Shuff v. Compton WWYD #1

bstroud

Verified Member
Even if you need to swerve the cue ball to kick at the 6 ball, it is the correct shot.

Bill S.

onepockethacker

Verified Member
must be the high % masse ticky.....:eek::p:lol
I know Dustin thinking more than one shot and possibilty is WAY beyond your grasp:sorry but true... If you read my post I said the ticky was "JUST 1 OF MANY" meaning if you draw the cue ball back like some suggested you could easily leave the ticky which is a hanger. There are a BUNCH of things that you leave and can go wrong shooting the 2 railer... now I know I don't expect you to grasp that concept because the 2 railer JUMPS out at you however when you play one pocket the right way beyond your own shot and think about what will happen if you shoot that shot that JUMPS out at you than you will spring board from the bottom tier on here:lol:lol:lol

P.S. here is a free hint I usually charge for Dustin.. if you want to be a better one pocket player instead of thinking of what can go right if you shoot a low percentage shot start thinking about WHAT CAN GO WRONG

onepockethacker

Verified Member
Another option your opponent will have if you bank the 2 ball is rolling the 9 ball in the side pocket and freezing the cue ball on the 13/1 balls. 9 ball spots up. All 3 go in my hole only the 12 ball that you won't ever shoot goes in yours...

onepockethacker

Verified Member
People its real simple.. If you make the 2 ball or hang it its a good shot.. now then how many of you guys think you are going to hit it that good under the gun? For the guys that think they will... quit jerking off in the mirror:p If the 2 ball lays on the side rail you leave a cross corner that will put you in more trouble. If it lays on the end rail you leave a free cross corner bank on the 14 or the roll in on the 9 ball that makes your situation worse.

onepockethacker

Verified Member
I know everyone sees these young guys shooting at everything these days and when they are going in they look GREAT... meanwhile when they are not it looks REAL BAD.... sometimes a simple move is the best answer.... like in this case kicking at the 6 ball even if you don't get a rail is the right shot. Ok boys and girls thats today's lesson.. I don't want to overload the short bus minds.:D

LSJohn

Verified Member
Even if you need to swerve the cue ball to kick at the 6 ball, it is the correct shot.

Bill S.
I have no trouble getting the swerve, I just have trouble knowing how much of it I will get. :)

I think I should look for second-best here.

Miller

Verified Member
I know Dustin thinking more than one shot and possibilty is WAY beyond your grasp:sorry but true... If you read my post I said the ticky was "JUST 1 OF MANY" meaning if you draw the cue ball back like some suggested you could easily leave the ticky which is a hanger. There are a BUNCH of things that you leave and can go wrong shooting the 2 railer... now I know I don't expect you to grasp that concept because the 2 railer JUMPS out at you however when you play one pocket the right way beyond your own shot and think about what will happen if you shoot that shot that JUMPS out at you than you will spring board from the bottom tier on here:lol:lol:lol

P.S. here is a free hint I usually charge for Dustin.. if you want to be a better one pocket player instead of thinking of what can go right if you shoot a low percentage shot start thinking about WHAT CAN GO WRONG
I know everyone sees these young guys shooting at everything these days and when they are going in they look GREAT... meanwhile when they are not it looks REAL BAD.... sometimes a simple move is the best answer.... like in this case kicking at the 6 ball even if you don't get a rail is the right shot. Ok boys and girls thats today's lesson.. I don't want to overload the short bus minds.:D
oh hacker my hacker....
since you're in such a giving mood today :rolleyes::D.....what did buddy hall tell you 12 years ago?
:)

keoneyo

Verified Member
In this situation I think I would kick behind the 6 ball.

The problem is that Chip has the balls on his side.

If you can get behind the 6 and force him to play off of it on his next inning you might begin to remove the balls from his side.

The 2 rail with low right is an option but it is risky if you hit one of the balls in the middle of the table and you really haven't created much.

Bil S.
Im going to agree that this is probably the best option. Youre going to have to deal with those balls eventually and shooting the 2 ball just could exacerbate the problem. I don't like shooting the 2 leaving whitey out in the open. A good one pocket mind can return the favor with a decent move unless you hang it up. If you make the deuce then what?
If there is some way you can shoot the 2 and then freezing your opponent to a ball I could see it but leaving whitey out in the open, no.
Yeah I like your shot.

bstroud

Verified Member
I have played both of these guys even several times. Both for money and in tournaments.

If you think I am going to leave either one of them any shot at their pocket from where the shot on the 2 ball will end up you are dreaming. As Hacker said there are just too many options to make a ball.

Now is the time to get the balls away from Chips' pocket. If you leave them there you may not get another chance.

A major part of the Modern game is knowing when to shoot and when to move.

It's moving time.

Bill S.

treeMan

Verified Member
What kick at the 6?

What kick at the 6?

I follow and agree with the reasoning of Bill S. and Rob on not shooting the two-railer on the 2.

Sorry Dr. Bill, in this case the two-railer will lead to too many unproductive outcomes, leaving your opponent the opportunity to put a strong move on you.

That being said, I don't understand the kick on the six being discussed here. One rail off the foot rail? From this cue ball position, you can only see the middle diamond on the short rail, and you aint getting to the 6 from there, swerve or no swerve. If my opponent wanted to shoot a half masse or something from here, I would be silently smiling, it is not a controlled shot.

A two rail kick is plausible, long then short, although it's no cupcake from here.

I am liking Fanny's shot more and more, thinning the 1 and going behind the 2. Although, if I was playing this game, I would have shot the two-railer in a second :frus.

LSJohn

Verified Member
I am liking Fanny's shot more and more, thinning the 1 and going behind the 2.
I think it's the best shot (playing CB two rails) but I don't have confidence that I could get there. Given what Fanny, Stroud and Hacker have said here, if it came up now Id shoot it and hope. (A rare disagreement with Dr. Bill.)

onepockethacker

Verified Member
I think it's the best shot (playing CB two rails) but I don't have confidence that I could get there. Given what Fanny, Stroud and Hacker have said here, if it came up now Id shoot it and hope. (A rare disagreement with Dr. Bill.)
The problem with going off the 1 ball and behind the 2 ball is it is harder to do than you think and if you don't get there you leave the cross corner on the 14 ball or possibly something off the balls by your side pocket. Just 2/3 rail kick at the 6 ball. as long as you get to the side rail under the 6 ball even if you dont hit the 6 ball or totally hook him behind it his options are very limited and you will have a better choice your next time at the table.

P.S. Dont be afraid to owe a ball in these situations

onepockethacker

Verified Member
What did Brandon probably shoot? Seeing how these guys are gunners with no regard to their result he will probably fly at the deuce:lol:lol

onepockethacker

Verified Member
oh hacker my hacker....
since you're in such a giving mood today :rolleyes::D.....what did buddy hall tell you 12 years ago?
:)
LOL :sorry that is something Im keeping to myself... seeing how remembering it just raised my game 3 balls ( and thats no bullshit) The Hacker has his arsenal back... so in other words im on the top tier on this site by myself.. :eek:

Hennie Bogan

Verified Member
I'm glad this turned out to be a good wwyd. I think there are lots of viable options. Mr. Varner did not like two railing the 2. He thought there was too much traffic in the middle of the table and with a straight shooter like Chip, you don't want to risk leaving him something to get started. He advocated for either thinning the 14 and coming down to the end rail or coming off of the thirteen to the same spot.

I thought this was an interesting wwyd, not only because of the many options available, but also because Brandon had just spent the past 5 innings getting out of jam after jam with a ball by Chip's pocket. I know when I find myself in this spot and I have worked out of a jam, a couple of things play on my thinking. Sometimes I think to myself that I finally got where I am free to do something, so I need to do something aggressive while I have the opportunity. Other times, I think that I am doing a great job of getting out of this jam, so lets keep doing simple things and not throw it all away by doing something difficult. Here, with the ball count being what it is, I think I would have opted for the more conservative shot and tried to continue to work my way out of the situation.

Brandon ended up banking at the 8. He hit it ok, but ran into the 5 ball with the cue ball, leaving Chip good on the 12 and the 15. Chip ran a few, missed the 6 ball by (a bit carelessly) clipping the 3 with the cue ball, and Brandon ran 8 to get to 6 and eventually won the game.
Shuff v. Compton WWYD 1.2 (1).jpg

Last edited:

LSJohn

Verified Member
The problem with going off the 1 ball and behind the 2 ball is it is harder to do than you think and if you don't get there you leave the cross corner on the 14 ball or possibly something off the balls by your side pocket. Just 2/3 rail kick at the 6 ball. as long as you get to the side rail under the 6 ball even if you dont hit the 6 ball or totally hook him behind it his options are very limited and you will have a better choice your next time at the table.

P.S. Dont be afraid to owe a ball in these situations
Thanks

It's pretty hard to choose in some of these situations when I wind up trying to fuigure out my least level of incompetence. :eek:

:frus :frus

Wayne

Verified Member
Another option your opponent will have if you bank the 2 ball is rolling the 9 ball in the side pocket and freezing the cue ball on the 13/1 balls. 9 ball spots up. All 3 go in my hole only the 12 ball that you won't ever shoot goes in yours...
You might want to look at the layout more closely. The 9 ball would have to be cut thinly at slow speed from distance to try to pocket it in the side and you would have a hard time freezing to the 13/1 balls unless you used a lot of inside English (not realistic). If the 9 ball was a little further off the rail it might be an option but it isn't.

(look at the 2nd photo in the original post and if the cueball ends up in the vicinity of where the 2 ball lies you will see it is not an option)

Last edited:

onepockethacker

Verified Member
You might want to look at the layout more closely. The 9 ball would have to be cut thinly at slow speed from distance to try to pocket it in the side and you would have a hard time freezing to the 13/1 balls unless you used a lot of inside English (not realistic). If the 9 ball was a little further off the rail it might be an option but it isn't.

(look at the 2nd photo in the original post and if the cueball ends up in the vicinity of where the 2 ball lies you will see it is not an option)
You might want to read my posts more closely. I said there were MANY different options if the shooter elects to shoot the 2 railer. It depends on what the shooter does with the cue ball. If they elect to draw the cue ball like some suggested then the 9 ball in the side and freezing to the 13/1 is an easy option. The fact is there are million ways you get screwed by shooting the 2 railer and 2 ways that are good. Play the percentages.

Last edited:

LSJohn

Verified Member
LOL :sorry that is something Im keeping to myself... seeing how remembering it just raised my game 3 balls ( and thats no bullshit) The Hacker has his arsenal back... so in other words im on the top tier on this site by myself.. :eek:
Good thing too... one full-figured girl up there with you and you'd collapse the whole framework. :D