Size of field for 1P org Throw Down

LSJohn

Verified Member
From
monett missouri
Voting has concluded, but as expected, no clear result. Various interpretations are possible. Should we choose the solution that gives the most members exactly what they have chosen, or choose the solution that gives even more members what is closest -- apparently least objectionable -- to the preferences of the most.

The majority of voters prefer a cap; the majority of voters prefer not capping at 32. The solution that comes closest to the preferences of most members is capping at 48.

Jefff, Disco and I discussed it and came to the conclusion that 48 cap is best (thinking we probably won't reach that anyway) so 48 it will be.

Get your entries in if you want to be sure of a slot. Sending entry has nothing to do with trusting you, it's just to secure your place in the unlikely event that 48 fills. You don't have to pre-post, it's just that you're taking a risk if you don't.

Miller

Verified Member
From
East St. Louis Area
:confused:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_uHBFiAnpZs

actually, cap on 32 netted 44% of the vote.

however, it could probably be reasonably be assumed that those which voted for "no cap" would prefer 48.

once again.....

-32 can be done, 3/2
-48 is sketchy (solely based upon available tables and time considerations), would most certainly necessitate friday games and would have to be races to two on both sides

we still don't know how many are actually going to get in.

rnewkirk

Verified Member
From
Weatherford, TX
Tournament Field

Tournament Field

My thoughts are, with 12 tables, that we can go races to 3 in both winners and losers. Joey said Lacy's will let us use tables from the 22nd(practice) thru
the 25th. If we have one or two rounds on Fri 23rd, and start at 10 or 11 on Sat 24th and play 3-4 rounds on that day, it should come out better than 3 or 4 oclock Monday morning for finishing.

32 players - no sweat

48 players - play as tables become available

Glad I am just a participant instead of Tournament Director
All I know is I do not like 3/2, I like 3/3.:confused:

Miller

Verified Member
From
East St. Louis Area
post #76 on this thread illustrates how a 32 man event 3/2 could work:
http://www.onepocket.org/forum/showthread.php?t=11741&page=8

it assumes approximately three hours for a match on winners side (race to three) and approximately two hours for a match on the losers (race to two). some will go faster, some slower.....

i don't know how we change course at this point and decide two rounds will be played on friday. (maybe i am in the minority on this point -- but i will say for those of us traveling across the country making/or already made flight plans, vacation time, figuring out who is gonna take the kids to school, have people covering for us at work.....etc.....etc.....that pronouncement needs to be made now)

i'm ok with 48. just pointing out the facts for what they are. however, i think it will be a mess and forget about there being any available tables. but on the pro vs cons side it would be more inclusive.

:)

Miller

Verified Member
From
East St. Louis Area
post #76 on this thread illustrates how a 32 man event 3/2 could work:
http://www.onepocket.org/forum/showthread.php?t=11741&page=8

it assumes approximately three hours for a match on winners side (race to three) and approximately two hours for a match on the losers (race to two). some will go faster, some slower.....

i don't know how we change course at this point and decide two rounds will be played on friday. (maybe i am in the minority on this point -- but i will say for those of us traveling across the country making/or already made flight plans, vacation time, figuring out who is gonna take the kids to school, have people covering for us at work.....etc.....etc.....that pronouncement needs to be made now)

i'm ok with 48. just pointing out the facts for what they are. however, i think it will be a mess and forget about there being any available tables. but on the pro vs cons side it would be more inclusive.

another thing to consider, that bracket was made up on the assumption that there were 15 tables available. we now know that there are 12! :eek:

Disco Dave

Verified Member
From
Houston, TX
:

actually, cap on 32 netted 44% of the vote.

however, it could probably be reasonably be assumed that those which voted for "no cap" would prefer 48.

Discounting the vote from the very recently joined member,
only 26 votes were cast over the five days of polling.

32- 46%
48 -35%
No Cap - 19%

Although, the 32 player cap was statistically the individual majority, the No-Cap voters represented a statistically important viewpoint. Several 32-cap voters themselves stated that they are fine with larger cap or no cap but voted 32 because it was simply their opinion. Likewise, I voted 48 because of a desire to be more inclusive although I actually prefer the 32 player cap.

I think that as many of us are decidedly opinionated, others are also ambivalent. LSJohn, myself or Jeff are not the rulers of this group and are only doing our best to help pull this off. Consensus needs to be established and decisions need to be made, but we must all realize that we are hopefully all friends trying to get together and pass a good time. Jeff Sparks is the prime generator and motivator for this event, although he humbly does not see it in his preview to claim any decision-making authority. He really wants this to be a great social event for all of us with the common interest of onepocket.

That said, with this many folks it is difficult to make everyone happy. LSJohn’s post stated our (His, Jeff’s, my) attempt to help herd this band of cats toward the goal. 48 cap seem the most inclusive while seeting a limit. Realistically, based on participating posters, we may not even reach 48 players although 36-40 seems possible. Setting a 48-player cap probably wouldn’t eliminate anyone who wanted to attend, although in the interests of time, 3/3 or 3/2 matches may be unrealistic with that large a field.

Jeff has said, and LSJohn and I agree, that it will all shake out depending on how many we actually get. The best thing that can be done at this time is to send in your entries as soon as you are able so we can have a better idea how to structure the brackets or round robin or what have you.

As far as field size, here's an intersting point, only about 22 members have bothered to send in entry fees out of about less than 40 members who have exprrssed some level of interest in coming, so I don't feel we will fill a 48 man roster. We should be able to accomodate everyone who wants to come.

Last edited:

Disco Dave

Verified Member
From
Houston, TX

All the more reason we should get our entries in now so we can plan these details instead of waiting til the last minute onsite.

Miller

Verified Member
From
East St. Louis Area
Get your entries in if you want to be sure of a slot. Sending entry has nothing to do with trusting you, it's just to secure your place in the unlikely event that 48 fills. You don't have to pre-post, it's just that you're taking a risk if you don't.

more :confused:

All the more reason we should get our entries in now so we can plan these details instead of waiting til the last minute onsite.

exactly.

one more point and i'm done (i swear :p):

to plan the event, this action was taken for that very reason. money is currently being sent. why change that now?

Jeff sparks

Verified Member
From
Houston, Texas
Over and under window is open...

Over and under window is open...

I'll set the O&A at 39 real live bodies that will actually show up and play in this years event... And personally I would bet the under... It might actually turn out very close to a 32 man field when the smoke clears...

I tried before to get a count on the people who could not be there on Friday, the only responses I remember reading were Millers ( late Friday evening ) and Gulfportdoc ( can't make it Friday ) I'm assuming all others are planning on being there Friday.... If that is in fact the case, we should not have a problem at all, we just do the bracket draw and play two rounds Friday evening, whoever draws the no shows can play their matches 1st thing Saturday morning...

Is there anybody else playing in this tournament who will not be there on Friday??? RSVP. PLEASE...:)

LSJohn

Verified Member
From
monett missouri
I'll set the O&A at 39 real live bodies that will actually show up and play in this years event... And personally I would bet the under... It might actually turn out very close to a 32 man field when the smoke clears...

I tried before to get a count on the people who could not be there on Friday, the only responses I remember reading were Millers ( late Friday evening ) and Gulfportdoc ( can't make it Friday ) I'm assuming all others are planning on being there Friday.... If that is in fact the case, we should not have a problem at all, we just do the bracket draw and play two rounds Friday evening, whoever draws the no shows can play their matches 1st thing Saturday morning...

Is there anybody else playing in this tournament who will not be there on Friday??? RSVP. PLEASE...:)

I'm with you except that I think you'll go broke betting under 39 if 3500 members are qualified entrants.

I made one decision already based upon my impression that it was settled that we were talking about people who contribute to the forum, not all those who only signed up and lurk/read.

If that's not settled, there are at least 2 people who need to be notified.

gulfportdoc

Verified Member
From
Gulfport, Mississippi
I'm not sure why y'all had a poll, but then threw out the results.:confused:

Pool players are notoriously recalcitrant. Some guys are probably waiting to see what the cap would be. With 32 they'd more likely be to send in the money. If now it's suddenly decided to be 48, guys will wait longer to send entries.

48 players is going to be tough to get done. If it's 3/2, then the matches should be scheduled every two hours, and have "speed up" solutions ready. Even then, it's going to be a loooong day Saturday.;) Maybe Dustin can figure up the times to see if it's possible.

~Doc

cincy_kid

Verified Member
From
Cincinnati, OH
I voted for no cap only because I didn't want to see someone fly in and then not get the chance to play. If you are giving priority to those of us flying in or to the first come first serve based on entry fee paid, I am fine with a 32 man cap if that helps this get done time. Especially considering there aren't many who have paid yet, it gives everyone who is serious about going plenty of time to decide and pony up.

Jeff sparks

Verified Member
From
Houston, Texas

Pool players are notoriously recalcitrant. Some guys are probably waiting to see what the cap would be. With 32 they'd more likely be to send in the money. If now it's suddenly decided to be 48, guys will wait longer to send entries.

48 players is going to be tough to get done. If it's 3/2, then the matches should be scheduled every two hours, and have "speed up" solutions ready. Even then, it's going to be a loooong day Saturday.;) Maybe Dustin can figure up the times to see if it's possible.

~Doc

Amazing.... Simply amazing.... We are worrying about playing with a field of 48 when we only have 36 or so who have shown any interest in playing since this first came about a month or so ago... If they haven't at least commented once on the event or posted any opinion about where it should be held or when, then my guess is, they don't care and aren't planning on coming....

If it turns out that 48 actually sign up to play and pay their entry fee before Dave's deadline of August 31st, I will be totally amazed.. As I said earlier, why worry, just be prepared for the most (48 & Cory's format) or go with whatever we end up with and a race to 3/2...

It'll work out, might not be perfect, but then when was any tournament ever perfect, except the Seniors & Super Seniors...:):):D

Relaxxxxxx....it's gonna be fun.....:)

Island Drive

Verified Member
From
florence, colorado
Amazing.... Simply amazing.... We are worrying about playing with a field of 48 when we only have 36 or so who have shown any interest in playing since this first came about a month or so ago... If they haven't at least commented once on the event or posted any opinion about where it should be held or when, then my guess is, they don't care and aren't planning on coming....

If it turns out that 48 actually sign up to play and pay their entry fee before Dave's deadline of August 31st, I will be totally amazed.. As I said earlier, why worry, just be prepared for the most (48 & Cory's format) or go with whatever we end up with and a race to 3/2...

It'll work out, might not be perfect, but then when was any tournament ever perfect, except the Seniors & Super Seniors...:):):D

Relaxxxxxx....it's gonna be fun.....:)

Yep Jeff....we're dealing with poolplayers ain't we :eek:. My thoughts in another thread were this.

32 Max

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Since it's the first time doing this at Lacy's, the chances of the final day running waaaaaaay late are lessened. Not knowing their business/employee situation, it's probably best to NOT run into the am hours of the next day JIC the room owner wants to do this again.

Miller

Verified Member
From
East St. Louis Area

~Doc

(In any event, starting play on Friday makes sense.)

I look at it this way: a 32 man event would consist of 62 matches being played on 12 tables. I illustrated what was possible (at the time thinking we had 15 tables at our disposal) in two days on a tight schedule.

A 48 man event, even starting on Friday, I just can't see how anyone can possibly come to the conclusion that it could be anything other than races to two on both sides and it will be an IRON MAN. It will also involve figuring out byes and hopping on a table as they become available. In other words, the making of a clusterfuk. Then again, we might not even get 48, we might not even get 32.....

I understand the want to make this as inclusive as possible. I want to bang Catherine Zeta-Jones. But that ain't gonna happen and I have my wife (not that she's all that bad....;):D). What you want and what is possible may be two different things.

Doc makes a good point - when do other members who can do math decide that it isn't for them?

Personally, I'm probably bracket filler fodder regardless and ultimately (although not my preference) fine with 48. Seeing my friends and having a good time is enough. I hope I'm wrong (been that many times) and the tourney aspect all works itself out.

(Regarding the first round round-robin format....it's neat and gives most the opportunity to play other members. I hate to be the buzzkill again, but given 12 tables, and based upon the model I saw, it assumes an average of 30 minutes per game.)

Last edited:

Disco Dave

Verified Member
From
Houston, TX
what am i missing
here is the poll
View attachment 15264
how did 32 not win??

I thought we had explained:

12 votes for 32-cap, 9 votes for 48 -cap, and 5 for No Cap (excluding the ineligible vote). That's 14 votes against 32-player cap so we arrived at 48-player cap.

Steve Booth (NH Steve) our owner/admin has been contacted regarding this and a couple other issues.

Disco Dave

Verified Member
From
Houston, TX
I agree that my sympathies as a player with respect to the time constraints are with the 32-player cap. That is still alot to play in the time frame.

On the other hand, the initial premise of this get-together was social...to meet each other, and have some fun. The more the merrier.

I have also requested that Joey A get back to us in the Tournament Coordinator thread with an idea of how late in the evening we are allowed to play for planning rounds.