Solo Practice vs competition

Gettherack

What percentage of your time do you feel should be devoted to personal practice vs. completing with others?

I feel I need to practice about 4 to 1 on the side of private practice.
Your thoughts?

Gettherack

Bmoretallpaul

Verified Member
What percentage of your time do you feel should be devoted to personal practice vs. completing with others?

Your thoughts?

Gettherack

I like to practice at least an hour before I decide to play someone competitive. If I'm just practicing then it depends on what I'm working on that day and the amount of outside interference I have to deal with. Seems like everyone wants to talk while you practice.

Mkbtank

Verified Member
From
Philly Pa
Solo Practice vs competition

I like to practice at least an hour before I decide to play someone competitive. If I'm just practicing then it depends on what I'm working on that day and the amount of outside interference I have to deal with. Seems like everyone wants to talk while you practice.

The only time I practice is when I can’t get a game. Which is almost never lol. (They line up to play me ugh). That said- Tall Paul we can play some when you’re here in Philly if you like. I love to test myself against a fellow 1p.org brother. (Unless Bill has me locked up).

Bmoretallpaul

Verified Member
The only time I practice is when I can’t get a game. Which is almost never lol. (They line up to play me ugh). That said- Tall Paul we can play some when you’re here in Philly if you like. I love to test myself against a fellow 1p.org brother. (Unless Bill has me locked up).

Sounds like someone throwing out some bait. I got the word on you sir.....

androd

Verified Member
From
New Braunfels tx.

Your thoughts?

Gettherack

Practice is the last resort ! Then I work on whats been giving me trouble for about 4 minutes, Then I just start banging balls. :)

Hardmix

Verified Member
From
Cumming Ga
If I am not playing a tournament or a match I will carve out time to practice every day. Some sessions are relatively short, 30 min or so and others will last hours. IMO to get the most out of your game you need to practice.

1 HOLE NUT

Verified Member
From
Biloxi, Ms.
If I am not playing a tournament or a match I will carve out time to practice every day. Some sessions are relatively short, 30 min or so and others will last hours. IMO to get the most out of your game you need to practice.

It is hard to argue with someone that does so well in both tournaments, and gambling, but i have never had the mental make up to really practice the right way, so my only other way i believe is putting that pressure of losing your dough to make you, focus on what you have to do to get better. I'm always broke so i must be getting better right??

Ikerunnels

Verified Member
It is hard to argue with someone that does so well in both tournaments, and gambling, but i have never had the mental make up to really practice the right way, so my only other way i believe is putting that pressure of losing your dough to make you, focus on what you have to do to get better. I'm always broke so i must be getting better right??

Best practice is to play a better player

Hardmix

Verified Member
From
Cumming Ga

Jason I get beat up all the time gambling :eek: as well as being sent home early in tournaments, it happens to everyone. That said, for some players staying in acton is all they need and others require a diet of practice and action. Unfortunately I fall into the later group.

J.R.

Verified Member
From
Chicago, Illinois
Best practice is to play a better player

I believe that the best practice is to play a better player... but there is more to it. When you compete against a superior player it is paramount that you attentively observe the skills which make him a better player.

For instance, if it's shot selection or score management it is not necessary to practice these skills but to actually compete to gain the understanding of what shots to shoot and when to shoot. However, if it's multiple rail bank shots, kicking at object balls, or caroming the cue ball into the rack to leave your opponent without a makeable shot to name just a few... these shots must be put to practice. Just having the knowledge that your opponent can execute these shots is of no value to you until you put it into practice. And how long do you practice these shots... that would depend on how much you like your money.

NH Steve

Administrator
From
New Hampshire
I have to practice a little or I swear I forget everything I thought I knew about basic ball pocketing lol.

But I much prefer competition for sure! Only competition can get me the "high" from making a genuine good creative shot that turns or wins a game. That is what I play for even more than the $$.

And it is good to play players that you really have to play hard to win. So about even or a little better if you want to push yourself to improve -- to the degree that you can afford it of course :D:D

NH Steve

Administrator
From
New Hampshire
I believe that the best practice is to play a better player... but there is more to it. When you compete against a superior player it is paramount that you attentively observe the skills which make him a better player.

For instance, if it's shot selection or score management it is not necessary to practice these skills but to actually compete to gain the understanding of what shots to shoot and when to shoot. However, if it's multiple rail bank shots, kicking at object balls, or caroming the cue ball into the rack to leave your opponent without a makeable shot to name just a few... these shots must be put to practice. Just having the knowledge that your opponent can execute these shots is of no value to you until you put it into practice. And how long do you practice these shots... that would depend on how much you like your money.
... and how long you can maintain good concentration when practicing. Because if you find yourself slipping into sloppy practice, in my opinion, bad practice is worse than no practice at all.

J.R.

Verified Member
From
Chicago, Illinois
... and how long you can maintain good concentration when practicing. Because if you find yourself slipping into sloppy practice, in my opinion, bad practice is worse than no practice at all.

I would assume if you find yourself having a "sloppy" (bad practice) session then your mindfulness to the repetition and improvement (performance skills) of specific pool shots is at issue. How many times has the question been raised, "What is the secret to playing great pool?" I maintain that the answer is "practice, practice, and practice." And through practice, we gain confidence and ultimately success.

What do you do when your playing an opponent for some green and you lose repeatedly? Ordinarily, the losing player becomes noticeably "sloppy" in his thinking and execution of shots. The losing player has lost his "mindfulness."
If the losing player cannot refocus with concentrated attention on every shot, then he should quit the game. The same with practice. Although pool tables are on four legs, they never walk away. Today's bad will be tomorrow's good.