T-Rex vs Robocop Big Money One Pocket Action Rubber Match

beatle

Verified Member
if tony was betting his own money then he is a complete sucker for letting dennis take a long time on each shot. you beat a guy before you get to the table.

Mr.J

Mochi of Backgammon fame is faster than Dennis in making a choice lol That was tough, respect to JR! What a leather ass

NH Steve

Administrator
From
New Hampshire
I really enjoyed Josh Roberts' free flowing commentary. Listening, you had an inside seat to his own One Pocket mind, as he checked down different options with every fresh situation. One thing he frequently did, which to me enriched his commentary a lot, was that he would go on to speculate on what the next shooter would do back at the current shooter, if they chose a particular shot, and how the shooter might need to fine tune a particular choice to control that. That's high level One Pocket thinking!

It was also great to often hear "one of ours" -- either LSJohn or the Col in the booth along with Josh -- great job all around! PS I hope you two didn't learn too much lol :D:D

BRLongArm

Verified Member
Well, I think Tony has seen enough. There won't be a Tony/Dennis 4, in my opinion. Dennis is just the better player at this point. Tony gave it all he had, but he just doesn't run the balls well enough to keep up with Dennis.

Many other matches to see though.

Chip and Tony probably have a match in the near future. Chip is playing great and has new stake horses that are excited by the prospects.

Evan Lunda is looking for a game with the top 10. Maybe he can challenge Shannon. That would be an interesting match, with opinions on both sides. That makes a good bet.

Perhaps the most compelling match is Dennis/Alex. We will see after Derby whether there is any interest by them in playing each other.

cincy_kid

Verified Member
From
Cincinnati, OH
Well even though I "thought" it may go this way, it is disheartening that an American pool player cant be one of the top 2 (or 3 maybe) - at least not now with Alex and Dennis on top with Busty maybe a not too distant 3rd?

I am excited however at the upcoming matches and yea I agree, would love to see shannon and lunda play!

BRLongArm

Verified Member
Well even though I "thought" it may go this way, it is disheartening that an American pool player cant be one of the top 2 (or 3 maybe) - at least not now with Alex and Dennis on top with Busty maybe a not too distant 3rd?

I am excited however at the upcoming matches and yea I agree, would love to see shannon and lunda play!

Busty got beat by Tony last year. Tony is still 3, but Busty and Corey and SVB are right there.

cincy_kid

Verified Member
From
Cincinnati, OH
Busty got beat by Tony last year. Tony is still 3, but Busty and Corey and SVB are right there.

I would like to see a busty / tony rematch too then. If Tony played like he played this past session, I like Busty don't you?

On a side note on slow play, when I watched the first battle of Orcollo/Chohan, I could not believe how slow Dennis played, I wouldn't be able to take it as his opponent myself.

I know there are plenty of members on the forums who would not be for a shot clock in one hole, but I am for sure one that would be for it. Even if its 60 seconds instead of 30, that should be plenty per shot! just my 2 cents...

Hard Times Carla

Verified Member
Great job by Josh Roberts in the Booth

Great job by Josh Roberts in the Booth

I really enjoyed the commentary from Josh. He was very good at explaining the shot he would take and why. Also very good at explaining how he would run out from various places and why.

Thanks Josh, and thanks Ray.

Terry Hanna

Verified Member
From
Las Vegas Nevada
Congratulations to Robocop Dennis Orcollo on his 40-30 win over Chohan.

This guy is amazing.

He stays in big action like nobody else. Often giving up huge handicaps.

He has been on a non-stop tour of big money games and tournaments crisscrossing the country.

Back & forth between Las Vegas and Houston side trip to Kansas and lately New Orleans :eek:

70662266_522817348286489_6288852231911374848_n.jpg

Capture.jpg

Last edited:

catkins

Verified Member
From
boulder creek ca
Considering how much Dennis out shot Tony I think the score does not represent how well tony played. Dennis is (I would argue) the best pocketer on the planet over long periods of time and is carrying a lot less weight than tony which over three days has to make a big difference. When tony moved he won games but the problem is that even after 30 minutes of out moving your opponent and pecking away at there lead Dennis whenever given a shot for the money almost no matter how bad , made it. That is huge pressure on some one no matter how good they play to realize that every mistake will cost them the game even if the balls don't lie great. From what I saw untill the very end of the last day tony still had his mind on the game and I have huge respect for that.

Terry Hanna

Verified Member
From
Las Vegas Nevada
considering how much dennis out shot tony i think the score does not represent how well tony played. Dennis is (i would argue) the best pocketer on the planet over long periods of time and is carrying a lot less weight than tony which over three days has to make a big difference. when tony moved he won games but the problem is that even after 30 minutes of out moving your opponent and pecking away at there lead dennis whenever given a shot for the money almost no matter how bad , made it. That is huge pressure on some one no matter how good they play to realize that every mistake will cost them the game even if the balls don't lie great. From what i saw untill the very end of the last day tony still had his mind on the game and i have huge respect for that.

Match was actually four days :)

This was a long grueling race to 40 over four days that really seemed to take toll on Tony.

On the other hand Robo is like a machine, after playing Tony each night he made bee line to the other tables and played other big action matches all night every night

Capture.PNG.................

Last edited:

wgcp

Verified Member
From
long beach, mississippi
This was a great match to sweat in New Orleans with Mary k. Of course sitting in the booth with josh and having the best seat in the house didn’t hurt. Josh analyzed each shot and I got to ask him questions on the how the cue ball would react to certain shots. He is a great guy and showed me how to hit a couple of the shots we discussed during the commentary.

Members beware lsjohn him giving me 9 to 6 was tough to fade...

Being in the booth was an honor that ray Hansen allowed to me to do. It was a lot of fun and very informative...hope I didn’t sound to much like a geek while doing it.

See some of you guys in Southaven in a couple of weeks...

B

Terry Hanna

Verified Member
From
Las Vegas Nevada
This was a great match to sweat in New Orleans with Mary k. Of course sitting in the booth with josh and having the best seat in the house didn’t hurt. Josh analyzed each shot and I got to ask him questions on the how the cue ball would react to certain shots. He is a great guy and showed me how to hit a couple of the shots we discussed during the commentary.

Being in the booth was an honor that ray Hansen allowed to me to do. It was a lot of fun and very informative...hope I didn’t sound to much like a geek while doing it.

B

Great Job, you and Josh were a great team worked well together in the booth IMO

71497431_1116299505245961_7502028309455175680_n.jpg

ok.jpg

Nick B

Verified Member
From
Vancouver, Canada

B
Brother you sounded like a late night FM DJ...old pro.

...You are listening to sweet jams of Billie Miller. Bringing you the platters that matter.

Both of you gents represented us well.

Thecoats

Well-Known-Member
From
Kansas City, MO
I would like to see a busty / tony rematch too then. If Tony played like he played this past session, I like Busty don't you?

On a side note on slow play, when I watched the first battle of Orcollo/Chohan, I could not believe how slow Dennis played, I wouldn't be able to take it as his opponent myself.

I know there are plenty of members on the forums who would not be for a shot clock in one hole, but I am for sure one that would be for it. Even if its 60 seconds instead of 30, that should be plenty per shot! just my 2 cents...

I think a shot clock with a decent amount of extensions per game, like five, would be fair. I have played one pocked for about 25 years and most decisions come within a few seconds but every now and then you have to really think a situation through.

Just my 02 cents on the topic, it felt to me like Dennis was slow playing a little in some situation that looked fairly obvious. But with no clock that is his prerogative.

-don

wincardona

Verified Member
From
Dallas Tx.
Dennis Orcollo is one of if not the best pool player in the world today, he has proven that for over 10 years. His one pocket knowledge is top shelf and he has adapted well with the style he is comfortable playing with. He strikes balls as good as any player that I have ever watched play.

Todays one pocket is totally different than it was in the 70's, 80's and even the 90's, the better ball strikers are the ones that are winning because the understanding of the game is no longer a secret and because of that the best pool players are dominating.

I think Alex and Dennis would be a great match and to pick a favorite would be very hard to do. If they played I would put it up 6/5 pick it. That line would encourage people to bet with one another because it's a flip of a coin.

However, there are a lot of very good players that are under Alex and Dennis and they are tightly grouped which would be exciting to watch. Chip Compton obviously has risen his game to compete with players like Chohan, Bustamante, Frost, Lunda, Deuel, Daulton, and VanBoening. So you can see how closely grouped these guys are and if Ray Hansen can promote wisely there will be a lot of great matches in store for the future.

On a side note.....Orcollo gave Lunda 9/7 and won, that gives us a better understanding on how much of a difference there is when we grade players against Alex and Dennis. With either Dennis or Alex playing any one in a race to 40 IMO the price for any one beating either one of these two would have to be extremely high. The player that I think that would have the best chance of winning a race to 40 would be VanBoening because of his ball striking ability, plus he also carries a more intimidating presence on his opponent regardless of whom it may be.

Dr. Bill

BRLongArm

Verified Member
Dennis Orcollo is one of if not the best pool player in the world today, he has proven that for over 10 years. His one pocket knowledge is top shelf and he has adapted well with the style he is comfortable playing with. He strikes balls as good as any player that I have ever watched play.

Todays one pocket is totally different than it was in the 70's, 80's and even the 90's, the better ball strikers are the ones that are winning because the understanding of the game is no longer a secret and because of that the best pool players are dominating.

I think Alex and Dennis would be a great match and to pick a favorite would be very hard to do. If they played I would put it up 6/5 pick it. That line would encourage people to bet with one another because it's a flip of a coin.

However, there are a lot of very good players that are under Alex and Dennis and they are tightly grouped which would be exciting to watch. Chip Compton obviously has risen his game to compete with players like Chohan, Bustamante, Frost, Lunda, Deuel, Daulton, and VanBoening. So you can see how closely grouped these guys are and if Ray Hansen can promote wisely there will be a lot of great matches in store for the future.

On a side note.....Orcollo gave Lunda 9/7 and won, that gives us a better understanding on how much of a difference there is when we grade players against Alex and Dennis. With either Dennis or Alex playing any one in a race to 40 IMO the price for any one beating either one of these two would have to be extremely high. The player that I think that would have the best chance of winning a race to 40 would be VanBoening because of his ball striking ability, plus he also carries a more intimidating presence on his opponent regardless of whom it may be.

Dr. Bill

He won a race to 5 double hill and Lunda asked him to play the next day and he declined. I don't think he'd like to give the line up you mentioned 9 to 7 on a regular basis. Dennis is my boy, but 9-7 is a real spot that will show up. I do know that he gave Corey 8-7 last year at the Derby and won one set.

Last edited:

NH Steve

Administrator
From
New Hampshire
I think a shot clock with a decent amount of extensions per game, like five, would be fair. I have played one pocked for about 25 years and most decisions come within a few seconds but every now and then you have to really think a situation through.

Just my 02 cents on the topic, it felt to me like Dennis was slow playing a little in some situation that looked fairly obvious. But with no clock that is his prerogative.

-don
That is the idea with shot clocks for sure -- a basic clock like 60 sec per shot, with a certain number of extensions. Accustats has been using this format for quite a few years now at the TV table at DCC and for their own Make it Happen events. Players are automatically rolled into an extension if the go over their 60 seconds, unless they have actually run out of their extensions, in which case they are finally actually penalized by having to give up the table, and a foul I believe. I believe Accustats uses 60 seconds and maybe a couple of extensions?? I'm not sure of the number of extensions they get per game.

Most of the time those slow playing players go back to a shot they saw early on, so wtf??? I remember watching JJ at DCC in one match, he may have taken close to 5 minutes, and the shot was dead obvious, which of course he eventually shot. Players that do this will do this over and over if they are allowed to. It kills the flow of the game for their opponent (as intended) as well as for the spectators. Pat Fleming of Accustats of course uses the shot clock for the benefit of those people buying and watching his vids, but in a cash match like this, If you are NOT one of those drag ass players, I would definitely be asking for a clock vs one of the players that is.

BTW if we see Chip Compton vs Tony (being talked about already) -- no shot clock will be needed because Chip like Tony gets right to it!!