Sweet Bank

fred bentivegna

Verified Member
From
chicago illinois
That is the setup, exactly

That is the setup, exactly

androd said:
This shot, the CB has to be forced forward to allow the OB room to pass.
Rod.
P.S. Both balls are one ball width from the cushion.;)
[CUETABLE]http://pool.bz/P/?@2AOjS2PDxT2UOjS2UbbH1UcIk2kDxT2kNMT2kQOk3uAIH@[/CUETABLE]

That is the setup, Rod. One ball space from the cushion, both balls. This was a favorite shot of Eddie Taylor's. It's a featured shot in my DVD, Banks That Dont Go- But Do. I dont want to start any Science Guys leaping out of their chairs, but Taylor said the secret was a timed wrist turn! :eek:

This for our guy, Steve Booth. No Steve, you were earlier asking for his help on this shot, but I did not have to consult Eddie Robin as to how to make the shot. I did it all on my own (with a little help from Eddie Taylor).

Beard

I can make it on most tables 1 out of 2. If the table rolls down it's even stronger.

petie

Verified Member
From
Citrus Springs, FL
Cowboy Dennis said:
Petie,

Cushion & Cue & Brew? I haven't heard it called that in years:) . That's where I was alright. They call the chain Snookers now and since they closed the one in Southgate I occasionally drive the 25 miles to Livonia. You can't beat playing from 11a.m. to 6p.m. for $5. They still have two billiard tables, a 5x10 snooker table and a slew of 8 & 9 footers. Good food and drink don't hurt either. Petie, do you know Dave Norman? A great guy who manages for Mike Abrams. I've known Dave for years and see him at Livonia sometimes.

Regarding glasses: My realizing in 2004 or so that my vision was failing and was the cause of me missing easy shots was one of the best things that ever happened to me. I stopped hanging out in smokey poolrooms with guys who played 7 days a week and had no money (do you think they'll ever make the connection?). If I could see perfect tomorrow I would resume that behavior, I'm certain. After 25 years of trying to match up with guys with no money and who are in constant dead-stroke due to playing everyday, I'm very happy to not deal with them anymore. It's very difficult to work 40 hrs. per week and still play these guys and I do miss the action but not enough to worry about doing anything to improve my vision.

In 2 years I may have to get glasses to renew my drivers license, then I may resume my illustrious poolplaying career:p .

P.S. Thanks for being in my fan club, the other two guys died:eek: :D .

Dennis

Dennis,

When it was Cushion Cue & Brew it was where Cornbread and Miami hung out. They put on some great tournaments back then. I usually was just a spectater. I never have wanted to be around when they play the finals. It's ususally 3:00 AM Monday morning and, like you, I have always been a working stiff. Even though I have been in sales for 40 some years, I always got up and went to work in the morning.

I miss Bogarts a couple of miles from there. No wonder they went out of business if they had to depend on me because I only went there every 6 months or so. Mike Bengals was usually there playing (I can't tell you his name but he's latin and plays 3 cushion pretty sporty. You can see him most days now at Hall of Fame). The last time I was there (Bogarts) Mazin Shooni was in town and stopped in for about and hour and entertained us with Mike's cue. After he left, a guy came in there whom I had seen before at a couple of 9 ball tournaments, one at Cushion Cue and Brew and one in Lansing. He drove a pickup truck with writing on the side and ladders hanging off it. When I had seen him at the 9 ball tournaments, I thought maybe he had won the truck off somebody and used it for his road-cover identity becuase he played so good. This day at Bogarts, he was after Mike and his partner. They all flashed I'm thinking about $3,000 each and proceeded to negotiate the terms of the impending match. As they talked, this guy sort of absentmindedly was warming up his billiard stroke by rolling out balls and snapping shots from almost a standup position. He never missed and we're talking 3 cushoion here! They talked so long that I left before the action started but I always wondered who this guy was. It wasn't you was it?

Don't know Dave Norman by name. I might if i saw him.

Yesterday I set up your long bank and made it on the second try. That was enough for me. I may retire from pool now.

Last edited:

NH Steve

Administrator
From
New Hampshire
fred bentivegna said:
That is the setup, Rod. One ball space from the cushion, both balls. This was a favorite shot of Eddie Taylor's. It's a featured shot in my DVD, Banks That Dont Go- But Do. I dont want to start any Science Guys leaping out of their chairs, but Taylor said the secret was a timed wrist turn! :eek:

This for our guy, Steve Booth. No Steve, you were earlier asking for his help on this shot, but I did not have to consult Eddie Robin as to how to make the shot. I did it all on my own (with a little help from Eddie Taylor).

Beard

I can make it on most tables 1 out of 2. If the table rolls down it's even stronger.
I guess I wasn't very clear Freddy -- I was inviting Eddie to chime on the subject of the occasional phenomenon of "cling" or "skidding", not how to make a bank.

petie

Verified Member
From
Citrus Springs, FL
NH Steve said:
You all have heard the term "skid" or "cling" when some great player was cutting a ball in the middle of some big run (seems like at straight pool especially), and they suddenly, inexplicably missed what seemed like a routine shot, and they cry that they got robbed because the ball 'skidded'...right? Well just imagine that extra grab between the cue ball and object ball and what you could do with it when banking if you could only control introducing it? I wonder if that is why sometimes some of these seemingly impossible banks goes.

Maybe Eddie Robin can chime in because I am pretty sure he has [put some thought into this topic...

I once saw Alex on a televized match miss like that. You should have seen the look on his face in closeup. I was thinking just a miss--no excuses but they played it back ultra slomo. You should have seen it. He hits this 1/2 ball or so cut with level cue, a ton of side spin, and a stroke given to him direcly from God. When the cue ball hits the object ball, no Joke, the object ball actually skips up in the air. You couldn't deny that it happened bacause it was all there in ultra slomo. I probably had the same look on my face as Alex when I saw it--total shock and astonishment.

NH Steve

Administrator
From
New Hampshire
petie said:
I once saw Alex on a televized match miss like that. You should have seen the look on his face in closeup. I was thinking just a miss--no excuses but they played it back ultra slomo. You should have seen it. He hits this 1/2 ball or so cut with level cue, a ton of side spin, and a stroke given to him direcly from God. When the cue ball hits the object ball, no Joke, the object ball actually skips up in the air. You couldn't deny that it happened bacause it was all there in ultra slomo. I probably had the same look on my face as Alex when I saw it--total shock and astonishment.
That's what I am talking about. Imagine if you could harness that!

petie

Verified Member
From
Citrus Springs, FL
NH Steve said:

I have heard some say and actually believe it to be the case that this can only happen if there is chalk on the cue ball or object ball at the point of contact.

John Brumback

Verified Member
NH Steve said:

You can,It's what good bank pool players do all the time.That's how we beat the kiss that nobodys thinks we can.In straight pool they call It skidding,In bank, we call It twisting.John B.

John Brumback

Verified Member
Cowboy Dennis said:
Steve,

That does usually happen on a thin cut not on a ball hit almost full-in-the-face.

Dennis

Wrong!!, on so many levels.I can make an object ball twist so much by hitting It full In the face that It would make your head spin.It's really amazing to me that people been playing pool their whole lives and don't know this.
You can make an object ball grab or twist (better or more) hitting It full In the face than you can hitting It thin.Better ask me or Fred about banks or ya'll could get some bad Info.John B.

Cowboy Dennis

Verified Member
From
Detroit,Michigan
NH Steve said:
You all have heard the term "skid" or "cling" when some great player was cutting a ball in the middle of some big run (seems like at straight pool especially), and they suddenly, inexplicably missed what seemed like a routine shot, and they cry that they got robbed because the ball 'skidded'...right? Well just imagine that extra grab between the cue ball and object ball and what you could do with it when banking if you could only control introducing it? I wonder if that is why sometimes some of these seemingly impossible banks goes.

Cowboy Dennis said:
Steve,

That does usually happen on a thin cut not on a ball hit almost full-in-the-face.

Dennis

John Brumback said:
Wrong!!, on so many levels.I can make an object ball twist so much by hitting It full In the face that It would make your head spin.It's really amazing to me that people been playing pool their whole lives and don't know this.
You can make an object ball grab or twist (better or more) hitting It full In the face than you can hitting It thin.Better ask me or Fred about banks or you could get some bad Info.John B.

John,

Do you understand that we are discussing the so-called phenomenon of "skid", "cling", "grab" that occurs, in my experience, when the object ball and cueball stay together for a millisecond longer (throwing the object ball off course) than normal possibly due to "dirty" balls causing extra friction. It almost always happens on a thin cut, on a full-in-the-face hit it wouldn't be noticeable and certainly it's not controllable as it occurs due to inconsistent factors.

This is an unexpected and uncontrollable thing, that's why the object ball misses the pocket. If you can now suddenly control the uncontrollable and predict the unpredictable then I will certainly buy your next book describing how to do it.

Regarding your point about hitting an object ball full-in-the-face, you've stated nothing that we don't already know.

P.S. Just exactly on how many levels am I wrong?

Dennis

John Brumback

Verified Member
Cowboy Dennis said:
John,

Do you understand that we are discussing the so-called phenomenon of "skid", "cling", "grab" that occurs, in my experience, when the object ball and cueball stay together for a millisecond longer (throwing the object ball off course) than normal possibly due to "dirty" balls causing extra friction. It almost always happens on a thin cut, on a full-in-the-face hit it wouldn't be noticeable and certainly it's not controllable as it occurs due to inconsistent factors.

This is an unexpected and uncontrollable thing, that's why the object ball misses the pocket. If you can now suddenly control the uncontrollable and predict the unpredictable then I will certainly buy your next book describing how to do it.

Regarding your point about hitting an object ball full-in-the-face, you've stated nothing that we don't already know.

P.S. Just exactly on how many levels am I wrong?

Dennis
Because I can and do control It.You can call It a skid If you want but It's the same exact thing we(me) good bank players do all the time.The only thing I agree with you on Is that It does sometime happen when cutting a ball but Most good expeirenced players will be on the lookout for It and use the appropiate english or stroke,to negate It.I can make the ball or balls skid whenever I want or need to_Oh yes It Is noticable on full In the face hits.I will sign you up for my book also.Thanks,John B.

Cowboy Dennis

Verified Member
From
Detroit,Michigan
John Brumback said:
I will sign you up for my book also.Thanks,John B.
I will accept nothing less than the first 100 copies printed, in numbered sequence and each autographed by you. Shall I send a deposit?

Dennis

Cowboy Dennis

Verified Member
From
Detroit,Michigan
petie said:
Dennis,

As they talked, this guy sort of absentmindedly was warming up his billiard stroke by rolling out balls and snapping shots from almost a standup position. He never missed and we're talking 3 cushoion here! They talked so long that I left before the action started but I always wondered who this guy was. It wasn't you was it?

Yesterday I set up your long bank and made it on the second try. That was enough for me. I may retire from pool now.
No it wasn't me Petie, I learned 3C but wasn't that good at it:eek: .

That is a sweet bank isn't it?:) Like Freddy said, things just came together perfectly when I hit it, I wouldn't bet on it again if you gave me 5 shots. Don't retire just yet, I think we may see some more wonderful banks soon from down KY way:p .

Dennis

petie

Verified Member
From
Citrus Springs, FL
Cowboy Dennis said:
No it wasn't me Petie, I learned 3C but wasn't that good at it:eek: .

That is a sweet bank isn't it?:) Like Freddy said, things just came together perfectly when I hit it, I wouldn't bet on it again if you gave me 5 shots. Don't retire just yet, I think we may see some more wonderful banks soon from down KY way:p .

Dennis

A month or so ago I spent a week in Cleveland and ended up every night at Long Green, a great room in the hood. Carl and his crew always make you feel welcome. I played on a table in the back with electric blue Simonis cloth that was a Brunzwick Tournament Edition, I think. It had wide rails at the side pockets. The rails weren't straight on the outside but were wider in the middle. If you saw the table you would know what I mean. Anyway, the point of this is that you could twist a ball off the end rail better on this table than I ever saw in my life. It was amazing how the english you imparted to the object ball made it come off the rail. I'd love to see a real banker like John B on this table. He could probably make it talk. I'll bet he could get played there too. I played 1P with a guy named Dog or Raymond Dog who was older than I but who still hit 'em pretty good. He said he used to travel and had played quite a few guys we've all heard of.

Cowboy Dennis

Verified Member
From
Detroit,Michigan
Frank Almanza said:
I made that exact shot to beat King Kong in Bellflower a couple months ago. I needed two and got perfect on another ball that was next to the rail. I got to say that the combination of everything that went into that shot was perfect.
I was hoping to get it close and hide it with that ball that was near the rail, but I was surprised when it went in.
So that's why he got pissed and went to New York:) .

KK in NY.jpg

NH Steve

Administrator
From
New Hampshire
petie said:
A month or so ago I spent a week in Cleveland and ended up every night at Long Green, a great room in the hood. Carl and his crew always make you feel welcome. I played on a table in the back with electric blue Simonis cloth that was a Brunzwick Tournament Edition, I think. It had wide rails at the side pockets. The rails weren't straight on the outside but were wider in the middle. If you saw the table you would know what I mean. Anyway, the point of this is that you could twist a ball off the end rail better on this table than I ever saw in my life. It was amazing how the english you imparted to the object ball made it come off the rail. I'd love to see a real banker like John B on this table. He could probably make it talk. I'll bet he could get played there too. I played 1P with a guy named Dog or Raymond Dog who was older than I but who still hit 'em pretty good. He said he used to travel and had played quite a few guys we've all heard of.
He's been to Derby City for sure -- I mean Raymond 'Dog' Wilson, not King Kong :)

Attachments

• Dog-onepocket.org-photo.jpg
    Dog-onepocket.org-photo.jpg
    118.4 KB · Views: 0

petie

Verified Member
From
Citrus Springs, FL
NH Steve said:
He's been to Derby City for sure -- I mean Raymond 'Dog' Wilson, not King Kong :)

Yup, that's him, Steve. A real nice guy and shoots pretty damn good. I have to say there are a couple of guys at Long Green who give him weight. Anybody going to that area should do themselves a favor and stop in. Tell them I sent you.

Cowboy Dennis

Verified Member
From
Detroit,Michigan
Just got back from practicing and for some weird reason I played pretty good considering I really can't see the cueball that well.

The table is a GC with newer but cheap cloth on it, like what they usually put in public rooms. It had thick nap and I had to hit balls harder to move them, it was like they were rolling through high grass. I've always liked tables like that.

It's also been raining for two days so it's slightly humid in the room too.

Anyway, just banging balls around and this shot came up and I figured with the way balls were grabbing the rails on this table I'd give this shot a whirl. The 1 ball was clearly to the left of the cueball and I think I hit the cueball as shown, but I'm never certain as I don't see it too well. The cueball went to the right and the 1 ball banked straight-back. It was like I crossed it but I didn't. Anyway I thought I'd share this strange bank.

[CUETABLE]http://pool.bz/P/?@1AVCK4PVkJ1UVCK1UUfj4UcYr4kVkJ1kVRu1kbYv1kYFy4uCMP@[/CUETABLE]

Why is it that sometimes I get the WEI table to come up like this:

Sweet Bank - OnePocket.jpg

and sometimes it looks like this???

Sweet Bank - Page 2 - OnePocket.jpg

After going through the thread and coming back to page #1 the WEI appeared for me:confused:.

It cannot be banned from coming up if it comes up.

P.S. These two new WEI pics are just pics, not actual WEI tables.

Dennis