Showed DS my side rail break

u12armresl

Verified Member
Was playing last night and I asked Danny why he didn't side rail break with his game. He mentioned that he hadn't messed with it before.

I racked them up and showed it to him, he hit it a few times and said he will work on it over the course of 100 breaks. He wont pull it out for the big tournament, but maybe soon.

gulfportdoc

Verified Member
From
Gulfport, Mississippi
Eddie Robin, in his book Winning One-Pocket, suggests trying this side kick break shot under very humid conditions. He reasons that under wet conditions, more of the CB velocity will be transferred into the rack, rather than glancing away, so the traditional break shot must be hit firmer in order to get the CB where it's desirable. He also believes that more force must be used because the cloth is slower under wet conditions.

I personally haven't found this to be the case. Living in coastal Mississippi we play under damp conditions much of the year. With the traditional break the damp cloth does affect the rebound angle of the CB off the foot rail, so not as much english is needed, and a guy can break from the extreme side rail position with no problem.

Robin might have a point about the side rail kick break, but I've honestly never experimented with it. The main problem with the break is knowing precisely where the side rail must be struck in order to hit the third ball in the rack fully. If a guy plays all his 1P on the same table, then he can zero in on the spot. If he plays around on different tables, then practice would be required to learn the correct aiming point. If he's not familiar with it, and leaves it to chance, then poor outcomes might be expected-- certainly at first.

Keep in mind, when a guy uses the traditional break, he's aiming right at his target. When using the side rail kick break, he's inserting a bank into the equation...;)

~Doc

LSJohn

Verified Member
From
monett missouri
Was playing last night and I asked Danny why he didn't side rail break with his game. He mentioned that he hadn't messed with it before.

I racked them up and showed it to him, he hit it a few times and said he will work on it over the course of 100 breaks. He wont pull it out for the big tournament, but maybe soon.

If this break is any good, IMO it is for a mover, not a shooter. Lengthens the game and is less likely to give up a strong return off the break.

IOW, I'd say it's not a good fit for Danny.