So I actually got to play Efren three games of One Pocket yesterday!

NH Steve

Administrator
From
New Hampshire
Efren is here in the states for the DCC and he apparently had a sponsor in MA who was hosting him at his house for a few days this week, with Efren doing a few local fund-raisers exhibitions in the greater New England area. He was supposed to play pro Mick Dechaine maybe yesterday afternoon but the days changed and he was uncommitted for the afternoon. A friend of mine who is a good friend of the host happen to mention -- or I was conveniently standing nearby or something -- that he was going to the guys house yesterday afternoon playing Efren cheap One Pocket even to learn and donate to the cause. So of course I piped up and sure enough the host invited me to come along also.

The first game actually came down to the last ball, and I went toe-to-toe in the end game with Efren for a good half hour -- about the most amazing experience of my pool life I would say! Eventually Efren -- what else -- kicked in his game winner. None the less I was on cloud nine. I actually moved well and I missed less than I normally miss the whole hour and a half, which is amazing in and of itself lol. I had a couple of legitimate banks to win, but not real easy ones, and the best I could do was come close. My best chance might have been a five-rail shot on a ball about a diamond up from his pocket but stuck to the rail, and it laid straight on for the five railer. At that point I needed two (due to not catching a legal ball/rail at some point), and the second ball was in the middle of the bottom rail. I held the cue for shape but the 5-rail missed by just a little damn it all.

The other two games I got maybe to around 5-6 balls but couldn't finish. Now those of you who have watched Efren compete with amateurs know he likes to give us amateurs a chance, so I have no illusions that wasn't part of what kept me close lol. But on the other hand he needs the$$ and the quicker he dispatches me in a game the more games he gets to do the same, so I do know he wanted to win.

Bottom line is it was a dream come true experience even if I did not win a game 😁

I gave him a onepocket.org shirt for DCC -- whether he wears it or not who knows -- but in prior years he has won the DCC One Pocket wearing a onepocket.org shirt I believe at least thee times -- so those shirts have been good for him! Those of you at DCC keep your eyes out :)

Jimmy B

Verified Member
Efren is here in the states for the DCC and he apparently had a sponsor in MA who was hosting him at his house for a few days this week, with Efren doing a few local fund-raisers exhibitions in the greater New England area. He was supposed to play pro Mick Dechaine maybe yesterday afternoon but the days changed and he was uncommitted for the afternoon. A friend of mine who is a good friend of the host happen to mention -- or I was conveniently standing nearby or something -- that he was going to the guys house yesterday afternoon playing Efren cheap One Pocket even to learn and donate to the cause. So of course I piped up and sure enough the host invited me to come along also.

The first game actually came down to the last ball, and I went toe-to-toe in the end game with Efren for a good half hour -- about the most amazing experience of my pool life I would say! Eventually Efren -- what else -- kicked in his game winner. None the less I was on cloud nine. I actually moved well and I missed less than I normally miss the whole hour and a half, which is amazing in and of itself lol. I had a couple of legitimate banks to win, but not real easy ones, and the best I could do was come close. My best chance might have been a five-rail shot on a ball about a diamond up from his pocket but stuck to the rail, and it laid straight on for the five railer. At that point I needed two (due to not catching a legal ball/rail at some point), and the second ball was in the middle of the bottom rail. I held the cue for shape but the 5-rail missed by just a little damn it all.

The other two games I got maybe to around 5-6 balls but couldn't finish. Now those of you who have watched Efren compete with amateurs know he likes to give us amateurs a chance, so I have no illusions that wasn't part of what kept me close lol. But on the other hand he needs the$$ and the quicker he dispatches me in a game the more games he gets to do the same, so I do know he wanted to win.

Bottom line is it was a dream come true experience even if I did not win a game 😁

I gave him a onepocket.org shirt for DCC -- whether he wears it or not who knows -- but in prior years he has won the DCC One Pocket wearing a onepocket.org shirt I believe at least thee times -- so those shirts have been good for him! Those of you at DCC keep your eyes out :)

Yes, I'm not surprised.. I remember when you played Shane Van Boening. You played good on him also. awesome....

12squared

Verified Member
From
Fort Collins, CO

That is so cool, Steve, sounds like you had a blast.

But speaking of onepocket.org shirts, do you have any golf shirts with the new logo? I would like one that is not associated with the MOT and different material. I would like to replace the original one I bought from you.

Thanks, Dave

lll

Verified Member
From
vero beach fl
wow steve
what a priceless memory to last a lifetime
i am happy for you
i am sure you taught efren a few moves too.... :)

NH Steve

Administrator
From
New Hampshire
wow steve
i am happy for you
I don't know about that but... besides the good moves, I did demonstrate a couple of "what not to do's" lol :oops:

There aren't any pics or video from it but I do have my memories for sure!!

cincy_kid

Verified Member
From
Cincinnati, OH

VERY COOL!

Dang I am so jealous that is for sure a memory of a lifetime, glad you could experience it!

A couple years back or whenever Efren was in Cali doing his amateur challenges (him giving up 10/7 race to 3 for 100 vs any non pro), I was like, come here!! I would have sure happily donated to Efren's cause for that experience!

I will look for him at the derby and try to snap a pic if he is wearing the shirt! :)

ChicagoFats

Verified Member
How in the world did you not get at WWYD out of the session? That would be a monumental occasion even beating the great Ghost at WWYD formation!!

bobt64

Verified Member
From
Green Valley, AZ
All I can say is I really can't think of too many other sports/games that a non-pro can get a chance to play against one of the best ever and even have a chance to win a game. I would love to have the chance to do this myself as I am sure lots of other members of the forum would also.

Billy Jackets

Verified Member
After you beat him , did he ask for weight?
Something no one has brought up that I know about is that Efren must definitely be an honest guy. When Dennis O first came over, they could have taken off a lot of backers, for big money, and almost no one, would have questioned it.

Last edited:

twister

Verified Member
From
Boston, MA
Wow, that's awesome, Steve, what an experience! Next time he shows up in the Boston area, let me know as I'd be happy to donate to the cause also. :D Makes me wonder if pros could actually make a decent wage if they did more of these, assuming they had someone putting them up each night so they wouldn't be spending the dough on hotels. Maybe even get sponsors to cover travel costs too. Has that ever been a serious consideration for any of the pros, especially those that are not still chasing all of the tourneys?

NH Steve

Administrator
From
New Hampshire
Wow, that's awesome, Steve, what an experience! Next time he shows up in the Boston area, let me know as I'd be happy to donate to the cause also. :D Makes me wonder if pros could actually make a decent wage if they did more of these, assuming they had someone putting them up each night so they wouldn't be spending the dough on hotels. Maybe even get sponsors to cover travel costs too. Has that ever been a serious consideration for any of the pros, especially those that are not still chasing all of the tourneys?
I don’t know — I know Tony Chohan has occasionally posted he will be such and so location and games are available. He also did some small clinics recently, including one in Chicago that some of “our guys” were part of!

Dennis "Whitey" Young

Verified Member
From
Klamath Falls, Or.
I don't know about that but... besides the good moves, I did demonstrate a couple of "what not to do's" lol :oops:

There aren't any pics or video from it but I do have my memories for sure!!
wow steve
i am happy for you
I second this comment. This experience could not have happen to a more deserving guy. A very proud showing, indeed! Jealous doesn't describe it! Whitey