Shuff v. Compton WWYD #1

Wayne

Verified Member
anyhow i would then go off the 13 ball down to the end rail by the 6 ball.. your shot.. thanks for giving up a ball.
Your welcome, thanks for giving up a ball first. You are frozen behind the 14 (not beside, behind) so the shot you described is not an option. (remember i can kick as good as you so I left you frozen).

Wayne

Verified Member
So Brandon shot the wrong shot, hit it badly and still won the game.:D

I think in a scenario like this where you have many options, you have to pick a shot you feel you can execute, not necessarily the most tactical shot. Many think the two railer is almost a hanger, and others want to kick at the six two rails. I feel comfortable shooting it like Bill Stroud suggests and bending it a little.

Different strokes for different folks.
That would be the shot that most people would choose if it were an option. However, the cueball is blocked enough to prevent a swerve or bend to kick at it. The cueball can kick to the center diamond on the end rail only so you would need to do a huge masse to kick one rail. I am sure Brandon would have done that if it was available. The 2 rail kick is available but it is a delicate one.

onepockethacker

Verified Member
Your welcome, thanks for giving up a ball first. You are frozen behind the 14 (not beside, behind) so the shot you described is not an option. (remember i can kick as good as you so I left you frozen).
No you don't kick as good as me.. actually you dont do any part of the game better than me.. so when you kicked you totally sold out.. now pay up

Hennie Bogan

Verified Member
Brandon is not on a foul and no one called the 6 frozen. Also, regarding Chip's run, in my opinion, Chip should have run more balls. The miss on the 6 looked careless to me. He had what I thought was good shape on it.

I think the options identified are all viable and, given good execution, could work out well. I know that where I play, people would probably be more likely to shoot the two-railer on the 2 and leave their opponent long, but the pockets are very tight and they aren't playing a world beater.

I would love to hear opinions as to why many are not really advocating for the simple move of just coming off the 14 to the bottom rail as suggested by Varner. I don't see much that Compton could do from there.

I believe I understand the benefit of getting under the 6 with a kick (limiting what your opponent can do next), but is it worth the possibility of taking a foul or selling out by hitting the top side of the 6 (I know this is probably pretty unlikely for a better player) if not executed properly?

I find kicking short into the rail as you would be doing here to be challenging, and my guess is Nick V. would have not liked that shot over just thinning the 14 because of the possibility of fouling or selling out (just a guess though).

gulfportdoc

Verified Member
Brandon is not on a foul and no one called the 6 frozen. ...

I would love to hear opinions as to why many are not really advocating for the simple move of just coming off the 14 to the bottom rail as suggested by Varner. I don't see much that Compton could do from there.

I think that is a good shot; simple and effective. After all, if Varner likes it, it's worth taking it into consideration.

However, I agree with Hacker. If the shooter can get the CB under the 6, or nearly so, then that's an even better leave.

~Doc

Frank Almanza

Verified Member
Here's my take on this. The shot to the six ball looks to me to be more than just a bend, it looks like a full blown masse. A soft bend would be ok but I don't see how that would help you much, except to survive another inning and you'll probably still be in trouble. From that position you'll more than likely find yourself behind the 13 ball.
The hard masse is nothing but trouble.

What he shot is ok in my book because of the score with Chip needing nine. If he made the eight he would be in position run some more. However running into the five ball would be hard to anticipate. Even if he didn't run into the five he might still have trouble because it looks like the five had a path to the pocket.

The two railer on the two ball if it didn't go had a lot of places to land where there would not be offensive option. Just by being in that area would be a concern for Chip. It would pretty much limit the options that Chip would have.

We make selections according to how our mental makes up is that that time. One day we do this and another day we do that. If he makes that eight, how sweet it would have been for him.

John Brumback

Verified Member
Here's my take...looks like the cloth is worn,so imo the curve to kick behind the 6 is fairly tough. And it looks like you would have to jack up over that ball to do it. I like that shot except for reasons above.

I know what I would be shooting here...the 2ball 2 rails with low outside english ( left) and kill the cball right there on the end rail,If I miss it...he can swing away from there.

Using low outside english on that 2 ball makes it go or get real close every time.
With outside you can hit a 2" area on the rail and make that ball a lot of times.

JMHO tho,I'm just a bank pool player who plays one pocket once a year.. John B.

OPBEAST

Verified Member
I would (at lay down speed) 2 rail kick at the 6 ball and wait for a potential better cb position on my next inning.

Using the diamond system will let you hit your mark!!! Have faith! lol! :heh

onepockethacker

Verified Member
Here's my take...looks like the cloth is worn,so imo the curve to kick behind the 6 is fairly tough. And it looks like you would have to jack up over that ball to do it. I like that shot except for reasons above.

I know what I would be shooting here...the 2ball 2 rails with low outside english ( left) and kill the cball right there on the end rail,If I miss it...he can swing away from there.

Using low outside english on that 2 ball makes it go or get real close every time.
With outside you can hit a 2" area on the rail and make that ball a lot of times.

JMHO tho,I'm just a bank pool player who plays one pocket once a year.. John B.
John you made the bank and split the wicket.. you killed your cue ball on the end rail.. its still your shot.. WWYD?
You shot the 2 railer and the 2 ball came to rest on the end rail. Your opponent just banked the 14 ball over to his hole almost hanging it and brought the cue ball back up table where you left him... WWYD?
You shot the 2 railer and the 2 ball ended on the side rail. Your opponent just banked the 2 ball over to his hole and brought the cue ball back up table.. WWYD?

Now then I kick at the 6 ball leaving you behind it... WWYD?
I just kick the cue ball over to the end rail by the 6 ball and take a scratch.. WWYD?

Brandon is in trouble in the original situation because of the ball position and where the cue ball happens to be. By going for the 2 ball 2 railer if you leave the 2 ball in a spot where your opponent can either bank it or the 14 ball you will end up screwed. By putting the cue ball by or under the 6 ball you will end up in a better situation your next turn

P.S. If you kill the cue ball right there the 6 ball can be made straight in soooo..... you might want to put the cue ball somewhere else but not to the left because then your opponent plays the hanger ticky...soooo....

Last edited:

John Brumback

Verified Member
John you made the bank and split the wicket.. you killed your cue ball on the end rail.. its still your shot.. WWYD?
You shot the 2 railer and the 2 ball came to rest on the end rail. Your opponent just banked the 14 ball over to his hole almost hanging it and brought the cue ball back up table where you left him... WWYD?
You shot the 2 railer and the 2 ball ended on the side rail. Your opponent just banked the 2 ball over to his hole and brought the cue ball back up table.. WWYD?

Now then I kick at the 6 ball leaving you behind it... WWYD?
I just kick the cue ball over to the end rail by the 6 ball and take a scratch.. WWYD?

Brandon is in trouble in the original situation because of the ball position and where the cue ball happens to be. By going for the 2 ball 2 railer if you leave the 2 ball in a spot where your opponent can either bank it or the 14 ball you will end up screwed. By putting the cue ball by or under the 6 ball you will end up in a better situation your next turn

P.S. If you kill the cue ball right there the 6 ball can be made straight in soooo..... you might want to put the cue ball somewhere else but not to the left because then your opponent plays the hanger ticky...soooo....
Good match,you beat me again:frus:lol John B.

PS: Think I'll stick to bank pool:eek:

onepockethacker

Verified Member
Sorry I brought knowledge, foresight and common sense to another WWYD... Didn't mean to wake you guys out of your one pocket coma... I will let you guys go back to playing the first shot you see no matter what the consequences

LSJohn

Verified Member
If one pocket knowledge equated to miles per hour.... you guys couldn't get a speeding ticket in a school zone on Monday morning:sorry:lol:lol
If one pocket narcissism equated to mph you'd be a Formula 1 stud. :D

Tell ya what... I'll take 10-8 and play you a race to 10 next time we meet.

for $5

Wayne

Verified Member
Sorry I brought knowledge, foresight and common sense to another WWYD... Didn't mean to wake you guys out of your one pocket coma... I will let you guys go back to playing the first shot you see no matter what the consequences
I think my game dropped two balls with all this knowledge, foresight and common sense.

Wayne

Verified Member
You have no game:sorry
I am in the same boat as you a shortstop who plays well but will never be a world beater. No need for you or anyone else to convince me otherwise. If being a shortstop constitutes having no game then you have no game either and probably no one else on the site does either according to your way of thinking.

androd

Verified Member
"Somewhere between two and a billion fools lies the power to persuade even highly intelligent, seemingly rational people of absurdities." -- philhellenes

Rod.