The Freezer vs T-Rex

OneRock

Verified Member
From
South Florida
AtLarge does a fantastic job with that!

This one jumped out at me -- how many games Tony came from behind to win. Really that 6 game difference was more than the difference in the match overall. It also indicates Scott played well, and put himself in position to win the match. What my eyes told me was that Tony just made so many great banks -- sometimes moving more than one ball -- he was able to "make things happen" in the mid to latter part of games that put him over the top.

Games in which the player had the lead at some point
Chohan -- 40 games, his 30 wins plus 10 games he lost.​
Frost -- 43 games, his 27 wins plus 16 games he lost.​

I felt that Scott played a better all-around game of one-pocket. But Tony came with some monstrous shots to turn some games around. Those are the kind of shots that can make you or break you on any given day. I was certainly more impressed by Scott.

J SCHWARZ

Verified Member
Here are some results from the Tony Chohan vs. Scott Frost "Champions Challenge" One-Pocket match played November 19-21, 2020 at Paradise Billiards in Lantana (Atlantis), Florida. Pay-per-view live streaming was provided by PoolActionTV.

This match was a 3-day race to 30 games, with play stopping each day when the leader reached multiples of 10. The lead commentator (by phone) was Jeremy Jones. Additional commentary, all from the site, was provided by Ray Hansen each day, Tom Wirth on part of Days 2 and 3, and Billy Incardona on part of Day 3. Chohan won the match 30 - 27.

Conditions -- The conditions for this match included:
- Diamond 9-foot table with 4¼" corner pockets and blue Simonis 860 HR cloth;
- triangle rack;
- rack your own with alternating breaks;
- re-break if a ball is made on the break (occurred twice);
- no shot clock;
- cue-ball fouls only; and
- lag for opening break on first day (won by Frost)

Match results, in games (Chohan's score first)
Day 1 -- 4 - 10
Day 2 -- 16 - 7 (2-day total 20 - 17)
Day 3 -- 10 - 10
Total -- 30 - 27

Games won by breaker
Chohan -- 14 of 28 (50%)
Frost -- 13 of 29 (45%)
Total -- 27 of 57 (47%)

Breaks by side of table (viewing from head to foot)
Chohan -- Broke from his right all 28 times (14 wins, 14 losses).
Frost -- Broke from his right all 29 times (13 wins, 16 losses).

Games won by player who scored the first point (or had it scored for him)
Chohan -- 20 of 28 (71%)
Frost -- 19 of 29 (66%)
Total -- 39 of 57 (68%)

Scratches on the break -- Once (by Frost, who won the game).

Balls made on the break -- Twice (once by each player, requiring a re-break).

Games in which the player had the lead at some point
Chohan -- 40 games, his 30 wins plus 10 games he lost.
Frost -- 43 games, his 27 wins plus 16 games he lost.

Ball counts by length of run* -- The total ball counts resulted from the following runs and fouls. Counts are given for Chohan first, then Frost, then the total.
1 ball -- 58 times, 60 times, 118 times
2 balls -- 26, 30, 56
3 balls -- 12, 13, 25
4 balls -- 8, 12, 20
5 balls -- 11, 7, 18
6 balls -- 3, 4, 7
7 balls -- 3, 3, 6
8 balls -- 3, 5, 8
9 balls -- 1, 0, 1
Plus balls pocketed by opponent -- 27, 19, 46
Minus fouls -- 34, 45, 79
TOTAL ball count -- 298, 301, 599
Average game score -- 8 - 2.8 for games won by Chohan, 8 - 2.1 for games won by Frost, 8 - 2.5 in total.

Distribution of run-outs to win the games.* Counts are given for Chohan first, then Frost, then the total.
1 ball -- 11 times, 10 times, 21 times (37% of the 57 games)
2 balls -- 9, 5, 14
3 balls -- 1, 1, 2
4 balls -- 2, 1, 3
5 balls -- 2, 3, 5
6 balls -- 0, 1, 1
7 balls -- 2, 1, 3
8 or 9 balls -- 3, 5, 8 (14%)
Average (mean) "out" run -- 3.2 balls
Average (median) "out" run -- 2 balls

Distribution of lengths of games
Under 10 minutes -- 11 games (19% of the 57 games)
10 - 19 min. -- 25
20 - 29 min. -- 10
30 - 59 min. -- 8
60+ min. -- 3 (longest 77 min.)
Total -- 57

Match length (including racking and timeouts)
Day 1 -- 5 hours, 23 minutes
Day 2 -- 9 hours, 54 min.
Day 3 -- 6 hours, 58 min.
Total -- 22 hours, 15 min.

Average minutes per game
Day 1 -- 23.1 (approx. 20.9 not counting timeouts)
Day 2 -- 25.8 (23.8)
Day 3 -- 20.9 (18.2)
Total -- 23.4 (21.1)

*May contain a few inaccuracies caused by my occasional loss of attention.
Here are the stats from Atlarge over on Azb. Interesting neither player won more than 50% on their break. Also interesting, the day Tony went on a 11-1 heater was the day with the longest games.

sappo

Verified Member
From
Tucson AZ
Thanks, Terry and Ray, you put together an excellent match. It was really enjoyable!
I also think the critics of the money in the middle are now silence, for these guys played their hearts out!
thanks again, Whitey
I still think $5000 is small potatoes t that level!!!

catkins

Verified Member
From
boulder creek ca
I felt that Scott played a better all-around game of one-pocket. But Tony came with some monstrous shots to turn some games around. Those are the kind of shots that can make you or break you on any given day. I was certainly more impressed by Scott.
I think this set seemed to me about who could take endless pressure better and tony would have won by a lot more games if his stamina held out day two. I think scott broke down day two and tony let him back into it in a big way. obviously they both played fantastic but to come back from a 10 4 deficit is and be up I think I saw 18 12 against one of the best one pocket players on the planet is an unbelievable accomplishment. The last day scott played hard and once he tied it up seemed to stop playing as hard . That is how I saw it adn was very imppresed with both players. Tony's banking on the last day stole the show on the last day. The one game where he made the two railer and than banked two long railers through a 4 inch gap . Hard to fade that

Dennis "Whitey" Young

Verified Member
From
Klamath Falls, Or.
I still think $5000 is small potatoes t that level!!!
Think what you want, but this is sure better than the match between Alex and Django hosted by Roy's Basement. Whereas, it looked like a free for all, good buddy match that I believe did not disclose any amount in the middle. Correct me if I am wrong.

As long as it is disclosed and it is enough so the players play as these guys did, I then think what the heck do sweaters care! I am good to go, and will pay the admission, gladly!
Whitey

TxOnePocket

Verified Member
From
Arlington,Texas -
Think what you want, but this is sure better than the match between Alex and Django hosted by Roy's Basement. Whereas, it looked like a free for all, good buddy match that I believe did not disclose any amount in the middle. Correct me if I am wrong.

As long as it is disclosed and it is enough so the players play as these guys did, I then think what the heck do sweaters care! I am good to go, and will pay the admission, gladly!
Whitey
Alex and Busti were playing out of there own pockets, something like $200 they mentioned during the stream. The entire point of the match was to give us something to watch while the entire country was locked down, i'm pretty sure it was not a PPV either, but a Free Stream Ray did.

AtLarge

Here are the stats from Atlarge over on Azb. Interesting neither player won more than 50% on their break. Also interesting, the day Tony went on a 11-1 heater was the day with the longest games.

Thanks, Terry Hanna and J SCHWARZ, you beat me to posting the stats over here.

Last edited:

sappo

Verified Member
From
Tucson AZ

Whitey
so what's your point? I can't think and say i feel its a cheap match between 2 big time gambler that lasts 3 days without you challanging my statement? Keith

Dennis "Whitey" Young

Verified Member
From
Klamath Falls, Or.
so what's your point? I can't think and say i feel its a cheap match between 2 big time gambler that lasts 3 days without you challanging my statement? Keith
Sappo, read my reply, It states; "think what you want"! You challenged my statement, I then replied!
Your opinion your thoughts, I just do not agree, no argument, just discussion.
I am ok with you not agreeing with me, I really am, I really could care less!
Scott Frost explained his position on the bet, he did not have to, but, I am more than good for I know a bet is all relevant to the circumstances at the time.
You know these pros will buck heads in a tournament for hopefully 1st place prize that is not much different than this, and the odds are sure not 50/50, but more like 20 to 1 or more or less. Whitey

Last edited:

sheldon

Verified Member
From
Springfield Oregon
Anyone know where a person could find a shirt like Scott was wearing on day 2?

sappo

Verified Member
From
Tucson AZ
Sappo, read my reply, It states; "think what you want"! You challenged my statement, I then replied!
Your opinion your thoughts, I just do not agree, no argument, just discussion.
I am ok with you not agreeing with me, I really am, I really could care less!
Scott Frost explained his position on the bet, he did not have to, but, I am more than good for I know a bet is all relevant to the circumstances at the time.
You know these pros will buck heads in a tournament for hopefully 1st place prize that is not much different than this, and the odds are sure not 50/50, but more like 20 to 1 or more or less. Whitey
Just to end this thing, I didn't challange your statement you challenged mine. In post # 38 I expressed my surprise that the bet was a mere $5000 considering the 2 big gamblers that were playing, Then today in post #100 you said " the critics of the money are now silenced". I wrote back saying I still think $5000 was small potatoes for these 2 guys. Then you came back with your last post saying I challenged you, which I never did. And then you talk about Alex and Busty's match that has nothing to do with this bet and you say it was at Roys Basement which it wasn't. I just don't understand what point you are trying to make. Sappo

OneRock

Verified Member
From
South Florida
Guys, this wasn't about the money. It was mostly to promote the new poolroom. Of course, the two players played their hearts out.

Dennis "Whitey" Young

Verified Member
From
Klamath Falls, Or.
Just to end this thing, I didn't challange your statement you challenged mine. In post # 38 I expressed my surprise that the bet was a mere $5000 considering the 2 big gamblers that were playing, Then today in post #100 you said " the critics of the money are now silenced". I wrote back saying I still think $5000 was small potatoes for these 2 guys. Then you came back with your last post saying I challenged you, which I never did. And then you talk about Alex and Busty's match that has nothing to do with this bet and you say it was at Roys Basement which it wasn't. I just don't understand what point you are trying to make. Sappo
Sorry Sappo, but just show me where I replied to your post # 38, and specifically called you out. I did not, why in the world would I do that. Why in the world would I single out one sole comment out of this thread. Now if there were quite a few members voicing this then yes I would of spoke up in disagreement.

No, I replied to the fact that Frost felt he had to make a statement about the money because I guess it was a topic he had to field somewhat, thus he clarified his position.
My initial comment regarding this subject was addressed to Terry and Ray, and based upon Frost's statement, with the intent; 'the money be danged those guys played their hearts out'.

Take care, and sorry you thought my 'initial statement' was directed towards you, but no I do not think that way.
No worries on my end. Whitey

Dennis "Whitey" Young

Verified Member
From
Klamath Falls, Or.
I stayed tuned in after the match, and Pilot got matched up and was playing on the challenge table. I do not think he misses out on an opportunity, much. Lucky guy. That table is set up pretty awesome! The best I've seen, a true tester of one's ability!
I was wondering if Paradise keeps that challenge table and area set up like that, or is that set up special. Appears to be a very nice pool hall.
Whitey

Scrzbill

Verified Member
From
Eagles Rest, Wa

Whitey
I think Dennis that you are comparing apples to oranges. Scott is a technical ion of one pocket. I never truly gave home enough credit for his complete knowledge of one pocket until this match. Tony when he is making shots like the last day can beat anyone. Alex and Dennis play a smothering type of one pocket forcing the opponent to play mistake free. Neither one gets too far out of line although Alex is the more imaginable of the two. Tony/Scott had elements of a revenge match and Dennis and Alex have no rivalry except who is number one. Dennis, if you came to my house we could finalize this discussion. Please bring a van or pick up to take home your winnings, because I am liable to go off.