the break heard around the world

lll

Verified Member
From
vero beach fl
if you havent seen it
IT WORKED THIS TIME!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Dennis "Whitey" Young

Verified Member
From
Klamath Falls, Or.
At 9 min. mark Cory should of gone rail first into the 3. This could of been a game winner. This just exemplifies Corey's lack of knowledge, and thus his oh well break, I might as well open them up, for I can not move with one of the top 2 movers in the world. You can see Alex laughing on the side lines. It is very hilarious!
A big thanks to Larry for this one! Thank You! Whitey

Last edited:

wincardona

Verified Member
From
Dallas Tx.
That was great to watch, and it brings back wonderful memories on the colorful characters that made life so exciting and entertaining. I miss Grady and Johnny a lot and thank you Larry for digging this tape from your collection it was a real "doozy" loved it.

Dr. Bill

wincardona

Verified Member
From
Dallas Tx.
that break has some merit but not much, for a run out player playing someone who out moves him badly.

ive used it against someone who i would win no matter what i did and he was time constrained. this way you get more games in. and that was decades before anyone talked about it.

winning money at gambling and winning in tournaments are two entirely different things. and those that dont see it and adjust probably lose at both.
I love reading your post and totally enjoy how you don't "sugar coat" anything, your candid replies are on spot 98% of the time.

Dr. Bill

Jimmy B

Verified Member
That was great to watch, and it brings back wonderful memories on the colorful characters that made life so exciting and entertaining. I miss Grady and Johnny a lot and thank you Larry for digging this tape from your collection it was a real "doozy" loved it.

Dr. Bill

It was a great one to watch. The unusualness of it made it interesting. That break and like the first game.. Corey pocket scratches unintentionally four times and still wins. How often do you get away with that against The Cannon.. Thanks Lar....

gulfportdoc

Verified Member
From
Gulfport, Mississippi
Has it been 20 years already?? I haven't re-watched the match, but as you know, Corey stated that he knew he couldn't out-move Daulton, so he wanted chances to run out right from the git-go. He'd been experimenting with the break, and it turned out pretty well for him.

Shannon had played good one-pocket since the mid-'90s. He beat Efren 4-3 at the '98 Legends. But IMO in this match Shannon was so shocked, and later felt so disrespected, that Corey had used the smash-em break against Daulton, that it unnerved him so much that he played atypical sub-par 1P. You can just read his emotions on his face.

cincy_kid

Verified Member
From
Cincinnati, OH
I am still in the middle of watching this one. Cory looks so young (I know, he was! is!)

I remember when I first started seeing him hit the pool scene. Mike Janis (I think was his name) had a travelling 9 ball tour and I would see Cory show up at a lot of them, I think he was hanging out with Dee Adkins at the time, but he was pretty darn young (14/15 maybe?)

Man those are the exact tables of what I remember playing on in my prime, brings back some memories!

Last edited:

Bob Jewett

Verified Member
From
Berkeley, CA
I heard about that match but hadn't seen it. It reminds me a snooker match I just saw....

You may have heard of Ronnie O'Sullivan. He plays eight ball well enough to beat me, and he does play some pretty good snooker.

In the recent World Championship he was playing former world champ Mark Selby in the semifinals. Selby is known as "The Jester" but few people smile when playing him because of his safety play. He is also known as "The Torturer" and "The Anaconda". You get the idea.

Towards the end of their match, when Ronnie was losing and feeling crushed, he changed his tactics. When Selby left him behind a ball and no good shot to the reds, Ronnie smashed the cue ball off a bumper and into the reds.

That shot is played some times but only when there is absolutely no way to go, for example, two or three rails to softly hit the back of a red. (Of course, after any soft safe, Selby might just skim off the nearest red and torture you again with distance and blockage.) I don't think I've ever seen O'Sullivan play the shot because he can almost always figure out a way to play safe safely.

Selby was startled and perplexed. Ronnie was no longer playing his game. Ronnie won the semis and the finals for his sixth world championship. Not bad for an old guy. (y)

Selby later said that Ronnie was not respecting him or the game.

TxOnePocket

Verified Member
From
Arlington,Texas -
What stood out the most to me in this match was how much Shannon let it piss him off, like he was shocked every single time Corey broke, in games 5 and 6 he shot a few shots I'm not sure he would have shot in a more conventual game, and I believe strongly if he'd have just started moving balls up table he'd have made easy work of the less experienced player. He just couldn't control his urge to start running balls and show him how dumb Corey was.

Tom Wirth

Verified Member
From
Delray Beach, Florida
Corey used the same bust'em up break on me way back when. When was back in the day when he knew he was out classed in OP knowledge. Not shooting. It wasn't in this tournament. It could have been in an earlier event, possibly Roanoke. I do remember he got clean away with it, making a ball in his pocket once and hooking me another time. We talked about afterwards and he made it clear he felt that with the balls open there was less a chance of me trapping him. Right or wrong, that was his opinion at the time.

As far as the odd use of the bridge, I did'n't see him use it as he did it the "Is this legal" thread but as I mentioned in that thread Santos used it against me. He laid it across the side rails to support his bridge hand. I saw nothing wrong in it and felt it to be a novel way to use it. Still do. Of course if some tournament decides to prohibit this method I will abide that ruling.

And yes, that's me in the background. I don't remember who I was playing but I'm sure I won that match. I did pretty well finishing 7th 8th if I remember correctly. Finally losing to Mike LeBron. Along the way I beat notables Larry Lisciotti and Santos Sambajon. One match in particular was extremely gratifying. Not the match you see in the Corey vs Shannon background.

I was matched up with this annoying player. Right from the start he was doing things and saying things to try to get me off my game. He never let up! It wasn't working but he did manage to get the match hill, hill. It was to be my break. He racked the balls, removed the triangle and walked away. I suppose he went to the john but never said a word to me about it. Well, I didn't appreciate it and told the ref what happened. He said that because it was my break, and the balls were racked and ready to go, I had the right to proceed with my inning. I broke the balls with the ref as witness and one fell in me pocket. the ref allowed me to continue and seven balls later I was out and had won the match with this guy still in the bathroom. When he returned he was understandably bewildered. The ref explained what had happened and that he had stayed to witness the run and that I had fairly won the game and match! I was elated!

Had this guy asked for a bathroom break or had been civil during the match I would have waited on him, but that wasn't the case and he paid the price for being him. Sometimes karma can be a bitch! It was for him.

Tom