The key to one pocket !

philip guagliardo

Verified Member
I've read a lot about one pocket and how some posters want to learn the game better , but I never read about getting out of the break and what player is the best at getting out of the break !! I think its the most important point of the game and if you shoot the right shot everytime your chances of winning are very strong . I played Artie B quite a few games in our youth and always got 9 to 7 and 9 to 6 and the break ! I probably got a meaningful shot off the break 2 % of the time I would estimate . I shot just as straight as anyone in those days and surely would have had a chance of winning if Artie B didn't execute the perfect shot just about everytime . Artie would do one thing when I broke the balls real good and he couldn't find a way to turn the break around to his advantage !! He would lag the cueball to the end rail and with ungodly accuracy leave me froze or just enough room for a playing card to fit without any shot to work with , the best shot would be a difficult one ball shot where if you miss you sell out and probably lose the game !! He also lagged the ball where it was difficult for you to play safe in a lot of situations . I normally shot !! The times I didn't break real good he naturally shot and turned the break into his advantage moving a couple balls back to his side and you where usually in a trap . The point of this post is who is the best today getting out of the break ? I think some poster who has time should set up different challenges off the break on what shot to shoot and have Artie B post the right shot to execute or any other posters who think they shoot the right shot off the break . I know one thing if I would have ever known the correct shot off the break I might have beat a few people in my day ?

Race Track Phil

Roy Steffensen

Verified Member
Great thread!

I'll start with a layout.

[CUETABLE]http://CueTable.com/P/?@3AYBo4BDmx3CHet3DAVM4ELwj3FEtr4GBjO4HAcx3IAMl3JXXr4KEdR3LBCQ3MDvO4NBah3ODee4PWOO@[/CUETABLE]

I would probably go for this shot, but I am just a beginner in this game, and don't know if it is correct or not. It was the first "obvious" shot that I saw.

Looking forward to see if the better players will share some knowledge with us!

[CUETABLE]http://CueTable.com/P/?@3AYBo4BDmx3CHet3DAVM4ELwj3FEtr4GBjO4HAcx3IAMl3JXXr4KEdR3LBCQ3MDvO4NBah3ODee4PWOO4YLwj4YNdj4YSoY3eXXr3eIdg4kWOO4kLPU3kLpj3kalH3kYnD@[/CUETABLE]

gbru

Verified Member
From
mobile al
Roy Steffensen said:
Great thread!

[CUETABLE]http://CueTable.com/P/?@3AYBo4BDmx3CHet3DAVM4ELwj3FEtr4GBjO4HAcx3IAMl3JXXr4KEdR3LBCQ3MDvO4NBah3ODee4PWOO@[/CUETABLE]

I would probably go for this shot, but I am just a beginner in this game, and don't know if it is correct or not. It was the first "obvious" shot that I saw.

[CUETABLE]http://CueTable.com/P/?@3AYBo4BDmx3CHet3DAVM4ELwj3FEtr4GBjO4HAcx3IAMl3JXXr4KEdR3LBCQ3MDvO4NBah3ODee4PWOO4YLwj4YNdj4YSoY3eXXr3eIdg4kWOO4kLPU3kLpj3kalH3kYnD@[/CUETABLE]

That is exactly the shot I saw Roy. You put a ball in play on your side and move the threat from his pocket. I also have not been playing but about three years and there is still a lot I don't see.

I watch a ton of accu-stat matches and am constantly studying the book "winning one pocket" and Freddy the Beard's excellent book "banking with the Beard". Also Grady's videos are excellent and Billy Incordonia has a very good instructional one pocket video as well.

Good luck on playing the game. Hope to see you in Louisville.

Mobile-george

sappo

Verified Member
From
Tucson AZ
First if im seeing the shot correctly i think i could cut the 5 ball in. If thats not the case i like going off the 5 ball and putting it close to your shot hidden by the stack. However i think you might be trying to do to much by attempting to put the 10 ball into the stack. i think that requires a very good hit and i think a lot could go wrong without a perfect hit. I like just rolling the cue ball 2 rails right onto the 10 ball. if you hit it right your opponent will have to move it for you. Sappo ps Phil i think this is an excellent topic.

ace

Verified Member
From
Longview, Tx
sappo said:
First if im seeing the shot correctly i think i could cut the 5 ball in. If thats not the case i like going off the 5 ball and putting it close to your shot hidden by the stack. However i think you might be trying to do to much by attempting to put the 10 ball into the stack. i think that requires a very good hit and i think a lot could go wrong without a perfect hit. I like just rolling the cue ball 2 rails right onto the 10 ball. if you hit it right your opponent will have to move it for you. Sappo ps Phil i think this is an excellent topic.

I think think trying to pocket the 5-ball is a little too aggressive, but everything else mentioned in sappo's post is correct.

vapros

Verified Member
From
baton rouge, la
First shot

First shot

Phil G, you posted about responding to the break. I recall a video by Willie Jopling that addressed this and provided the break and responding shot a number of times. Nothing there too dramatic or spectacular, but some excellent ideas for beginning players.

He also demonstrated some kiss-back shots, even from behind the head string and into his pocket. Not an exact science, but something good to know. I can't remember the title of the video.

gbru

Verified Member
From
mobile al
sappo said:

I agree. Cutting the 5 ball is much, much too difficult a shot and unnessarily agressive. The cue ball will be flying around the table. However, you do have to shoot the 5 hard enough to move it to around the 3rd diamond if you leave the cue ball by the 10 ball. Otherwise he can kick the 5 it away if the cue isn't behind the 10 ball.

What I don't like about leaving the cue ball by the 10 ball is he will just ticy-off it and put you in the stack. That's why I like moving the 10 away.

george

blackeee

Verified Member
From
Jackson, Tn
Roy Steffensen said:
Great thread!

If it's possible to see enough of the 15, I'd shoot the 15 into the 3 trying to freeze the rock on the12-13 possibly putting the 3 and the 10 on your side and leaving nothing.

blackeee

Verified Member
From
Jackson, Tn
Roy Steffensen said:
Great thread!

If it's possible to see enough of the 15, I'd shoot the 15 into the 3 trying to freeze the rock on the12-13 possibly putting the 3 and the 10 on your side and leaving nothing. If That's not available, all I see is goin off the 5 and try to put him dead behind the 10. If you leave him where he can hit the one, you just gotta hope you have some kind of shot after that to get out of it.

Skin

Verified Member
Here's what I'm thinking about trying. Just have to hit the 15 good and draw back without ticking the 13 out for a shot into his hole.

Skin

[CUETABLE]http://CueTable.com/P/?@3AYBo4BDmx3CHet3DAVM4ELwj3FEtr4GBjO4HAcx3IAMl3JXXr4KEdR3LBCQ3MDvO4NBah3ODee4PWOO4VDmx4VGov3WHet3WcgA4WLYt4WVEA4bBjO4bDvs4bDvs4bEMw4cAcx4cCww4fEdR4fHWW4fHnW4fJCY4iBah4iDFL3jDee3jHuq3jRqD3jahY4kWOO3kCwd3kAkk@[/CUETABLE]

SJDinPHX

Suspended
Skin said:
Here's what I'm thinking about trying. Just have to hit the 15 good and draw back without ticking the 13 out for a shot into his hole.

Skin

[CUETABLE]http://CueTable.com/P/?@3AYBo4BDmx3CHet3DAVM4ELwj3FEtr4GBjO4HAcx3IAMl3JXXr4KEdR3LBCQ3MDvO4NBah3ODee4PWOO4VDmx4VGov3WHet3WcgA4WLYt4WVEA4bBjO4bDvs4bDvs4bEMw4cAcx4cCww4fEdR4fHWW4fHnW4fJCY4iBah4iDFL3jDee3jHuq3jRqD3jahY4kWOO3kCwd3kAkk@[/CUETABLE]

Skin,
You are a magician. Not only for your superior shot selection, but for being able to comprehend these WEI tables.
I guess its all we have to deal with in lieu of actually "seeing" the shot in real time. However I think I may need an advanced course in WEI Table 101, in order to better see these shots. Does that mean the "information age" has passed me by (Actually, I kind of hope it has.) ;)
Dick <-----wants to see real balls !

philip guagliardo

Verified Member
Skin said:

Skin

Skin , That shot takes real control drawing the ball and putting the 3 ball in front of your hole . A lot of things can go bad !! I do like that shot posted about freezing the cue in between the 12 and 13 thats if you can see the 15 correctly . You can get the same result with the 3 in front of your hole . But what dio I know I sold out a lot :mad:

PHIL

Skin

Verified Member
SJDinPHX said:
Skin,
You are a magician. Not only for your superior shot selection, but for being able to comprehend these WEI tables.
I guess its all we have to deal with in lieu of actually "seeing" the shot in real time. However I think I may need an advanced course in WEI Table 101, in order to better see these shots. Does that mean the "information age" has passed me by (Actually, I kind of hope it has.) ;)
Dick <-----wants to see real balls !

Everybody can play fantasy pool, Dick. That's what the Wei table is. You just draw lines all over the place and, PRESTO!, you can make any shot.

I like seeing the balls on the table, too. There's nothing like that for bringing you to your senses. :)

Skin

gbru

Verified Member
From
mobile al
Skin said:

Skin

Skin........I saw that shot also but it doesn't lay right. You can only hit about 4/5 of the 15 and that 's skimming the 14 close. If the 15 will caroms off the left side of the 3 then carom off the 13 and go towards his hole you could be in big trouble.

When you close one eye on a regulation table to sight and you can only see part of a ball you have to masse' to hit more of it. The same should holds true with the WEI table. Hold a straight edge to the board and you can't see all of the 15. It's not center to center it's edge to edge.

I really like that shot and would have picked it first but it won't go.

George

Skin

Verified Member
philip guagliardo said:
Skin , That shot takes real control drawing the ball and putting the 3 ball in front of your hole . A lot of things can go bad !! I do like that shot posted about freezing the cue in between the 12 and 13 thats if you can see the 15 correctly . You can get the same result with the 3 in front of your hole . But what dio I know I sold out a lot :mad:

PHIL

Phil, I give lessons in selling out. To prove how good I am at it, I pay the students instead of them paying me. :D

Skin

SJDinPHX

Suspended
It seems unfair...

It seems unfair...

Skin said:
Phil, I give lessons in selling out. To prove how good I am at it, I pay the students instead of them paying me. :D

Skin

It amazes me that the Ghost actually charges people for the same thing.

Dick <----Sell out lessons cheaper than Skin !:D

fred bentivegna

Verified Member
From
chicago illinois
WEI table layouts remind me of...

WEI table layouts remind me of...

Virtual Sex. Dry-humping as a teenager. Spaghetti without cheese. Sandwiches without bread. Sex with a condom. Coffee without cream and sugar. Wonder Bread. 3.2 Beer. Frozen Pizza. RibWich sandwiches. Instant mashed potatoes....etc., etc.

the Onepocket WEI Grinch

This all came about from Sappo wanting to cut the five ball in.

sappo

Verified Member
From
Tucson AZ
Reply to Freddie

Reply to Freddie

Freddie, what i said was i think i could cut the 5 ball in and i still do. But my shot selection was to go off the 5 ball, banking it to my side and protecting it with the stack, and to roll the cue ball 2 rails ontop of the 10 ball. You cant shoot the 15-3 combo-bank because you can only see the right side of the 15 which would prevent you from pulling the cue ball down into the stack. Now im wondering what you would do in this situation? Sappo

fred bentivegna

Verified Member
From
chicago illinois
Purist

Purist

sappo said:
Freddie, what i said was i think i could cut the 5 ball in and i still do. But my shot selection was to go off the 5 ball, banking it to my side and protecting it with the stack, and to roll the cue ball 2 rails ontop of the 10 ball. You cant shoot the 15-3 combo-bank because you can only see the right side of the 15 which would prevent you from pulling the cue ball down into the stack. Now im wondering what you would do in this situation? Sappo

Sappo, I'm a purist. I just think that except for those situations where there is only a ball or two on the WEI table, you cant really accurately determine the right shot. Even looking at shots off an accu-stats match, you just lose so much. I just believe you got to be at the table to get the real deal. Plus, the main reason is I can't operate that friggen thing too good. The other shot you're talking about is fine. Bugs however, would two rail the five ball, two rail the Qball behind the ten, make the bank and head home. Believe me, that was how he usually played that shot. Everytime I tried that, I would sell out.

the Beard