The Real Price off a Free Scratch

Cowboy Dennis

Verified Member
From
Detroit,Michigan
This was a nightmare thread. Artie had me so frustrated with his illogical understanding of the free pushplus he doesn't understand that you can't apply math to uncertainties. Uncertainties have no exact value. You can only guesstimate the probability of something occurring. Arties strong suit when he was in vegas was to do what he knew was right, and let other people figure out why it was right. He never was able to figure out the mathematics of a proposition, he had other people do that. I have always had a very good understanding on figuring out propositions, especially ones that dealt with math.

This thread is not for me:sorry don't want to revisit this nightmare.:sorry

Dr. Bill

I don't know Bill, did we ever completely resolve the question? What was the question anyway? What's the difference between a "free foul", a "free push", or a "free scratch"? I really never understood completely:p.

RBL

androd

Verified Member
From
New Braunfels tx.
I just scanned the thread again. It's really amazing that people who have been around pool most of their lives, have no idea what this spot was worth.
And had such a terrible understanding of it. :frus
I guess that's why I was able to struggle through without a 9to5 job. :D:p:)
Rod.

Last edited:

Cowboy Dennis

Verified Member
From
Detroit,Michigan
I just scanned the thread again. It's really amazing that people who have been around pool most of their lives, have no idea what this spot was worth.
I guess that's why I was able to struggle through without a 9to5 job. :D
Rod.

I believe that you & I agreed that it was worth spit. Or wasn't worth spit, I can't remember:p.

Maybe when AB & ER are done writing their books they can come let us know.:) I wonder what that spot is worth on a 4'X8'.

RBL

tylerdurden

Verified Member
I guess that's why I was able to struggle through without a 9to5 job. :D:p:)
Rod.

I read through a couple of pages and got a headache.

My thought on the sentiments within this thread, it is amazing how powerful it can be if you are WRONG, but you think you are right. I mean, if you are in a bad game, and don't know it, is it really a bad game? Especially if you are arrogant and think you have info nobody else has (not referring to anyone in particular). I think at top levels, if you are in a bad game, it will show up no matter what. Yet, Grady once told a story about Worst traveling around getting advice from cornbread. Worst didn't know cornbread was trying to trap him everywhere he went, yet worst still won everywhere. Ha. This is perhaps a whole giant cluster-f--k of a psychological thread in itself.

Jimmy B

Verified Member
I read through a couple of pages and got a headache.

My thought on the sentiments within this thread, it is amazing how powerful it can be if you are WRONG, but you think you are right. I mean, if you are in a bad game, and don't know it, is it really a bad game? Especially if you are arrogant and think you have info nobody else has (not referring to anyone in particular). I think at top levels, if you are in a bad game, it will show up no matter what. Yet, Grady once told a story about Worst traveling around getting advice from cornbread. Worst didn't know cornbread was trying to trap him everywhere he went, yet worst still won everywhere. Ha. This is perhaps a whole giant cluster-f--k of a psychological thread in itself.

Yes, when Artie Bodendorfer left and abandoned me seven and a half months ago, I read quite a bit throughout the archives to catch up on things, until I sort of got enough of it, but I would still love for Him to come back and post in the present tense. That would be epic for sure, and I hoped that Dr. Bill would follow through and call AB to tell Him how much we are all longing for His return. Dennis has done a yeomans job as a resurrectionist along with the shot selections, humor, the HOF hit poem, etc etc etc.

Cowboy Dennis

Verified Member
From
Detroit,Michigan
I'm asking this in all seriousness, what does giving someone ass mean? I haven't came across that line before, so I'm asking because I'm the curious type.

that's the vernacular for when they don't pay.:p
Rod

Rod, are you sure that's what it means? Everytime I stop at the light on West Fort St. & Dearborn this girl tells me that "giving someone ass" means that I have to pay:confused:.

cheap detroit hooker2.jpg

This is the greatest thread on onepocket.org that shouldn't have gotten past the first page except for something about the two greatest players of the last 40 years matching up. :D

Your welcome.

RBL

androd

Verified Member
From
New Braunfels tx.
Rod, are you sure that's what it means? Everytime I stop at the light on West Fort St. & Dearborn this girl tells me that "giving someone ass" means that I have to pay:confused:.

View attachment 6301

This is the greatest thread on onepocket.org that shouldn't have gotten past the first page except for something about the two greatest players of the last 40 years matching up. :D

Your welcome.

RBL

Dennis I didn't know you had a minivan. I thought you had a pickoff truck.
It's a huge difference on a 4/8. Hee Hee.
Rod.

Cowboy Dennis

Verified Member
From
Detroit,Michigan
What would a free out be worth in a baseball game? Not an extra out, but a free safe call on an out.

Skin

Well, since everyone here totally ignored this brilliant question I will give my answer.

It cannot be worth more than 4 runs.

Cowboy "common sense" Dennis

Skin

Verified Member
Well, since everyone here totally ignored this brilliant question I will give my answer.

It cannot be worth more than 4 runs.

Cowboy "common sense" Dennis

There are lots of scenarios. I suppose a free out that loads the bases on what would have been the third out, followed by a grand slam, arguably could make the free out worth 4 runs. But...the team could still score more runs after that before the third out. So it could be worth more than 4 runs with no theoretical limit to it really. Just my analysis, though.

Skin

androd

Verified Member
From
New Braunfels tx.
There are lots of scenarios. I suppose a free out that loads the bases on what would have been the third out, followed by a grand slam, arguably could make the free out worth 4 runs. But...the team could still score more runs after that before the third out. So it could be worth more than 4 runs with no theoretical limit to it really. Just my analysis, though.

Skin

Everyone would be surprised at how many big innings and how many runs are scored with 2 outs.:D
Rod.

Cowboy Dennis

Verified Member
From
Detroit,Michigan
What would a free out be worth in a baseball game? Not an extra out, but a free safe call on an out.

Skin

Skin

There are not a lot of scenarios. You gave a specific outline to follow: A free safe call on an out.

There are no scenarios possible that can lead to more than 4 runs on one free safe call. You did not ask what the possibilities were for future runs scored because of the free safe call.

Dennis

Skin

Verified Member
There are not a lot of scenarios. You gave a specific outline to follow: A free safe call on an out.

There are no scenarios possible that can lead to more than 4 runs on one free safe call. You did not ask what the possibilities were for future runs scored because of the free safe call.

Dennis

If what happens after the free safe call on an out is not counted, then a free out cannot be worth more than one run unless you think a guy on second can tag up and make it home on a fly ball. But you didn't play it that way when you said it could not be worth more than 4 runs, presumably meaning it could be worth 4 runs, which would be impossible if what happened afterwards is not counted.

Skin

Cowboy Dennis

Verified Member
From
Detroit,Michigan
If what happens after the free safe call on an out is not counted, then a free out cannot be worth more than one run unless you think a guy on second can tag up and make it home on a fly ball. But you didn't play it that way when you said it could not be worth more than 4 runs, presumably meaning it could be worth 4 runs, which would be impossible if what happened afterwards is not counted.

Skin

Think again "intellectual breath":D.

RBL

Cowboy Dennis

Verified Member
From
Detroit,Michigan
i think we need artie and another 250 posts to figure this one
:eek:............:heh

Yeah, because Artie really knew what he was talking about in this thread. There's nothing like highlighting the difference between thinking the game on a computer and actually playing the game. Mathematics don't mean dick when discussing theories on a pooltable.

Dennis

Skin

Verified Member
If you can't imagine a scenario then you should turn in your "debate merit badge".:)

RBL

Dennis, you've got nothing, not even on an inside the park grand slam out at the plate on the batter because the 3 runs ahead of him count even on an out. Go try to prove how smart you are to somebody else. It ain't working with me, pal.

Boy of Summer Skin

Cowboy Dennis

Verified Member
From
Detroit,Michigan
Dennis, you've got nothing, not even on an inside the park grand slam out at the plate on the batter because the 3 runs ahead of him count even on an out. Go try to prove how smart you are to somebody else. It ain't working with me, pal.

Boy of Summer Skin
Skin said:
Good questions, Larry. Here is an analogous question:

Skin

You go try to prove how smart you are to somebody else, it ain't working with me.