Shuff v. Compton WWYD #1

Hennie Bogan

Verified Member
Alright, first WWYD for you guys. Some obvious easy get-out-of-the-inning options and some more aggressive choices.

Score is -2 to -1, advantage Chip. It's Shuff's shot and he has the lower left pocket in the first pic. Compton has the pocket near where the 6 is. No one has called the 6 frozen.

For background, Shuff had been kicking out of the stack for the past 5 innings or so. Compton kept glancing off balls by the stack to put Shuff back in there until there weren't any balls left to glance off of. This was the best he could do now with the balls moving up table. WWYD or what should Brandon do? Mr. Varner is in the booth commentating, so the pressure is on to find the right shot!

Shuff v. Compton WWYD 1.jpg

Shuff v. Compton WWYD 1.1.jpg

wincardona

Verified Member
Alright, first WWYD for you guys. Some obvious easy get-out-of-the-inning options and some more aggressive choices.

Score is -2 to -1, advantage Chip. It's Shuff's shot and he has the lower left pocket in the first pic. Compton has the pocket near where the 6 is. No one has called the 6 frozen.

For background, Shuff had been kicking out of the stack for the past 5 innings or so. Compton kept glancing off balls by the stack to put Shuff back in there until there weren't any balls left to glance off of. This was the best he could do now with the balls moving up table. WWYD or what should Brandon do? Mr. Varner is in the booth commentating, so the pressure is on to find the right shot!

View attachment 12652

View attachment 12653
I would strongly consider to two rail the 2ball. Looks to me that Compton side of the table is jammed up pretty good and if Shuff can position the 2ball near his pocket Compton will be forced to either move it or take a tough shot on the stripe (12ball) which he wont like. I would also consider banking the 8ball if I could play a good cue ball, same strategy as banking the 2ball.

Either shot could produce a strong position for Schuff, it's all about the cue ball.

Dr. Bill

Wayne

Verified Member
I would 2 rail the 2 ball to my hole with a little draw. It appears that it needs to need to be cut just a little so I will end up with a ball in or close to my pocket and the cueball in a good spot if I don't sink it. (looks like 2 responses while I was typing mine both with the same answer)

Frank Almanza

Verified Member
I'm also two railing the two ball but using inside English. I don't want to give him a shot on the 15 ball by the spot. These guys make everything they shoot at.

two rail with inside.jpg

Fanatic

Verified Member
It's a good shot... the 2 railer looks almost dead lol but I also might like to entertain going off the one...breaking up those two balls (if it mattered...but it doesn't look like it does) and nestling the cue ball behind the 2 for a jam up safe...I don't think they'd like it from there. Definitely limits their options and I believe it will increase the odds of a forced error..maybe even an intentional scratch?. I'm not sure I'd like an open cue ball with so much excitement going on...lots of lucky accidents happen from layouts like these

Last edited:

keoneyo

Verified Member
I like the thought process

I like the thought process

It's a good shot... the 2 railer looks almost dead lol but I also might like to entertain going off the one...breaking up those two balls (if it mattered...but it doesn't look like it does) and nestling the cue ball behind the 2 for a jam up safe...I don't think they'd like it from there. Definitely limits their options and I believe it will increase the odds of a forced error..maybe even an intentional scratch?. I'm not sure I'd like an open cue ball with so much excitement going on...lots of lucky accidents happen from layouts like these
I was thinking about that move. Looking at the angle I didn't think that deuce is makeable. I think it might collide with the 10 and bad things could happen.
I was thinking about 2 railing the 2 short and drawing the cue ball under the striped ball on the top rail. Its a shot that Ive worked on and have been successful with. The trick is to leave it frozen to the top rail as well as snookered under the striped ball.

I just don't like leaving whitey out in the open like that. So in that case your shot of feathering the one ball and putting the rock under the 2 is a strong safety. Youll eventually have to deal with those balls around his pocket though.

wincardona

Verified Member
This is what I was thinking as well. Inside.
Using inside english with this shot is problematic because you're going to need to cut the 2ball to the right. The speed needed to reach the pocket will not work well (too hard) with a high right ball. At least that's the way I see it.

Using a low ball you will be leaving the cue ball close to the top rail with an awkward angle for any return shot, plus not much potential for position. I wouldn't mind any one shooting from there.

Dr. Bill

bstroud

Verified Member
In this situation I think I would kick behind the 6 ball.

The problem is that Chip has the balls on his side.

If you can get behind the 6 and force him to play off of it on his next inning you might begin to remove the balls from his side.

The 2 rail with low right is an option but it is risky if you hit one of the balls in the middle of the table and you really haven't created much.

Bil S.

onepockethacker

Verified Member
Banking the 2 ball IS NOT THE SHOT...The 2 rail on the 2 ball is only good if you make it or hang it up.. Please will you people start to think more ahead than the current shot you are on:frus:frus

P.S. Billy I. played Slava 2 races to 7 10 ball on the REAL tight table at Gold crown.. 7 to 2 7 to 1 missed 1 ball in 2 sets on that monster table. IM BACCCKKKKKK:D

onepockethacker

Verified Member

If you can get behind the 6 and force him to play off of it on his next inning you might begin to remove the balls from his side.

The 2 rail with low right is an option but it is risky if you hit one of the balls in the middle of the table and you really haven't created much.

Bil S.
You are right Bill.

LSJohn

Verified Member
Bill and Hacker

Bill and Hacker

Bil S.
It looks to me that kicking that 6 requires a swerve. If so (and I shouldn't shoot the 2) I'd probably just roll to the bottom rail by sliding off the 14 and hope for something better later.

onepockethacker

Verified Member
Let me give just 1 ( of the many ) reasons you don't 2 rail the deuce. If you leave him the ticky off the 3 ball and making the 6 (which is a hanger) your dead meat. I will wait till others post to give the rest of the reasons.
P.S. By the way I don't give 2 shits if he 2 rails it and makes it or hangs it in the jaws.. ITS THE WRONG SHOT.

wincardona

Verified Member
Let me give just 1 ( of the many ) reasons you don't 2 rail the deuce. If you leave him the ticky off the 3 ball and making the 6 (which is a hanger) your dead meat. I will wait till others post to give the rest of the reasons.
P.S. By the way I don't give 2 shits if he 2 rails it and makes it or hangs it in the jaws.. ITS THE WRONG SHOT.
You may like another shot like kicking the 6ball but two railing the 2ball is not a bad shot, and you know it. There are too many balls that go into the shooters pocket in this lay out and if you pocket the 2ball you will get paid off for the shot..big time.

Of course kicking at the 6ball is an option but there are times when you're just going to have to shoot to either play offensively or shoot an offensive shot that carries defensive results, two railing the 2ball is one of them.

You seem to worry about a stupid ticky on the 6ball which he probably won't even have the angle to shoot anyways, even if he did the position of the 6ball if frozen or close to frozen will offer problems to pocket and could result in a miss and a good return bank for his opponent. Plus if he somehow manages to make your stupid ticky where's his position?

Got to go this morning too many important things to take care of, other than debating over some stupid ticky.

Glad you're back, now you can shoot at your hole.

Dr. Bill

Miller

Verified Member
You may like another shot like kicking the 6ball but two railing the 2ball is not a bad shot, and you know it. There are too many balls that go into the shooters pocket in this lay out and if you pocket the 2ball you will get paid off for the shot..big time.

Of course kicking at the 6ball is an option but there are times when you're just going to have to shoot to either play offensively or shoot an offensive shot that carries defensive results, two railing the 2ball is one of them.

You seem to worry about a stupid ticky on the 6ball which he probably won't even have the angle to shoot anyways, even if he did the position of the 6ball if frozen or close to frozen will offer problems to pocket and could result in a miss and a good return bank for his opponent. Plus if he somehow manages to make your stupid ticky where's his position?

Got to go this morning too many important things to take care of, other than debating over some stupid ticky.

Glad you're back, now you can shoot at your hole.

Dr. Bill
must be the high % masse ticky.....:eek::p:lol

wgcp

Verified Member
Eight

Eight

If I could see enough of the 8 to bank it, with the open balls available I would bank the 8 and attempt to run out. If not I would play a simple safe to the end rail behind the two ball.

B