the game has changed ( nine ball )

philip guagliardo

Verified Member
first of all one pocket is the game period ! but lets talk about todays nine ball . when nine ball was invented it was a great game of shooters showing their talent making hard shots and putting pressure on your opponent rolling difficult shots out for him to make a decision whether to shoot or not . I use to see top players making great shots and breaking down opponents . today if you get out of line , you just play safe and hook the guy ! and better yet , you get a reward sometimes when you miss hooking the guy . where he has to make a kick shot and sell out ! before there were no real rewards if you hooked a guy he had an option to roll out a shot that challenged his opponents ability . the pressure of the game was far more difficult before ! if you could'nt shoot , you went home broke ! today I see more players relying on safeties more than shooting . I see a lot of players ducking the hard shots . not that they cant make them , but its the smart way to play today . well , for me the thrill of watching two good nine ball players is basically gone . the pressure of you must make that hard shot or lose is gone ! watching another player really break a guy down is gone is mostly gone ! I know a lot of players will disagree with me . but I liked old fashioned nine ball ! watching guys like jimmy mataya and pittsburgh billy shooting off the end rail breaking their opponent down was something to watch ! nine ball was a game to show your shotmaking ability not a game to show how good you can duck when you get out of line ! well I guess today is today and yesterday is long gone . I'll never like todays nine ball . thats why one pocket is the greatest game ever . the game has never changed .
race track phil

One Pocket Ghost

Verified Member
From
Ghosttown
If it ain't broke, don't fix it !

If it ain't broke, don't fix it !

philip guagliardo said:
. I'll never like todays nine ball . thats why one pocket is the greatest game ever. the game has never changed .
race track phil

Phil, I agree - thankfully the game of One Pocket hasn't changed and it is a thing of beauty....and no offense to Grady or Freddy the beard or any of the other people who have wanted to radically change the game and speed it up by spotting multiple balls that are behind the line, etc. - well, I say, tinker with something else, One Pocket ain't broke and don't need to be fixed. The Ghost