SJD vs. Joyner 1998 World One-Pocket

newfosgatesucks

Verified Member
Next would be the stripe cross corner, the 5, then bank the 7 or shoot the low ball. That 1 is game if the others fall.

ace

Verified Member
From
Longview, Tx
I am thinking the bank would be the best shot next

Attachments

• SJD vs. Joyner 1998 World One-Pocket - OnePocket.jpg
    SJD vs. Joyner 1998 World One-Pocket - OnePocket.jpg
    38.5 KB · Views: 0
  • SJD vs. Joyner 1998 World One-Pocket - OnePocket 4.JPG
    SJD vs. Joyner 1998 World One-Pocket - OnePocket 4.JPG
    37.8 KB · Views: 0

Frank Almanza

Verified Member
From
Upland, California
I like the bank on the ten next with position to play the strip that looks like the 15 ball (it looks like it goes) and save the 5 ball for a bank in case I don't get another shot after breaking up the stack.

SJDinPHX

Suspended
Wasn't always that shaky, but,....

Wasn't always that shaky, but,....

I don't remember the shot, but knowing my skill level with the rake lately, I probably made the 14, and froze myself to the duece ball in the stack...:eek:

Cowboy Dennis

Verified Member
From
Detroit,Michigan
Cowboy Dennis said:
Cliff is up 2-0 in games and just broke to the lower right-hand pocket. It's Dicks shot. Which ball would you play shapes on next?
Jeez, only a few responses? Everybody must still be asleep from the turkey. I was sure hoping that the Ghost would have given his opinion by now, or is the shot that obvious?

Dennis

lll

Verified Member
From
vero beach fl
the 10 seems to be the obvious shot.
from your comment its proably not what duck played shape for.

androd

Verified Member
From
New Braunfels tx.
I rarely play position on the bank. Regrettably sometimes. :( Using the crutch I might. Getting on the 5/15 is for sure what I'd shoot if I could reach the CB.
Rod.

Cowboy Dennis

Verified Member
From
Detroit,Michigan
lll said:
the 10 seems to be the obvious shot.
from your comment its proably not what duck played shape for.

The bank is the obvious next shot for most people, myself included. Dick played shapes on the 5 ball though.

The reason I posted this layout is that I was trying to describe to the Ghost on the phone just how Dick played when I played him.

One of the things I told Ghosty is that Dick plays position on balls differently than most people. It was tough to explain over the phone. SJD still "thinks" the same speed that he played 40 years ago so he plays position on balls according to that speed, and that speed must have been very high to play shapes on the 5 ball here like he did. Even though he got a little high on it, it was the right shot for him. He spent almost a full minute looking at the angles from both sides of the table before he shot the ball. He played position like this many times when we played but since he doesn't play the speed that he "thinks" anymore, it didn't always work out for him, but I saw what he was doing and appreciated it. I knew that 30 or 40 years ago he would have gotten the shapes he was attempting and just destroyed me.

If I was ever playing someone who passed up the bank to play shapes on the 5 in this situation I would know that I was playing either a very good player or an idiot.

P.S. Yes, he did make the 5 next.

SJD's Shot 2.jpg

SJD's Leave.Jpeg

CaliRed

Verified Member
From
Heart of the Midwest
Good analysis Dennis.... Wonder why he shot the 5, when it looks like there is a good angle off the 15 to go in between those 2 balls in the stack and open it up a little? Probably have the 2 open then.

I always have a hard time questioning top pro's shot selections, because I know at their level, they see much more than I do and understand much better the risks/rewards of shots and have the ability to play pin point position, which after all my years at pool, I still have a difficult time undestanding how a human being can swing a stick back and forth and hit a little ball into another little ball and make it go 20 feet around a slick surface and land in a area the size of a bra cup:)

I guess that's why I am so much in love with this game, there is always a challenge to get better at it. I play to get in a basketball shape area, but long for a day when I could get in the softball size area.

Cowboy Dennis said:
The bank is the obvious next shot for most people, myself included. Dick played shapes on the 5 ball though.

The reason I posted this layout is that I was trying to describe to the Ghost on the phone just how Dick played when I played him.

One of the things I told Ghosty is that Dick plays position on balls differently than most people. It was tough to explain over the phone. SJD still "thinks" the same speed that he played 40 years ago so he plays position on balls according to that speed, and that speed must have been very high to play shapes on the 5 ball here like he did. Even though he got a little high on it, it was the right shot for him. He spent almost a full minute looking at the angles from both sides of the table before he shot the ball. He played position like this many times when we played but since he doesn't play the speed that he "thinks" anymore, it didn't always work out for him, but I saw what he was doing and appreciated it. I knew that 30 or 40 years ago he would have gotten the shapes he was attempting and just destroyed me.

If I was ever playing someone who passed up the bank to play shapes on the 5 in this situation I would know that I was playing either a very good player or an idiot.

P.S. Yes, he did make the 5 next.

View attachment 1831

View attachment 1832

One Pocket Ghost

Verified Member
From
Ghosttown
CaliRed said:
land in a area the size of a bra cup :)

Greg....the size of bra cup that I have been intimately familiar with for the last 45 years, is large enough to easily get the cueball into...;)

- Ghosty

PS, And let me just say...I talked a good game, played very good position, and moved top speed - to enable me to get "intimately familiar" with all those large bra cups...:)

lll

Verified Member
From
vero beach fl
SJD maybe you could tell us what was going thru your mind and how you decided to come up with your shot and why??

newfosgatesucks

Verified Member
Dick playing on the 5 lets me know that if he ended up high the stripe in the rack had more space than I judged it to, as it would be the backup plan...
....My backup plans fail so miserably I tend to go all out on plan 'A' these days...:rolleyes:

stevelomako

Verified Member
From
Detroit, MI
Cowboy Dennis said:
Cliff is up 2-0 in games and just broke to the lower right-hand pocket. It's Dicks shot. Which ball would you play shapes on next?

View attachment 1821

He looks very very uncomfortable in that sweater. Who the hell wears sweaters that big to play pool in?? The guy must have been sleeping in the car on that trip, kinda looks like a sleeping bag with arms.

He needed a "One pocket forever" shirt to play in.