just REALLY ON ya know! I watched him play a week later and I wasn't nearly as impressed. Lucky me, I got him at his best! :D

P.S. The enormous spots I was getting from these gentlemen WILL remain untold as to save myself more embarassment.

Last edited:

petie

Verified Member
From
Citrus Springs, FL
The first was Jeremy Jones, who everybody already knows. The second was Scott Rabon. Take note that I'm not putting Scott on a pedestal with Efren, Frost, Gabe, Jeremy, Shannon, etc., but I AM definately saying that during the match we played he was in dead punch fo sho! Sometimes when a man is ON, he's just REALLY ON ya know! I watched him play a week later and I wasn't nearly as impressed. Lucky me, I got him at his best! :D

P.S. The enormous spots I was getting from these gentlemen WILL remain untold as to save myself more embarassment.

Great story and great advice, Sam. I think if people are honest, they will admit having felt the "tremble" in their arm once or twice. That is not to say it happens all the time--just that they have felt it as it seems to be a common and natural reaction to existential threat and can help us perform at our top level if directed correctly.

androd

Verified Member
From
New Braunfels tx.
Great story and great advice, Sam. I think if people are honest, they will admit having felt the "tremble" in their arm once or twice. That is not to say it happens all the time--just that they have felt it as it seems to be a common and natural reaction to existential threat and can help us perform at our top level if directed correctly.

For many years, every time I started to play with the bet a little high for my bankroll,(which was most of the time) I was nervous. It didn't mean I was going to play poorly, but sometimes I did. They were mostly strangers and
sometimes I was intimidated. I played very conservative until I began to get a little more at ease. I been told I often played beyond my abilities, because I've beaten players that all the pool room detectives said I had no chance with. :D
Rod.

petie

Verified Member
From
Citrus Springs, FL
For many years, every time I started to play with the bet a little high for my bankroll,(which was most of the time) I was nervous. It didn't mean I was going to play poorly, but sometimes I did. They were mostly strangers and
sometimes I was intimidated. I played very conservative until I began to get a little more at ease. I been told I often played beyond my abilities, because I've beaten players that all the pool room detectives said I had no chance with. :D
Rod.
Rod, I'll try this again and then I have to go to work for awhile. The new software update is pretty screwy. I'm guessing you know something about sports betting. My brother was a real good NBA handicapper and he always thought one of the greatest motivators and predictors of who had the edge in a game was fear of embarrasment. I agree. How about you?

androd

Verified Member
From
New Braunfels tx.
Rod, I'll try this again and then I have to go to work for awhile. The new software update is pretty screwy. I'm guessing you know something about sports betting. My brother was a real good NBA handicapper and he always thought one of the greatest motivators and predictors of who had the edge in a game was fear of embarrasment. I agree. How about you?

That's something I never thought of. Maybe when you're "checkered with defeat." it's something you never think about. Maybe the bullies consider it.:eek:
Rod.

petie

Verified Member
From
Citrus Springs, FL
That's something I never thought of. Maybe when you're "checkered with defeat." it's something you never think about. Maybe the bullies consider it.:eek:
Rod.

Now see here! That's a little too much self loathing for my taste. You are a winner in my book. Your honesty and kindness come through the facade with shining clarity. You have corrected my shot choice on many occasions and never once made me feel bad about it. Rod, You're my hero. Now that you know you're a role model, you're going to have to improve your self image.:)

androd

Verified Member
From
New Braunfels tx.
Now see here! That's a little too much self loathing for my taste. You are a winner in my book. Your honesty and kindness come through the facade with shining clarity. You have corrected my shot choice on many occasions and never once made me feel bad about it. Rod, You're my hero. Now that you know you're a role model, you're going to have to improve your self image.:)

It's human nature to exaggerate your wins and forget about your losses.
I remember most all of them and there were plenty of each. :D
Rod.

petie

Verified Member
From
Citrus Springs, FL
It's human nature to exaggerate your wins and forget about your losses.
I remember most all of them and there were plenty of each. :D
Rod.

That's more like it. I thought I might have to come down there to Texas and go off for a few just to make you feel better.

One Pocket Ghost

Verified Member
From
Ghosttown

Hey Sam.....Unfortunately, I do know Scott Rabon and his One Pocket game...

About 9 years ago I went down to South Carolina and played in Grady's Legends of One Pocket Tournament....I was feeling good and playing well having just beaten Grady and Danny Harriman in my last two matches (races to 4) by a combined score of 8 games to 3 games....at that point I had made it into the money rounds with a minimum of 9th place, but I had one loss, having lost earlier to Parica....so I looked at the flow chart and saw that if I was on the other side of the chart I'd be playing Nevel or Cliff next - instead I was playing a guy I never heard of named Scott Rabon, and I was glad of that bit of luck - (course, he was also probably glad he was playing me, lol)...well, 2 hours later I wasn't so glad anymore since he beat me 4-2 - gotta give him his props though - he played great, moved pretty good, banked real good, and never missed a ball...and I remember that a coupla-few years after that, he had a 7th place finish out of 350 players at the Derby City One Pocket Tournament.

- Ghost

Last edited:

Jimmy B

Verified Member

About 9 years ago I went down to South Carolina and played in Grady's Legends of One Pocket Tournament....I was feeling good and playing well having just beaten Grady and Danny Harriman in my last two matches (races to 4) by a combined score of 8 games to 3 games....at that point I had made it into the money rounds with a minimum of 9th place, but I had one loss, having lost earlier to Parica....so I looked at the flow chart and saw that if I was on the other side of the chart I'd be playing Nevel or Cliff next - instead I was playing a guy I never heard of named Scott Rabon, and I was glad of that bit of luck - (course, he was also probably glad he was playing me, lol)...well, 2 hours later I wasn't so glad anymore since he beat me 4-2 - gotta give him his props though - he played great and never missed a ball...and I remember that a coupla-few years after that, he had a 7th place finish out of 350 players at the Derby City One Pocket Tournament.

- Ghost

Yes, I remember being at that tournament, if you mean the one pocket and straight pool combination tournament in the Columbia hotel about that time. I've known Rabon a long time and played nine ball with him several times, but no one pocket. He plays quite well. I think he started working on pool tables too. If it's the same tournament, John S. won the straight pool and Scott Frost won Onepocktet. I had fun talking to Weanie, Danny D, Grady and Gradys wife and several Scotts and a bunch of other folks whose name I never got. Grady told me he lost the venue there so it didn't continue, but yes Scott Rabon use to be able to beat anyone in a tournament match. He played ok in the straight pool and didn't know the rules, but he didn't even consider not playing. He use to gamble pretty good too, but I haven't seen him in several years......

CaliRed

Verified Member
From
Heart of the Midwest
The new software update is pretty screwy.

Is this comment about the forum software update? If so, can you elaborate? So far, the only issue has been a redirect error sometimes and I believe I have that fixed as of yesterday morning.

Please, if you see anything funny, post in that thread about the update. We want this update to be transparent to anyone and not create any hassles:)

On topic... you talk about a tremble in the hand.. you should experience the feeling when you are about to hit a button that could potentially screw up the entire forums, lose all the information and create a unbelievable mess with a lot of angry upset people and a owner/admin that you've worked to gain trust over the past couple of years, maybe put you on his sh1t list and banish you forever.:eek::)

There are certain procedures when it comes to pc's, that give a person a extremely high degree of anxiety. It's the commands or scripts that when you execute, could wipe everything out. I liken it to being hill hill with everything on the line and you're shooting a shot that is either going to win you the game, or lose you the game. Oh, and one more thing... you've got all your own money in it, plus a several backers have a big piece of it, and there's 20 guys on the rail betting on you too. It's all great if it works out, but if it doesn't your playing the role of the goat.:eek:

Sam Waltz

Undercover MONSTERS! LOL

Undercover MONSTERS! LOL

About 9 years ago I went down to South Carolina and played in Grady's Legends of One Pocket Tournament....I was feeling good and playing well having just beaten Grady and Danny Harriman in my last two matches (races to 4) by a combined score of 8 games to 3 games....at that point I had made it into the money rounds with a minimum of 9th place, but I had one loss, having lost earlier to Parica....so I looked at the flow chart and saw that if I was on the other side of the chart I'd be playing Nevel or Cliff next - instead I was playing a guy I never heard of named Scott Rabon, and I was glad of that bit of luck - (course, he was also probably glad he was playing me, lol)...well, 2 hours later I wasn't so glad anymore since he beat me 4-2 - gotta give him his props though - he played great, moved pretty good, banked real good, and never missed a ball...and I remember that a coupla-few years after that, he had a 7th place finish out of 350 players at the Derby City One Pocket Tournament.

- Ghost

LOL, I always find it amazingly funny when the "unknown" makes an "unforgettable" mark on my psyche like Scott did mine and apparently yours as well! Scott was down in Joplin, MO visiting a friend of mine and doing some table work for the local hall there and I unfortunately let my ego jump right on into the game that I assumed I had the stone cold brazillians on! Of course my assumption was DEAD WRONG and this fool here and a bit of my money had to part ways in his favor. I have to admit that although I HATED gettin' my butt kicked, Scott was a wonderful person to gamble with. A true gentleman of the game with a ton of all around class.

Hey, you must play some damned good one hole yourself sir if you took down ol' Danny in that tourney! Most impressive indeed!