Sylver Ochoa vs Rafael Martinez

SJDinPHX

Suspended
One Pocket Ghost said:
...and the result is...

Rafael dominates Sylver..:eek:..final score, 7-2...railbirds say Rafael was playing great.

- Ghost

Looks like maybe the kid needs just a little more seasoning...ya think ?... Seriously, from what I've seen, Raphael can throw a lot of champions off their game..:eek:

One Pocket Ghost

Verified Member
From
Ghosttown
SJDinPHX said:
Looks like maybe the kid needs just a little more seasoning...ya think ?... Seriously, from what I've seen, Raphael can throw a lot of champions off their game..:eek:

Papie....I guess I must agree, since this was part of my post from last week, before they played, analyzing the match-up >>>

One Pocket Ghost said:
I thought of how Rafael is much more 'seasoned' than Sylver, and has a very strong mental game, and I wonder if that might show up in their match...

- Ghost

wincardona

Verified Member
From
Dallas Tx.
One Pocket Ghost said:
Papie....I guess I must agree, since this was part of my post from last week, before they played, analyzing the match-up >>>

- Ghost

I don't think it was a case of lack of seasoning on Sylvers part, as much as it was a case of great execution by Martinez. Sylver has enough seasoning to beat any player, he has proven that. He's beaten Joyner many times for decent money, he's also played Gabe a very closely contested match and barely lost. He has been playing the best players for almost 5 years and holding up quite well. Martinez on the other hand has a style that will make or break him, it made him. He's a very aggressive player to say the least, and can execute with the best.

Billy I.

jrhendy

Verified Member
From
Placerville, CA
gulfportdoc said:
Dick, do you have any idea of what the stakes were?

Doc

Doc, there was a post on Az that this may have been more of an exhibition match and not a big $$ gambling game.

Maybe we will never know, but I pulled out of my bet with Bernie when I heard that.

Plus, they are friends and Rafael was living and playing in Texas when Sylver was coming up.

I do not think either one would go for any monkey business, but it may or may not have been a real serious match.

Like you, I would like to know the bet. Might change my opinion.

One Pocket Ghost

Verified Member
From
Ghosttown
wincardona said:
I don't think it was a case of lack of seasoning on Sylvers part, as much as it was a case of great execution by Martinez. Sylver has enough seasoning to beat any player, he has proven that. He's beaten Joyner many times for decent money, he's also played Gabe a very closely contested match and barely lost. He has been playing the best players for almost 5 years and holding up quite well. Martinez on the other hand has a style that will make or break him, it made him. He's a very aggressive player to say the least, and can execute with the best.

Billy I.

As I've previously posted...I'm fully aware of Sylver's impressive game, and who he's played and done well against, and I'm fully aware of Rafael's style of play...that said, just answer me this question, yes or no...

In this particular match-up = Sylver vs. Rafael, if it's for serious $$$...do you think Sylver's mental toughness is the equal of Rafael's?

- Ghost

wincardona

Verified Member
From
Dallas Tx.
One Pocket Ghost said:
As I've previously posted...I'm fully aware of Sylver's impressive game, and who he's played and done well against, and I'm fully aware of Rafael's style of play...that said, just answer me this question, yes or no...

In this particular match-up = Sylver vs. Rafael, if it's for serious $$$...do you think Sylver's mental toughness is the equal of Rafael's?

- Ghost
The answer to your question is no, but the question is a trick question.
I think that Martinez has a mental toughness over almost any player, but that doesn't mean that he can beat any player. I also believe that Sylver has enough mental toughness to beat anyone on a given day. So imo the difference in the mental toughness between these two players is not the difference maker. Sylver loves playing, regardless of the platform. He has shown me that he relishes the opportunity to show his skills, and plays well under the pressure.

I know Martinez well, having played him several times and watched him play many times. He plays with a lot of heart and has a lot of confidence in himself. He plays a very high risk game, and when it's clicking he will kick anyones ass.

Mental toughness shows up in the long run, not when someone wins 7 games to 2 games. That's an explosion.;)

Billy I.

One Pocket Ghost

Verified Member
From
Ghosttown
wincardona said:
The answer to your question is no.

Thank you...that's what I said as part of my assessment of this match-up.

Mental toughness shows up in the long run, not when someone wins 7 games to 2 games.

That statement is totally incorrect - I can't believe you said it...mental toughness/outplaying your opponent under pressure can show up in 1 game, a race to 3 games or any amount of games - not just in the "long run" ....and as for you saying that, mental toughness wouldn't show up when someone beats someone 7-2 - well, for example, if the guy who only got 2 games was dogging shots, causing him to get badly beat 7-2, that sure as hell is a lack of mental toughness showing up...:rolleyes:

Billy I.

.....Ghost

wincardona

Verified Member
From
Dallas Tx.
One Pocket Ghost said:
.....Ghost

Bruce would you like for me to say that the reason Martinez won 7 games to 2 games was because he was mentally too tough? Ok Martinez was mentally too tough.

Billy I.

One Pocket Ghost

Verified Member
From
Ghosttown
wincardona said:
Bruce would you like for me to say that the reason Martinez won 7 games to 2 games was because he was mentally too tough?

Billy I.

Nope, not at all...but if you were to allow for that possibility, I think that would show improvement on your part...:)

- Ghost

wincardona

Verified Member
From
Dallas Tx.
One Pocket Ghost said:
Nope, not at all...but if you were to allow for that possibility, I think that would show improvement on your part...:)

- Ghost
CHAMPIONS DON'T GET BEAT 7 TO 2 BECAUSE THEY LACK MENTAL TOUGHNESS. iF THEY DID THEY WOULDN'T BE A CHAMPION.

pleeez.:rolleyes:

Billy I.

wincardona

Verified Member
From
Dallas Tx.
One Pocket Ghost said:
.....Ghost

Thank you...that's what I said as part of my assessment of this match-up.

Mental toughness shows up in the long run, not when someone wins 7 games to 2 games.

That statement is totally incorrect - I can't believe you said it...mental toughness/outplaying your opponent under pressure can show up in 1 game, a race to 3 games or any amount of games - not just in the "long run" ....and as for you saying that, mental toughness wouldn't show up when someone beats someone 7-2 - well, for example, if the guy who only got 2 games was dogging shots, causing him to get badly beat 7-2, that sure as hell is a lack of mental toughness showing up...

We're not talking about someone playing someone, we're talking about two champions.
There's a difference in case you aren't aware of it.

Champions are supposed to have mental toughness, and if a champion is slightly weaker in that area it won't show in the first 9 games.
Like I said when I sent you a private message, it takes more than a short race to take the spirit from a champion, that's why their champions because they believe in themselves and have the skills to back it up.

When someone implies that a champion doesn't have the mental toughness to win in a short race to seven it is an insult to the champion. Not only that but it is totally unreasonable, and disrespectful.

Like I mentioned to you earlier, to break a champions spirit it takes more than a race to seven. It's more realistic to say that a champion doesn't have the mental toughness to beat another champion in a long race like to 100, Now that's a truer test of character than a race to seven.

Billy I.

wincardona

Verified Member
From
Dallas Tx.
One Pocket Ghost said:

- Ghost
But I have to admit, that's some funny shit.

Billy I.

Scrzbill

Verified Member
From
Eagles Rest, Wa
jrhendy said:
Doc, there was a post on Az that this may have been more of an exhibition match and not a big $$ gambling game.

Maybe we will never know, but I pulled out of my bet with Bernie when I heard that.

You forgot to tell me the bet was off. I sent my 60% via Pay Pal yesterday.

jrhendy

Verified Member
From
Placerville, CA
Scrzbill said:
jrhendy said:

You forgot to tell me the bet was off. I sent my 60% via Pay Pal yesterday.

Just write it off as a restock fee.

RA may be in Mtn View for the one pocket tournament, and to make it up to you, I will let you stake him.

Artie Bodendorfer

Verified Member
wincardona said:
CHAMPIONS DON'T GET BEAT 7 TO 2 BECAUSE THEY LACK MENTAL TOUGHNESS. iF THEY DID THEY WOULDN'T BE A CHAMPION.

pleeez.:rolleyes:

Billy I.

WHAT IS MENTAL TOUGHNESS????

Lets her what it is.

Thier will be differenent interpatations off mentale toughness.

Howe does mental toughness help you win. Or is it just a state off mind.

How do you no when a player has mentale toughness?

Does mentale toughness only show up when you win?

What if a player has mentale toughness when he looses.

What is mentale Toughness.Is mentale toughness Confedence or youre will and desire too win.

Is thier such a thing as mentale toughness and what is it that exacly does.

Inquering minds.

wincardona

Verified Member
From
Dallas Tx.
Artie Bodendorfer said:
WHAT IS MENTAL TOUGHNESS????

Lets her what it is.

Thier will be differenent interpatations off mentale toughness.

Howe does mental toughness help you win. Or is it just a state off mind.

How do you no when a player has mentale toughness?

Does mentale toughness only show up when you win?

What if a player has mentale toughness when he looses.

What is mentale Toughness.Is mentale toughness Confedence or youre will and desire too win.

Is thier such a thing as mentale toughness and what is it that exacly does.

Inquering minds.

That's an excellent question, and the only way I can answer that question is to explain my interpretation of the phrase "mental toughness"

Mental toughness to me is simply, your confidence in your ability to stay focused and do whatever is necessary to succeed.

To me mental toughness and champions are synonymous.

Billy I.

Artie Bodendorfer

Verified Member
wincardona said:
That's an excellent question, and the only way I can answer that question is to explain my interpretation of the phrase "mental toughness"

Mental toughness to me is simply, your confidence in your ability to stay focused and do whatever is necessary to succeed.

To me mental toughness and champions are synonymous.

Billy I.

I dont no what mental toughness means. Or what it is supose too interpit.

BUt If you have two great players playing each other.

Like Eferine and Scott Or Alex. I dont see what mentale toughness would mean.

They are all ready and prepaired too play. Thier great ability is what will be respected by the other player.

And the player who out plays the otheier player will win.

And If one player makes a lot off mistakes or misses a lot off shots he cannot win.

Nobody knowes ahead off time what will happen tell they play. I dont no what mentale toughness is. It must mean something.

And a definition by the person who said it can describe what he means by mentale toughness.

I would like to her the answer.

If not then its just a qouistion without a answer.

wincardona

Verified Member
From
Dallas Tx.
Artie Bodendorfer said:
I dont no what mental toughness means. Or what it is supose too interpit.

BUt If you have two great players playing each other.

Like Eferine and Scott Or Alex. I dont see what mentale toughness would mean.

They are all ready and prepaired too play. Thier great ability is what will be respected by the other player.

And the player who out plays the otheier player will win.

And If one player makes a lot off mistakes or misses a lot off shots he cannot win.

Nobody knowes ahead off time what will happen tell they play. I dont no what mentale toughness is. It must mean something.

And a definition by the person who said it can describe what he means by mentale toughness.

I would like to her the answer.

If not then its just a qouistion without a answer.

You'll have to ask The Ghost what mental toughness means to him, because he thought that the difference between Martinez and Sylver was Martinez has more mental toughness and that's why he should win. After the match was over I guess he was right mental toughness must of been the difference maker.

What do you think?

Billy I.