T. Chohan vs. A. Pagulayan 2006 D.C.C.

wincardona

Verified Member
From
Dallas Tx.
First game, no score and it's Alex's shot. What would you do?

View attachment 5647

View attachment 5648
This position is a strong position for Alex and imo a kick into the stack is the best shot. But I believe that the way you kick, in terms of speed is crucial from this position. It's going to be very hard for Chohan to turn this position around, unless Alex allows him to. Like I mentioned the kick is the best shot, and I also feel strongly that the softer kick is a much better shot than the hard kick. I'll explain. By kicking hard there is a risk that you could either scratch, or leave a desperation shot for Chohan, both of those things could possibly allow Chohan out of a situation that would ordinarily be hopeless. Kicking hard= "overkill" kicking medium soft=" improving your position and protecting it." If you don't give anything away from here the position is strong enough for you to build off of it and win easily.

Dr. Bill

lll

Verified Member
From
vero beach fl
This position is a strong position for Alex and imo a kick into the stack is the best shot. But I believe that the way you kick, in terms of speed is crucial from this position. It's going to be very hard for Chohan to turn this position around, unless Alex allows him to. Like I mentioned the kick is the best shot, and I also feel strongly that the softer kick is a much better shot than the hard kick. I'll explain. By kicking hard there is a risk that you could either scratch, or leave a desperation shot for Chohan, both of those things could possibly allow Chohan out of a situation that would ordinarily be hopeless. Kicking hard= "overkill" kicking medium soft=" improving your position and protecting it." If you don't give anything away from here the position is strong enough for you to build off of it and win easily.

Dr. Bill

by kicking medium soft are you taking a foul???

i thought to thin off the 3 (not the 7 as first posted ...thanks dennis ) off the long rail to hit about the first diamond from the corner poxcket on chohans side up table and have the cue land at about one diamond up from the corner on chohans long rail
the 8-4 ball block the 10-3(hopefully i loosened them up to go in my pocket)
i assune the 2 stripes near the foot spot are not a dead combo to chohans pocket
also if they were im not sure he would kick at it now
cc1.jpg

Last edited:

One Pocket Ghost

Verified Member
From
Ghosttown
Three good shots here - all are good choices....Billy's kick...Larry's thinning of the 7, which opens up the 7, which is a good thing (gotta be mindful of the scratch in the corner pocket though, with this shot)...and thirdly, the shot I might very well choose here, if, it lays well enough - can't tell for sure from the pic - which is to play the 13 off the 9 carom cross-corner...if it lays naturally enough to make the 13, good - and if the natural lie is too thin of a carom to make the 13 straight in, then you play it to go into the 14, thus possibly making the 13 or the 14, or at the very least, sending several balls towards your pocket...as for the cueball, I'd have to be at the table to see whether I would prefer to jam-freeze against the 6, stun forward a little, or go forward further to the long rail and back out a little - and considering where the 9 would go, would be part of this equation.

- Ghost

Last edited:

Ken_4fun

Verified Member
Not me.

Not me.

Not me, I would kick into the stack trying freeze up on the 9, trying to drive maybe just one or two balls to the rail.

If I error here, it would be that I didnt get a ball to the rail verses hitting it too hard.

Freezing it up could be a powerful move IMO.

ken

wincardona

Verified Member
From
Dallas Tx.
by kicking medium soft are you taking a foul???

i thought to thin off the 7 off the long rail to hit about the first diamond from the corner poxcket on chohans side up table and have the cue land at about one diamond up from the corner on chohans long rail
the 8-4 ball block the 10-7??(hopefully i loosened them up to go in my pocket)
i assune the 2 stripes near the foot spot are not a dead combo to chohans pocket
also if they were im not sure he would kick at it now
View attachment 5649

Your shot is also an option, with your shot you're loosening up two balls that are tied up and sending the cue ball up table. As a return shot you will probably leave Chohan the option to play off the 1 ball and float down by your pocket. Then from there you can kick into the stack. But the 1 ball then may be on Chohan's side of the table. I like kicking from the initial position, the balls that are tied up will eventually be loosened up on subsequent shots.

The answer to your question about 'kicking to take an intentional' is a good one. Yes for the most part, but kicking with the peed to loosen the balls a little more, to create possible future options.

Dr. Bill

Cowboy Dennis

Verified Member
From
Detroit,Michigan
Ball numbers for old dudes

Ball numbers for old dudes

Before we start arguing about which ball we are shooting:eek:.

When playing with ball racks that have pink & brown balls on the table the:

solid brown is the 7 ball

stripe brown is the 15 ball

solid pink is the 4 ball

stripe pink is the 12 ball

ball numbers.jpg

lll

Verified Member
From
vero beach fl
Your shot is also an option, with your shot you're loosening up two balls that are tied up and sending the cue ball up table. As a return shot you will probably leave Chohan the option to play off the 1 ball and float down by your pocket. Then from there you can kick into the stack. But the 1 ball then may be on Chohan's side of the table. I like kicking from the initial position, the balls that are tied up will eventually be loosened up on subsequent shots.

The answer to your question about 'kicking to take an intentional' is a good one. Yes for the most part, but kicking with the peed to loosen the balls a little more, to create possible future options.

Dr. Bill
billy my first shot was to kick into the stack but medium firm/hard to drive balls to the rail and push alot of balls to my side
when you said that wasnt so good and wanted medium soft i didnt see how at that speed you would drive a ball to the rail
hence the question ablut the intentional scratch

jtompilot

Verified Member
From
New Orleans
Three good shots here - all are good choices....Billy's kick...Larry's thinning of the 7, which opens up the 7, which is a good thing (gotta be mindful of the scratch in the corner pocket though, with this shot)...and thirdly, the shot I might very well choose here, if, it lays well enough - can't tell for sure from the pic - which is to play the 13 off the 9 carom cross-corner...if it lays naturally enough to make the 13, good - and if the natural lie is too thin of a carom to make the 13 straight in, then you play it to go into the 14, thus possibly making the 13 or the 14, or at the very least, sending several balls towards your pocket...as for the cueball, I'd have to be at the table to see whether I would prefer to jam-freeze against the 6, stun forward a little, or go forward further to the long rail and back out a little - and considering where the 9 would go, would be part of this equation.

- Ghost

Dang Ghost you beat me to it. I was also looking at the 13 with stun. Looks like the 13 will go into the 14.

Larry's shot is also a good one, but I'm sure I'd scratch

Frank Almanza

Verified Member
From
Upland, California

- Ghost

I like your shot best if it lays correctly to play the 13 off the nine and nestle the cue ball against the six or deeper if possible. The 13 ball might have to go off the 14 ball but it would be better if it didn't go. Having the 13 ball near the short rail and hiding it would certainly better your advantage.

Larry's shot is also a good one and he can expect Chohan to play off the one and take cue ball toward your pocket when then you can play the the soft kick but like Dr. Bill says Tony will have the one on his side of the table.

The kick would only be good if you could loosen up some balls to your side. If not, IMO there are ways out of being stuck behind the stack. I would be hesitant to give up a ball by taking an intentional here.

wincardona

Verified Member
From
Dallas Tx.

- Ghost
I looked at that shot but didn't like the kiss angle it was laying on. Plus the cue ball is close to the rail and controlling it could be a problem. But if the angle is good enough to send the 13 ball toward the 14 ball I would shoot the shot without hesitation. With elevation and a sold hit on the 13 ball with medium hard speed, you'll be able to control the cue ball and can expect good action with the shot. But it all lays with how the 13 is laying. But again a very strong shot if laying right.

Ghost, I wouldn't try to go forward with the cue ball because of the position of the cue ball almost frozen to the rail. I know you said that you'd have to be at the table to decide, but going forward will make this shot play much tougher, imo.
Dr. Bill

Cowboy Dennis

Verified Member
From
Detroit,Michigan
No cookies for you:p. Alex banked the 14 straight-back and put the rock uptable. It was high-risk for little reward (unless he made it). Tony kicked it away and the game continued.

AP's Shot.jpg

CapturedPicture_5.Jpeg