Spring Melee in Memphis regional members tournament signup thread

Scrzbill

Verified Member
From
Eagles Rest, Wa
Bill, I’m not defending darmoose by any means, but I have complained about the length of tourneys before and will continue to do so because...are you listening...it’s hard to recover from being up that late. I’m not retired like you, i work for a living. I have a family that doesn’t appreciate me sleeping during the day, and a responsibility to drive kids to practices, etc. Can you please think about someone other than yourself? I’m only 39, and I can imagine how much more if affects the elder folks. I played in an 8b tourney on New Years Day that finished at 7am. I handed my last match to my opponent on a silver platter around 4am, then had to call off sick from work the next day. Have you ever worked? How can you not have any empathy? Are you that dense? Are you just pretending to be a tough guy about this? Playing that late doesn’t affect you at all? And you have zero ability to imagine that it affects others? Or you just don’t care about anyone other that yourself? Really?

It’s not from selfishness or anything else. It just the way I was brought up from pool. I guess you could say that my first poolroom spoiled my for life. OPEN 24 HOURS. And there were guys that could play. Patch, Bob Bolles, Edie Taylor, and more. I was there so much I ended up in the hospital dehydrated. 17 years old. If you have ever seen me leave a pool room,? I usually need help getting to my car or hotel. At night I scream bloody murder because of my back, leg pain that last all night until the morning when it’s time to play again. So am I thinking of you or Darmoose or anyone else? Like I said, I’m being nice. You said a lot of mean things because your upset. It’s just what it is. Being disabled means I can’t do what I want to do without severe consequences. I play pool, I pay the piper. :eek::cool:

Scrzbill

Verified Member
From
Eagles Rest, Wa
darmoose and I missed the last members tourney, yes. But I would like to attend the next one. He might as well. Get over the fact that we weren’t at the last one. We’d like to see things improved so we don’t have to deal with an all nighter! Hello! Does it take a medium intellect to figure that out? Come on!

I will repeat: I have said the one thing that would create a final table ending before 10pm. Sunday, four players. Losers start at 11. Finals 2pm.

Scrzbill

Verified Member
From
Eagles Rest, Wa
I think that when a man is past his prime accepts rules that favor the young, does care. He cares about the game. He is dead money but he still participates. He takes medication for aches and pain but is still willing to join the group for the group sake and his own joy. No matter what the rules are it is still detrimental to him. But he does what he has to do.
Now in my 70's I find it hard to stand for 3 hours because of disc and joint deterioration, I dont sleep well at nite and need naps. It would really be beneficial to me to have a 15 minute break after every hour. If played around the late afternoon I would also like to take a nap for 30 minutes. But Im not polling for that. I'd also like to take a breather if my back starts cramping up. I play by the rules or I elect not to play. But dont say because I dont understand why you cant do the same, that I dont care.

I am planning on going to Franks on Sat 19. Would it be better to go to HOB? Would love to bust the quackapracator.

youngstown

Verified Member

It’s not from selfishness or anything else. It just the way I was brought up from pool. I guess you could say that my first poolroom spoiled my for life. OPEN 24 HOURS. And there were guys that could play. Patch, Bob Bolles, Edie Taylor, and more. I was there so much I ended up in the hospital dehydrated. 17 years old. If you have ever seen me leave a pool room,? I usually need help getting to my car or hotel. At night I scream bloody murder because of my back, leg pain that last all night until the morning when it’s time to play again. So am I thinking of you or Darmoose or anyone else? Like I said, I’m being nice. You said a lot of mean things because your upset. It’s just what it is. Being disabled means I can’t do what I want to do without severe consequences. I play pool, I pay the piper. :eek::cool:

I apologize for my post you’re right I was frustrated. I’ve played in three tournaments this week and got home at 4:30am, 2:30am, and 4 o’clock. I’m actually being selfish because I want to be able to play in these tournaments yet not have to deal with the late aspect, which isn’t really how things work I guess. I feel like it would be better and appeal to more people if tourneys were run better, and didn’t put participants in danger. Again, I apologize for my insinuations, but I didn’t want to believe that any of them were true, I was just trying to make a point because I felt you were just being stubborn about casting out new ideas. I do see where your coming from, but I feel that you are the exception not the rule. I had a guy ask me at the end of the tourney last night if I wanted to play a couple sets and I (jokingly) yelled “No! It’s 3AM, you asshole!”

youngstown

Verified Member

This is not the thread to argue about late finishes or rules gents. Please be considerate and take those discussions to the annual members or senior tournament threads where they belong.

This tournament has been designed so there will be no marathon days or late night finishes. The scheduling and rules are set and will not be changed. Thanks. John

I apologize, it was late and forgot what thread I was on...

Nick B

Verified Member
From
Vancouver, Canada
Have we looked into hotel rates? Has anyone set something up? I will rent a car and be available for back and forth.

crabbcatjohn

Verified Member
From
Benton, Ky.
Have we looked into hotel rates? Has anyone set something up? I will rent a car and be available for back and forth.

Not that I know of. Rowsey might look into it for us. Heck rooms aren't very expensive if you stay in Southaven anyway
I'm sure quite a few of us will have our vehicles for rides also.

mhilton777

Verified Member
From
Rosemount, MN

Not that I know of. Rowsey might look into it for us. Heck rooms aren't very expensive if you stay in Southaven anyway

I'm sure quite a few of us will have our vehicles for rides also.

The Comfort Inn that is a $9 Uber from the room was cheap and good enough with free breakfast. Plenty of good restaurants within a block.

LSJohn

Verified Member
From
monett missouri
The Comfort Inn that is a $9 Uber from the room was cheap and good enough with free breakfast. Plenty of good restaurants within a block.

The Days Inn is closer, cheaper, and the best Days Inn I've ever been in. (1/2 mile, and $69 if I remember correctly.)

LSJohn

Verified Member
From
monett missouri

The Days Inn is closer, cheaper, and the best Days Inn I've ever been in. (1/2 mile, and $69 if I remember correctly.)

crabbcatjohn

Verified Member
From
Benton, Ky.

I stayed at the Comfort last time and it was ok, but I'm staying at the Days Inn this time. I think it's the one Rowsey suggested before. Good to hear it's nice. I think it's right around 70 ea night including taxes etc