Svb/shuff 2012 dcc #2

gulfportdoc

Verified Member
From
Gulfport, Mississippi
Doc, inside english clearly lengthens, or opens the bank up on certain angles but not all angles. The english transferred to the object ball serves a double role to open the bank or lengthen the bank. On angles that are flat the object ball carrying the opposite english (not running)slides off the cushion, that helps to lengthen the shot not only that but the spin that is transferred acts as a masse and helps the ball to stay closer to the banked rail.

You can try it with just using the cue ball starting from a marked position and use both left engish and right english, and then look at the results that you get. The cue ball with the running english will not slide or open up nearly as much as the cue ball carrying the opposite english. Dr. Bill
Billy, I know all that stuff.:rolleyes: What I'm trying to determine is WHY that happens. What are the physics of it. I like to know things like this, so that I can apply it to other situations. I Emailed Bob Jewett, so we'll see if he replies. If he doesn't know, some of the others will. I realize that some of you hate the science guys...:D

Doc

lll

Verified Member
From
vero beach fl
l and I already know how to bank and can only remember asking one person, one time, how to make a bank shot. He told me and I went to the poolroom and made it on my first try.(Thanks again Freddy:D)

Dennis

if anyone doubts freddy's knowledge
this is quite an endorcement for freddy(even tho his record speaks for itself)

Banks

Verified Member
From
Portland, OR
Banks,

You would be extremely hard-pressed to ever find any thread on this site where I asked anybody how to shoot a shot, bank or otherwise. I already know how to play pool and I already know how to bank and can only remember asking one person, one time, how to make a bank shot. He told me and I went to the poolroom and made it on my first try.(Thanks again Freddy:D)

If you ever find a post where I wrote what you say I wrote I will send you a check for $500.

Perhaps you're referencing this post of mine:

You can find it here:http://www.onepocket.org/forum/showthread.php?t=6833

It's post #3. It's a month old.

P.S. I would never in life write or say anything as ridiculous as what you recall me saying.

Dennis

Hmm.. perhaps, in governmentspeak, I had "misremembered." I thought it had been in a post that devolved into discussing banks at pocket speed - it was more of a discussion question, not necessarily a "help me, I'm lost" kind of question - and another that discussed the use of english for banks that don't "need" english. All I could find was this in relation to a basic cross-side:

"Idea & Theroy #1...Shooting a cross-side bank with inside english that doesn't NEED to be hit with inside english does not make the shot easier."

Besides, if I even did try to find a specific post in a haystack and managed to dig one up like that, I'd probably have to hand the check over to my work for repayment. :p That, and I don't think I could accept money for something like that anyhow.

Island Drive

Verified Member
From
florence, colorado
Billy, I know all that stuff.:rolleyes: What I'm trying to determine is WHY that happens. What are the physics of it. I like to know things like this, so that I can apply it to other situations. I Emailed Bob Jewett, so we'll see if he replies. If he doesn't know, some of the others will. I realize that some of you hate the science guys...:D

Doc

The dirt on the equipment changes everything, then add humidity. Like golfing in High winds.

gulfportdoc

Verified Member
From
Gulfport, Mississippi
I exchanged Emails with Bob Jewett about this reverse bank shot. He believes that the OB simply reacts to the thinness of the hit created by CB squirt. A few of us thought that as well.

He also opined that it would be a difficult shot to test. My guess is that the OB would react the same regardless of what spin was on the CB-- due to the thinness of the cut. However, in these types of layouts reverse english is preferable due to the resultant position of the CB.

Doc

lll

Verified Member
From
vero beach fl
I exchanged Emails with Bob Jewett about this reverse bank shot. He believes that the OB simply reacts to the thinness of the hit created by CB squirt. A few of us thought that as well.

He also opined that it would be a difficult shot to test. My guess is that the OB would react the same regardless of what spin was on the CB-- due to the thinness of the cut. However, in these types of layouts reverse english is preferable due to the resultant position of the CB.

Doc

the difference would be the angle into the object ball based on squirt and swerve
jmho
icbw

petie

Verified Member
From
Citrus Springs, FL
This may have been suggested as I have not read every post but is it possible you are getting an instantanious double kiss? The cue ball momentum would help its path to change very little at this thin a hit and the kiss would take place at such a short time interval from the original hit as to be imperceptable.

petie

Verified Member
From
Citrus Springs, FL
This may have been suggested as I have not read every post but is it possible you are getting an instantanious double kiss? The cue ball momentum would help its path to change very little at this thin a hit and the kiss would take place at such a short time interval from the original hit as to be imperceptable.

A good way to test this theory would be to try it with ob frozen and then at minute incriments of distance off the rail. I predict that when it gets say an eighth or 16th away from the rail, it will miss the double kiss and not go close to the intended pocket.