skid

poolisboring

Verified Member
From
toledo
what causes a ball to skid? does deacceleration through the cb at impact cause skid? it seems to me that pros spin the cb at times to avoid the object ball skidding..... ive done this to avoid missing certain shots..... thoughts please--

Last edited:

tucson9ball

Verified Member
From
Tucson Arizona
skid is usually referring to action of an object ball when the cue ball contacts it.
Sometimes the cue ball grabs the object ball and they stick together slightly causing both to travel in a path other than the true tangent lines.
This "skid" usually causes a miss and gets some great reactions from the shooter.....

beatle

Verified Member
usually dirty balls or a dirty spot on a ball.slow tables will skid more.

a little outside english spins it out of the way. on those cut shots on bad equipment you will find most or many good players using outside on those shots.

El Chapo

Verified Member
I know some people may think I'm crazy, I read through parts of that dr Dave thesaurus. But, I believe we don't know what causes it. Sure, a chalk mark can cause one, I believe that. I've played with balls that have not been cleaned for 30 years and you never see a skid all day (not that it can't happen). Am I the only one that notices when playing in bars with very old balls nothing ever skids? I've played with new balls and seen tons of skids. I don't know why that's the case, but if I had to guess I'd say it may be because of a difference between the grim or muck on the ob and cb. A super clean ob colliding with a cb that was clean a day ago but has been used a ton is much more likey to cause a skid that balls that haven't been cleaned in ten years.

Frank Almanza

Verified Member
From
Upland, California
To me it seems that when the ball skids it's when I use soft inside English. And it's usually in a critical situation.
But my question is, have any of you ever hit one of those shots and knew immediately that you hit it bad but then the object ball skids and causes it to go into the hole. I don't ever remember having a skid help me out.

crabbcatjohn

Verified Member
From
Benton, Ky.
I know some people may think I'm crazy, I read through parts of that dr Dave thesaurus. But, I believe we don't know what causes it. Sure, a chalk mark can cause one, I believe that. I've played with balls that have not been cleaned for 30 years and you never see a skid all day (not that it can't happen). Am I the only one that notices when playing in bars with very old balls nothing ever skids? I've played with new balls and seen tons of skids. I don't know why that's the case, but if I had to guess I'd say it may be because of a difference between the grim or muck on the ob and cb. A super clean ob colliding with a cb that was clean a day ago but has been used a ton is much more likey to cause a skid that balls that haven't been cleaned in ten years.

A few years back i was playing Shane Winters at the DCC. First match in the morning, the DCC guy just cleaned the table. He threw out a brand new set of those one eyed balls. Within seconds each one had a obvious fine coat of chalk all over them. I'm guessing it was static electricity that attracted it. We both had at least 3 horrible skids during the match. It was brutal... I've always noticed that skids occur the most when you use a little high outside on a softer hit. I saw the same thing during Mosconi a few yrs back. It seemed like the US players were getting more than a few skids and the Europe boys were playing those type shots harder to avoid the skids. The room i play at has gone down hill the last few yrs so the balls are always greasy and filthy along with the tables. Skids are pretty rare there...

Dennis "Whitey" Young

Verified Member
From
Klamath Falls, Or.
I think EL Chapo is on to something! I am not one of those guys that has to have the balls absolutely clean all the time, and I am not getting skids. Would ball manufacture makes a difference, for instance; "do Brunswicks skid"? They sure sound beautiful when they click together!

The last time I got skids was in Lincoln City, or. along the coast where there is a lot of moisture in the air. Does humidity cause skids? It happened on back cuts hit slow with inside or reverse english. So I used a little natural english instead on those shots.

A young guy on my bca league team gets skids and he strokes down on the cue ball, instead of a level stroke.

Curley, my mentor, always told me never stroke an object ball. Whitey

poolisboring

Verified Member
From
toledo
I think EL Chapo is on to something! I am not one of those guys that has to have the balls absolutely clean all the time, and I am not getting skids. Would ball manufacture makes a difference, for instance; "do Brunswicks skid"? They sure sound beautiful when they click together!

The last time I got skids was in Lincoln City, or. along the coast where there is a lot of moisture in the air. Does humidity cause skids? It happened on back cuts hit slow with inside or reverse english. So I used a little natural english instead on those shots.

A young guy on my bca league team gets skids and he strokes down on the cue ball, instead of a level stroke.

Curley, my mentor, always told me never stroke an object ball. Whitey
yes, these skids seem to happen on back cut shots often......i now use spin to make these most of the time, thereby avoid the ob skidding.......

Cary

Verified Member
From
Bertram, Texas
To the best of my knowledge, Brunswick does not manufacture pool balls and hasn't for a number of years. If you don't like Aramith or Cyclops I don't know what to tell you. Some years ago I wrote Aramith regarding the differences in their various cue balls and balls in general. Among their top of the line balls, including Centennials, the answer was none, other than color & markings. I was surprised to get that answer, to say the least.

http://www.americanmadebilliards.com/Brunswick-Centennial-p/brunswick-centennial.htm

ETA: vintage Centennials are available on ebay for collector prices. I saw a set that was manufactured in the early sixties last week, still new & unplayed in the original box. They were out of my price range.

lll

Verified Member
From
vero beach fl
To the best of my knowledge, Brunswick does not manufacture pool balls and hasn't for a number of years. If you don't like Aramith or Cyclops I don't know what to tell you. Some years ago I wrote Aramith regarding the differences in their various cue balls and balls in general. Among their top of the line balls, including Centennials, the answer was none, other than color & markings. I was surprised to get that answer, to say the least.

http://www.americanmadebilliards.com/Brunswick-Centennial-p/brunswick-centennial.htm

ETA: vintage Centennials are available on ebay for collector prices. I saw a set that was manufactured in the early sixties last week, still new & unplayed in the original box. They were out of my price range.

except for the purists from the old days
centennial pool balls like gold crown tables are unfortunately the preference of the purists/old timers
diamonds dont play true to the billiard systems but seem to be the current norm
just like aramith or cyclops balls
i guess you can call it "progress" but it sucks to me
gold crown
centennial balls
billiliard systems
die hard......:)
jmho
icbw
:D

Dennis "Whitey" Young

Verified Member
From
Klamath Falls, Or.
lll,
Well said! I am with you, on this! And thanks Cary for the info. Since, I have researched Brunswick balls and it seems you have to pick a set of Gold Crown Centennials to guarantee you are getting the real mc coy.

I went to an old time pool hall 70 miles from my home and they have old Brunswick balls, and right away the sound they made when they hit each other was just wonderful. I go, there it is, the sound that I have been missing.

I have an antique Brunswick table w/ A.E. Schmidt rails. I contacted Schmidt to see if I could get that rubber in new (100% red rubber gum) and I gave him the name of the rubber co. in N.Y., and he replied they are not available anymore, the co. is out of business. So I researched US rubber companies and there were tons at one time, I guess there are all gone now. So my choices for rubber is limited to one, super speed. Just like balls Aramith or Cyclops. And who knows who makes Cyclops, and they say the Cyclops cue ball plays lighter than Aramith which I think play lighter than Original Brunswick. Not much choice here!

I played a lot of banks back in the day and GC never let me down, they banked good, and pockets were not soft, and did not automatically except the balls, you had to make them. thanks guys! Whitey

baby huey

Verified Member
I asked Efren this question many years ago and he told me to shoot the cueball open handed whenever possible and to cue the ball as low as possible. He also said that grabbing the butt to tight causes the "skid" to occur at the worst possible times. If you think about it, it makes sense in that skid occurs more on the eight and nine ball than on the one or two balls when shooting through the rack. We all get tight as the game nears its end......maybe he is right?

Patrick Johnson

Verified Member
Efren ... said that grabbing the butt to tight causes the "skid" to occur at the worst possible times.
When you hear something like this you have to ask yourself, "what would make that happen?". In this case, nothing - it just doesn't make any sense. Reminds me of The Beard's advice to grip more tightly to make certain bank shots go - Freddie was a great banker, but he believed some magic.

Like most things in pool "skid" is a pretty simple phenomenon, caused by the most obvious thing: excess friction between the CB and OB (usually because of something between them at the point of contact). Nothing you do with your grip, stroke or cue can make any difference (except the usual things that affect throw, like shooting harder/softer or with spin).

pj
chgo

Last edited:

Dennis "Whitey" Young

Verified Member
From
Klamath Falls, Or.
Jerry, Patrick;
I can not disagree with Jerry on this one. For as I threaded a kid on my local bca team can play tight and he grips a hard full hand grip plus he strokes with the tendency to stroke down on the cue ball. I watched him skid three shots in a row, while no one else had any problems. And he stated; "how do you get rid of this s++t. I just kinda of laughed and said to myself; He'll learn".

I can not discount friction between balls either, but to think that is all that causes skid or the ob ball turning over, I will not go that far! Whitey

Patrick Johnson

Verified Member
Jerry, Patrick;
I can not disagree with Jerry on this one. For as I threaded a kid on my local bca team can play tight and he grips a hard full hand grip plus he strokes with the tendency to stroke down on the cue ball. I watched him skid three shots in a row, while no one else had any problems. And he stated; "how do you get rid of this s++t. I just kinda of laughed and said to myself; He'll learn".

I can not discount friction between balls either, but to think that is all that causes skid or the ob ball turning over, I will not go that far! Whitey
Any theories how the grip (or anything but ball/ball friction) can cause skids? That's the thing that stumps me - I just can't see a connection. It's like quantum pool - the grip and the OB are "entangled" at a distance.

pj
chgo

Last edited:

LSJohn

Verified Member
From
monett missouri
Any theories how the grip (or anything but ball/ball friction) can cause skids? That's the thing that stumps me - I just can't see a connection. It's like quantum pool - the grip and the OB are "entangled" at a distance.

pj
chgo

Next you'll tell us there's no Santa Clause, Tooth Fairy, Easter Bunny, or pot of gold at the end of the rainbow.

Killjoy!

("Get offa my G** D*** grass you young whippersnappers.!")