Short cross banks...

bstroud

Verified Member
Joined
May 29, 2010
Messages
1,426
John Brumback said:
Yes you are correct. Don't you agree though that there's not much you can do with the cueball as far as hiding It goes? Seems the bank won't go very easy If your trying to run the cueball somewhere. I like the phrase.."scrape across It" never heard It put like that. You played alot with Eddie Taylor???
If you did can you tell me what speed he hit most of his basic bank shots with? Hard,soft,medium? I never got to see him hit a ball. Bummer for me.
Thank you for your time. John B.
John,

Many years ago when I was only 18 I went on the road with Taylor and traveled all over the country. He never got to play anyone once. Everyone knew him. He stayed in the motel mostly and sent me to play people he knew.
I never booked a loser in the entire year.

We would practice every day and he would help me with banks and one pocket. I already played 9 ball well enough.

We would practice one pocket even for a buck but he had to play me one handed at banks. He banked 14 on me in Memphis.

He taught me to play bank when many of the pool room in the South had mainly bank tables with all red balls. I still like the red balls to play bank the best. The main thing he taught was to use the vertical center of the cue ball and use speed to control the angle.

To answer your question he banked with a speed just above medium on most banks. Especially the twisters. End rail banks he hit a little harder and seemed to have the uncanny ability to miss a bank by a diamond and have it scurry in the hole. When I asked him about it he said it was the result of center ball and speed. It works.

English of any kind on a bank unless you need it for position tends to make the bank stand up in the pocket more. Especially in humid conditions.

He played twice the year we were together. In Vegas he played Ronnie even up one handed one pocket. I was a heist. Ronnie had no chance. The other time he played Ronnie in San Francisco just after RA won the one pocket tournament. Eddy robbed him.

After that he started drinking again and we parted ways.

Overall it was the experience of a lifetime.

Bill Stroud
 

John Brumback

Verified Member
Joined
Dec 6, 2010
Messages
1,747
lll said:
doesnt "scrape acoss it "convey whats happening more than "collision induced throw??"
thats a great way to say it
I'm not sure about that. I think the best way to make this shot Is to stun the cueball. Which, when done will put collision Induced throw on the object ball,making It twist and take some english off the rail.

I think there Is just different sayings to the ways people get the same point across In different parts of the country. Truman Houge calls It twisting them.
I think he would rather twist a bank than to eat.lol I shoot some shots like that and I like to call some of them,the drag shot. If hit right you can drag the ball over. John B.
 

Tramp Steamer

Verified Member
Joined
Dec 16, 2009
Messages
149
androd said:
Hope this is he shot you're talking about.
Rod

[CUETABLE]http://CueTable.com/P/?@3ADAW4PCSU3UDAW3UbjD4Ucxo4kCSU3kBlX3kBdn3kCJs@[/CUETABLE]
It is, yes.
 

John Brumback

Verified Member
Joined
Dec 6, 2010
Messages
1,747
bstroud said:
John,

Many years ago when I was only 18 I went on the road with Taylor and traveled all over the country. He never got to play anyone once. Everyone knew him. He stayed in the motel mostly and sent me to play people he knew.
I never booked a loser in the entire year.

We would practice every day and he would help me with banks and one pocket. I already played 9 ball well enough.

We would practice one pocket even for a buck but he had to play me one handed at banks. He banked 14 on me in Memphis.

He taught me to play bank when many of the pool room in the South had mainly bank tables with all red balls. I still like the red balls to play bank the best. The main thing he taught was to use the vertical center of the cue ball and use speed to control the angle.

To answer your question he banked with a speed just above medium on most banks. Especially the twisters. End rail banks he hit a little harder and seemed to have the uncanny ability to miss a bank by a diamond and have it scurry in the hole. When I asked him about it he said it was the result of center ball and speed. It works.

English of any kind on a bank unless you need it for position tends to make the bank stand up in the pocket more. Especially in humid conditions.

He played twice the year we were together. In Vegas he played Ronnie even up one handed one pocket. I was a heist. Ronnie had no chance. The other time he played Ronnie in San Francisco just after RA won the one pocket tournament. Eddy robbed him.

After that he started drinking again and we parted ways.

Overall it was the experience of a lifetime.

Bill Stroud
WOW!! Thanks alot. Sounds like I hit em a whole lot like he did! That's what I was hoping to here. Yep! It's all about the speed and using center ball!! Man I appreciate those stories!! That is so cool. Makes me want to go practice somemore.lol If you ever have anymore stories about him I would be all ears.
Thanks again Bill.John B.
 

bstroud

Verified Member
Joined
May 29, 2010
Messages
1,426
I thought I posted this before.

I forgot that Eddy played another time.

We were at the tournament in Macon put on by Roy Gandy.

After the tournament we went to the truck stop across the river.

Squirrel if he is still alive will remember this.

I was playing payball with Marcel Camp on the back table.

A ring 9 ball game was going on on the pool table with Squirrel, Joe Cosgrove and a few other good players. The game was full. Finally someone dropped out and Eddy asked to get in. Everyone groaned but let him in. Not long after that it was just Squirrel and Eddy left. Eddy asked if Squirrel wanted to keep playing head up. Squirrel said toss a coin. Eddy tossed up a quarter and before it hit the table Squirrel reached out and caught it. " Just kidding" he said.

Nobody wanted to play Eddy pool even but Sammy Blumenthal (with Horace Harper staking him) offered Eddy 9 points with 3 reds playing snooker. We thought we had the nuts but after two games we were 600.00 looser. We doubled the bet and the last game Eddy banked the 5 cross side, the 6 cross corner and had the 7 on the end rail on the toughest snooker table I ever saw.

Eddy warped the 7 end rail and got us even. We quit. It was the best bank I ever saw.

I really miss those times.

Bill Strodu
 

John Brumback

Verified Member
Joined
Dec 6, 2010
Messages
1,747
bstroud said:
I thought I posted this before.

I forgot that Eddy played another time.

We were at the tournament in Macon put on by Roy Gandy.

After the tournament we went to the truck stop across the river.

Squirrel if he is still alive will remember this.

I was playing payball with Marcel Camp on the back table.

A ring 9 ball game was going on on the pool table with Squirrel, Joe Cosgrove and a few other good players. The game was full. Finally someone dropped out and Eddy asked to get in. Everyone groaned but let him in. Not long after that it was just Squirrel and Eddy left. Eddy asked if Squirrel wanted to keep playing head up. Squirrel said toss a coin. Eddy tossed up a quarter and before it hit the table Squirrel reached out and caught it. " Just kidding" he said.

Nobody wanted to play Eddy pool even but Sammy Blumenthal (with Horace Harper staking him) offered Eddy 9 points with 3 reds playing snooker. We thought we had the nuts but after two games we were 600.00 looser. We doubled the bet and the last game Eddy banked the 5 cross side, the 6 cross corner and had the 7 on the end rail on the toughest snooker table I ever saw.

Eddy warped the 7 end rail and got us even. We quit. It was the best bank I ever saw.

I really miss those times.

Bill Strodu
Good stuff there!! Banked out on a super tuff snooker table!!! That's just an awesome story!! Wow that Is so strong.Thanks alot. I had never heard about that. John B.
 

androd

Verified Member
Joined
Dec 10, 2008
Messages
7,143
bstroud said:
A ring 9 ball game was going on on the pool table with Squirrel, Joe Cosgrove and a few other good players. The game was full. Finally someone dropped out and Eddy asked to get in. Everyone groaned but let him in. Not long after that it was just Squirrel and Eddy left. Eddy asked if Squirrel wanted to keep playing head up. Squirrel said toss a coin. Eddy tossed up a quarter and before it hit the table Squirrel reached out and caught it. " Just kidding" he said.
During the game, other players were Detroit Whitey, (He was limping around, He had a wreck at the go-cart track across the road) Canadian Pete, Johnny Vevius (SP) and a guy from W Virginia named Barfield.
The 1st shot Eddie had was a long straight back at the 8 ball frozen on the rail Eddie mashed it in on the wet table at that truck stop. After that he got a shot every game and as you said it was over pretty quickly.


bstroud said:
Nobody wanted to play Eddy pool even but Sammy Blumenthal (with Horace Harper staking him) offered Eddy 9 points with 3 reds playing snooker. We thought we had the nuts but after two games we were 600.00 looser. We doubled the bet and the last game Eddy banked the 5 cross side, the 6 cross corner and had the 7 on the end rail on the toughest snooker table I ever saw.

Eddy warped the 7 end rail and got us even. We quit. It was the best bank I ever saw.
I really miss those times.
Bill Strodu
You may be selling Eddie short, I remember he was getting spotted 2 points
Sammys stakehorse was the guy that owned the pool room and the numbers racket in Jacksonville. His name was Horace Fowler.
Rod.
PS, Horace Harper was a hell of a pool player from Eatonton Ga. I don't remember if he was with them or not but he probably was.
 

Artie Bodendorfer

Verified Member
Joined
Nov 18, 2005
Messages
4,271
John Brumback said:
I'm not sure about that. I think the best way to make this shot Is to stun the cueball. Which, when done will put collision Induced throw on the object ball,making It twist and take some english off the rail.

I think there Is just different sayings to the ways people get the same point across In different parts of the country. Truman Houge calls It twisting them.
I think he would rather twist a bank than to eat.lol I shoot some shots like that and I like to call some of them,the drag shot. If hit right you can drag the ball over. John B.


Howe would you rate Buddy Halls Bank Pool game. Because I have rated him way higher then people talk about him.

What would be a even game with you and Buddy?

And Buddy and Trumand?

And Buddy and Taylor?

I rate Buddy wright under all the Champions. And If any off them gave him a ball. I would bet on Buddy.

And this is off Course every player in thier prime. And I realy cant think off two many players that could even beat Boddy Even.

But I like his game so I could have him over rated. But you are more Qualified too say.

Because you no these players and you are a good banker. And I take your opinion over mein in banks.

I realy dont see anyone that I would bet on playing Buddy Banks. Out Side Taylor Bugs John B Marvine Henderson Cannon Ball And Fargo. And thats about it.

Because buddy playes so hard he is very hard too beat. But I will her what you have too say.

Because not too many people want to give Buddy any credit howe good he realy banks.

Unless my handy cap in banks is that far off.
 

John Brumback

Verified Member
Joined
Dec 6, 2010
Messages
1,747
Artie Bodendorfer said:
Howe would you rate Buddy Halls Bank Pool game. Because I have rated him way higher then people talk about him.

What would be a even game with you and Buddy?

And Buddy and Trumand?

And Buddy and Taylor?

I rate Buddy wright under all the Champions. And If any off them gave him a ball. I would bet on Buddy.

And this is off Course every player in thier prime. And I realy cant think off two many players that could even beat Boddy Even.

But I like his game so I could have him over rated. But you are more Qualified too say.

Because you no these players and you are a good banker. And I take your opinion over mein in banks.

I realy dont see anyone that I would bet on playing Buddy Banks. Out Side Taylor Bugs John B Marvine Henderson Cannon Ball And Fargo. And thats about it.

Because buddy playes so hard he is very hard too beat. But I will her what you have too say.

Because not too many people want to give Buddy any credit howe good he realy banks.

Unless my handy cap in banks is that far off.
Artie
I know for sure that Buddy banks real good but I don't know If he's ever been considered a bankpool player. I can't think of anyone he's ever plyed a $ match with playing banks. I don't even know If he likes bankpool. So with that said..I just don't know.But like you said he's hard to beat no matter the game. I know tourny wins don't mean that much to you but has he won any bankpool events??
It's very hard to judge somebody's game when they haven't even played the game much. I could be wrong,he might be In the top few bankpool players In the world.
I would try him some giving him 9 to 8 though If he Is ever looking for a bank game. John B.
 

bstroud

Verified Member
Joined
May 29, 2010
Messages
1,426
androd said:
During the game, other players were Detroit Whitey, (He was limping around, He had a wreck at the go-cart track across the road) Canadian Pete, Johnny Vevius (SP) and a guy from W Virginia named Barfield.
The 1st shot Eddie had was a long straight back at the 8 ball frozen on the rail Eddie mashed it in on the wet table at that truck stop. After that he got a shot every game and as you said it was over pretty quickly.




You may be selling Eddie short, I remember he was getting spotted 2 points
Sammys stakehorse was the guy that owned the pool room and the numbers racket in Jacksonville. His name was Horace Fowler.
Rod.
PS, Horace Harper was a hell of a pool player from Eatonton Ga. I don't remember if he was with them or not but he probably was.
Glad someone else was there to remember. I know people make up pool stories but I don't.

I know Eddy was getting 9 points because I was in with him. We were traveling together. We really thought we had the nuts but that table was so tight.

You are correct about the stakehorse. It was Horace Fowler from Jacksonville.

Were you watching the tournament when Lefty Golf called a foul on me because my shirt touched the cue ball? Playing in the snooker I had the 5 straight in and an open 6 and 7. He won that match. Danny Jones won the snooker and I think I came in fourth or fifth.

Bill Stroud
 

Artie Bodendorfer

Verified Member
Joined
Nov 18, 2005
Messages
4,271
John Brumback said:
Artie
I know for sure that Buddy banks real good but I don't know If he's ever been considered a bankpool player. I can't think of anyone he's ever plyed a $ match with playing banks. I don't even know If he likes bankpool. So with that said..I just don't know.But like you said he's hard to beat no matter the game. I know tourny wins don't mean that much to you but has he won any bankpool events??
It's very hard to judge somebody's game when they haven't even played the game much. I could be wrong,he might be In the top few bankpool players In the world.
I would try him some giving him 9 to 8 though If he Is ever looking for a bank game. John B.

THats a kind offer 9 to 8 I guess that veravies what I said if you are willing to give him 9 to8 That means in his prime you would have played him even.

So that buts him in the class with the best. And I love Buddy Hall playing for the money. I give him a edge in that department over the other players.

9 to 8 showes a lot off respect. And tells me a lot what you think about the player and his game. Because everyone knowes Budy is not playing like he use too.

BUt FAt Boy if you see Cotton ASk him to reply on Buddy Halls bank pool game and let people no what he thinks off his game. And Cotton plays banks and likes banks. And he has been around the block once or twice.


So Fat boy if you can get cotton too reply on Buddys bank pool game I would appriciate it. And Cotton has seen Buddy play banks and seen him gamble playing banks when he could play.


And Buddy desirves his dues. And I have never seen a player put in more effort or desire too win then Buddy Hall.

And BY offereing him 9 to 8 showes me a little too much respect. Because as good as you bank John. I dont no anybody you wouldnt give 8 to 7 too.

But I just wanted to bring out that Buddy Hall is a Great banker. And when we are not around people a lot in thier life Its hard to say or no what they did.

And not playing in tournements doesnt mean anything. It showes me that people want too win big money for little money. And even it tournemets players want too get backet.

Why dont they bet thier own money. Even in the olden days tournement players didnt want too gamble with thier own money. Thier are exceptions but not too many.
 

Cowboy Dennis

Suspended
Joined
Dec 16, 2008
Messages
11,123
Tramp Steamer said:
I have been having difficulty with the short cross banks that are close to the foot rail. The nearer the rail, the more trouble I have getting the cue ball out of the way. Any tips, or suggestions would be appreciated.
TS,

Long time no see, how's tricks over on the All-Zaniness site? Do you realize that we now have a Bank Forum on this site? Steve Booth had to spend an extra $432.67 to have it blocked from appearing on SJD's computer so he wouldn't interfere in every f@@king thread like he does over here. He doesn't even know we have a Bank Forum, mum's the word.

Luckily for all of us right now his computer (desktop) has a virus so he's not been interferring too much here lately. He also has a laptop but he has to go to the nursing home to use it, they have WIFI there.

Last time he went there they tried to stop him from leaving, they thought he was a tenant and were trying to protect him.

Dennis
 

Artie Bodendorfer

Verified Member
Joined
Nov 18, 2005
Messages
4,271
androd said:
During the game, other players were Detroit Whitey, (He was limping around, He had a wreck at the go-cart track across the road) Canadian Pete, Johnny Vevius (SP) and a guy from W Virginia named Barfield.
The 1st shot Eddie had was a long straight back at the 8 ball frozen on the rail Eddie mashed it in on the wet table at that truck stop. After that he got a shot every game and as you said it was over pretty quickly.




You may be selling Eddie short, I remember he was getting spotted 2 points
Sammys stakehorse was the guy that owned the pool room and the numbers racket in Jacksonville. His name was Horace Fowler.
Rod.
PS, Horace Harper was a hell of a pool player from Eatonton Ga. I don't remember if he was with them or not but he probably was.

What happened to Harley he was part off that click?
 

Artie Bodendorfer

Verified Member
Joined
Nov 18, 2005
Messages
4,271
Cowboy Dennis said:
TS,

Long time no see, how's tricks over on the All-Zaniness site? Do you realize that we now have a Bank Forum on this site? Steve Booth had to spend an extra $432.67 to have it blocked from appearing on SJD's computer so he wouldn't interfere in every f@@king thread like he does over here. He doesn't even know we have a Bank Forum, mum's the word.

Luckily for all of us right now his computer (desktop) has a virus so he's not been interferring too much here lately. He also has a laptop but he has to go to the nursing home to use it, they have WIFI there.

Last time he went there they tried to stop him from leaving, they thought he was a tenant and were trying to protect him.

Dennis

Dennis how do you wright behind the Quote in red like you did.

I like that and I think When I try to explain my answers I can do less work by shortning what I wright too explain myself.

I dont even no if that would be ok to do. BUt it sure made everything easier. Because the wrighting in red was wright behind what was wrote.

And the reply is wright behind what was wrote. Thats exelent. But is that ok too do? And howe do you do that?

It sure would help me too wright a lot less. And get wright too the point.
 

Cowboy Dennis

Suspended
Joined
Dec 16, 2008
Messages
11,123
Artie Bodendorfer said:
Dennis how do you wright behind the Quote in red like you did. Artie, it would be very difficult to explain in words.

I like that and I think When I try to explain my answers I can do less work by shortning what I wright too explain myself.You can use many different colors though.

I dont even no if that would be ok to do. BUt it sure made everything easier. Because the wrighting in red was wright behind what was wrote. It's ok to do, no worries there.

And the reply is wright behind what was wrote. Thats exelent. But is that ok too do? And howe do you do that?Artie, you have to do it when you are making your post.

It sure would help me too wright a lot less. And get wright too the point.Artie, get someone familiar with computers to show you how to do it, I can't tell you in words. Sorry:( .
Artie,

I can't explain in words how to use the colors. Please find someone who knows computers and they could show you in five minutes what it would take me 1000 words to say and even then I may not be of any help.

P.S. Your posts are just fine, you don't need colors to write with:) .

Dennis
 

Artie Bodendorfer

Verified Member
Joined
Nov 18, 2005
Messages
4,271
Cowboy Dennis said:
Artie,

I can't explain in words how to use the colors. Please find someone who knows computers and they could show you in five minutes what it would take me 1000 words to say and even then I may not be of any help.

P.S. Your posts are just fine, you don't need colors to write with:) .

Dennis[/QUOTE

Thanks Is that because when I was a kid I had no crans. THat red is real easy for me too see.

But Your advice sounds Ok and I will stick too what Im doing.
 

Tramp Steamer

Verified Member
Joined
Dec 16, 2009
Messages
149
Cowboy Dennis said:
TS,

Long time no see, how's tricks over on the All-Zaniness site? Do you realize that we now have a Bank Forum on this site? Steve Booth had to spend an extra $432.67 to have it blocked from appearing on SJD's computer so he wouldn't interfere in every f@@king thread like he does over here. He doesn't even know we have a Bank Forum, mum's the word.

Luckily for all of us right now his computer (desktop) has a virus so he's not been interferring too much here lately. He also has a laptop but he has to go to the nursing home to use it, they have WIFI there.

Last time he went there they tried to stop him from leaving, they thought he was a tenant and were trying to protect him.

Dennis
Hey, Dennis. The Zanies have wore me slick. I've just ended a three day war over aiming systems and I need some rest. I personally am anti-aiming, believing that the old school is the best school and no pseudo-science bs is going to give you a winning stroke. Anyway, I thought I'd come over here, hang out, and try to further improve my One Pocket.
 

Tennessee Joe6

Verified Member
Joined
Jan 10, 2005
Messages
361
Artie Bodendorfer said:
Cowboy Dennis said:
Artie,

I can't explain in words how to use the colors. Please find someone who knows computers and they could show you in five minutes what it would take me 1000 words to say and even then I may not be of any help.

P.S. Your posts are just fine, you don't need colors to write with:) .

Dennis[/QUOTE

Thanks Is that because when I was a kid I had no crans. THat red is real easy for me too see.

But Your advice sounds Ok and I will stick too what Im doing.

Artie, This may help. When you type a reply to a thread---put the cursor on the word or words you want to color. Hold the left mouse button down and move it across the word. The word will change color. Release the left mouse button.

Now look at the top of the reply box and find the large letter "A". There is a triangle (down arrow)next to it. Put the curson in that triangle and press the left mouse button down--then release the button. A chart of colors will show up. Put the cursor in the color you want and press the left mouse button.

Now press the left mouse button one more time. The word COLOR will show up on both sides of what you selected. When you send the post, it will show up in color. If you want to see what it looks like before you send it---just click on the Preview Post box.


I hope this helps as much as you have helped my One Pocket game. Thanks.
 

Cowboy Dennis

Suspended
Joined
Dec 16, 2008
Messages
11,123
Tennessee Joe6 said:
Artie Bodendorfer said:
Artie, This may help. When you type a reply to a thread---put the cursor on the word or words you want to color. Hold the left mouse button down and move it across the word. The word will change color. Release the left mouse button.

Now look at the top of the reply box and find the large letter "A". There is a triangle (down arrow)next to it. Put the curson in that triangle and press the left mouse button down--then release the button. A chart of colors will show up. Put the cursor in the color you want and press the left mouse button.

Now press the left mouse button one more time. The word COLOR will show up on both sides of what you selected. When you send the post, it will show up in color. If you want to see what it looks like before you send it---just click on the Preview Post box.


I hope this helps as much as you have helped my One Pocket game. Thanks.
Joe,

I did not know that it could be done like that, thanks:) . I don't think I've ever highlighted words already posted, I've just colored the words I've written.

Dennis
 
Top