Shoot or Duck?

androd

Verified Member
From
New Braunfels tx.
Skin said:
Larry, I don't think you are likely to sell out if you build the shot a) to slightly overcut if you miss, and b) to get this fairly predictable leave.

Skin

[CUETABLE]http://CueTable.com/P/?@3GLxe1PWuj@[/CUETABLE]

SKIN, Page #1 This might be how you'd hit it to get it there. Page #2 If you slightly overcut it, @ pocket speed. Page's #3 &#4 result and possible answer. Page #5 Is my shot if I'm gambling. If I were to shoot at it, I would hit it Hard (both going 3 or 4 rails to the other end of the table) Rod. <--- mostly a gofer.
PS; I agree with everyone here a tough choice.[CUETABLE]http://CueTable.com/P/?@3GLha1PVdj4QATY4bALX3bcgB7bLhazc1kVdj4kBJX4kGrv1kYaa1kYBY@4GATY1PUGg4bATY3bcIG3bWCq3bUOb3bUnb3bTpa1kUGg4kBJW4kJEq4kPFK2qQtFthis_looks_more_like_pocket_speed.&ZZ2rHOF&ZZ@3GTpa4PPFK2qQtF&ZZ2rHGF&ZZ1sCYFthis_leaves_a_fairly_easy_bank.&ZZ@3GTpb4PPFK3bTpb3bcIK4bWbX4kPFK3kSjf3kTIm3kbxb1kBct2qQtF&ZZ2rHGF&ZZ1sCYFthis_leaves_a_fairly_easy_bank.&ZZ@4GAcW1PVUk4bAcW3bNMl3baBv1kVUk4kBJP4kHYf2qQtF&ZZ2rHGF&ZZ1sCYF&ZZ1tMEF&ZZ@[/CUETABLE]

Skin

Verified Member
androd said:
SKIN, Page #1 This might be how you'd hit it to get it there. Page #2 If you slightly overcut it, @ pocket speed. Page's #3 &#4 result and possible answer. Page #5 Is my shot if I'm gambling. If I were to shoot at it, I would hit it Hard (both going 3 or 4 rails to the other end of the table) Rod. <--- mostly a gofer.
PS; I agree with everyone here a tough choice.

Thanks, Rod. That's a good WEI booklet and your safety is strong.

I wrote in my first reply that the shot I described was about even money for me and and I would overercut more often than undercut it. Then I thought, YIKES! I better check that out and make sure.

So when I got home I set it up and shot it like I described 10 times. Made it 5 times, slightly undercut it 3 out of the 5 misses, sold out a shot (bank) only once - on an overcut. Took a supper break and shot it 10 more times. Exact same result.

I am very comfortable with me shooting it the way I said because I can win the game half the time on the shot and sell out only 10% of the time, but that is just me. A safety is a good choice, too, but you can't win on it. Any shot that will work for a guy (or gal, Fanny)...I say shoot it. Only...if it works real good, not on me! :D

Skin

Last edited:

Artie Bodendorfer

Verified Member
Skin said:
androd said:
PS; I agree with everyone here a tough choice.

I wrote in my first reply that the shot I described was about even money for me and and I would overercut more often than undercut it. Then I thought, YIKES! I better check that out and make sure.

So when I got home I set it up and shot it like I described 10 times. Made it 5 times, slightly undercut it 3 out of the 5 misses, sold out a shot (bank) only once - on an overcut. Took a supper break and shot it 10 more times. Exact same result.

I am very comfortable with me shooting it the way I said, but that is just me. I know my tendencies and limits pretty well now. Any shot that will work for a guy (or gal, Fanny)...I say shoot it that way. Only...if it works real good, not on me! :D

Skin
You can shot the ball twords your pocket. It helps to know the table. If you role it with control . THe object ball will be close to the whole and you will not leave a bank.You speed on the shot is a big factor. If you keep control of the ball he will not get a shot oh either side. Unless you miss the cut by a mile. Then THe Player you are playing doesnt figure to make the bank if you leave him a bank.

senor

Verified Member
Skin said:
A safety is a good choice, too, but you can't win on it.

Truer words were never spoken, Skin. While I agree that discretion is the better part of valor, when you have a reasonable shot to win the game, F**K all the BS and shoot. While you will feel badly if you happen to sell out, it will only hurt for a second, especially if you have the barrells to keep on playing. I was not really one to put my money on others (but hey, sometimes you get bored), but it made me sick to see my money on someone who would not shoot a shot like this to win the game. JMO.

androd

Verified Member
From
New Braunfels tx.
Skin said:

I am very comfortable with me shooting it the way I said because I can win the game half the time on the shot and sell out only 10% of the time, but that is just me. A safety is a good choice, too, but you can't win on it. Any shot that will work for a guy (or gal, Fanny)...I say shoot it. Only...if it works real good, not on me! :D

Skin

Skin, Good job, If I could handle the shot that well, I'd be shooting it also. I know Senor can make it, I've seen him do it many times. He doesn't hit it pocket speed, as for the guys that say they can lob it in, and not leave a bank if they miss, well they're lobbing dudes, and I'm doubtful. #1 I'm lucky to not miscue from here. #2 I have to use a different aim point when I shoot pocket speed, which is sorta confusing to me. As I said befure if I have to shoot it I'm gonna hit it, which would be my best shot to make it.
Rod.

One Pocket Ghost

Verified Member
From
Ghosttown
senor & Rod.........In my original analysis, I also gave a "who are you playing" variation of the situation here....

I said the safety might be a good shot, IF, you move and bank decidedly better than the guy you're playing......What do you guys do if that's the case - Still shoot the shot, or play the safety ?

- Ghost

androd

Verified Member
From
New Braunfels tx.
One Pocket Ghost said:
senor & Rod.........In my original analysis, I also gave a "who are you playing" variation of the situation here....

I said the safety might be a good shot, IF, you move and bank decidedly better than the guy you're playing......What do you guys do if that's the case - Still shoot the shot, or play the safety ?

- Ghost

Ghost, I'm so weak at the shot, I only came up with a 1/2 way lame safety. If I'm not playing high I might whack at it. Who I'm playing would have no bearing on it.
PS; No pocket speed though.
Rod.

wincardona

Verified Member
From
Dallas Tx.
Dudley said:
This is a scenario that I have always fired at my hole. I was wondering if everyone else here would also do the same thing. Most of the tables I'm playing on these days are crazy tight (around 4 ") which has allot to do with why I would bring this up.

If you did shoot at your pocket (A) how would you shoot it? Would you slow roll and aim at the thin part of the pocket in order to not sell a bank? Or would you play a firmer speed in order to guarantee that the ball rolled true and was a comfortable stroke. In my pool experience spot shots haven't been a common thing--especially frozen on the rail.

Maybe some would play safe from this spot but I would have a hard time justifying it.

Dudley

[CUETABLE]http://CueTable.com/P/?@3AYXX3BWDY3CTiY4DOTY3ELyY3FRNY4GALY4HLiW4IQwY4JJFY4KWDY4LTaY4MYXY3NJNY3OOkY1PVUk3QcIs@[/CUETABLE]
This is the kind of a shot that I would shoot, even though a voice in my head woud be telling me to duck. But then another voice would say, " Billy you can win here, but you must slowwwww roll this shot :eek: and slightly overcut it" ;)

senor

Verified Member
One Pocket Ghost said:

- Ghost

That's a good point Ghost. I would say that as a general rule I played looser against weaker players, just because I might lose good action if I were to never let them shoot at their hole, or shoot shots that would give them an opportunity to shoot if I had missed.

Maybe my view on this will change one day, but I cannot see talking myself into playing safe on this shot no matter who I'm playing. The less you're at the table the more your opponent can win. If you bunt from here, it might be four innings before you have a chance to shoot, if your opponent sells out a two railer or something along those lines.

Did anyone here play basketball growing up? The spot shot is a free throw. 90% and above success rate is exceptional, in between 80-90% is achievable, below 80% is unacceptable. If someone has a problem shooting spot shots, it should be addressed.

Last edited:

wincardona

Verified Member
From
Dallas Tx.
wincardona said:
This is the kind of a shot that I would shoot, even though a voice in my head woud be telling me to duck. But then another voice would say, " Billy you can win here, but you must slowwwww roll this shot :eek: and slightly overcut it" ;)

Agood way to look at this shot is to try to shoot this shot so the cue ball barely reaches the foot rail. Set up this shot and practice shooting it this way 4 or 5 times. After this short session, you may have developed another shot into your arsenal, and now you are familiar with a another winning shot.

Dudley

Verified Member
From
San Jose, CA
So my impression of this shot no matter how you choose to shoot it is:

Don't hit it fat!

Shoot it at a comfortable pace (whatever that is for you) and you probably won't sell out.

Right?

Doright

NH Steve

Administrator
From
New Hampshire
senor said:
That's a good point Ghost. I would say that as a general rule I played looser against weaker players, just because I might lose good action if I were to never let them shoot at their hole, or shoot shots that would give them an opportunity to shoot if I had missed.

Maybe my view on this will change one day, but I cannot see talking myself into playing safe on this shot no matter who I'm playing. The less you're at the table the more your opponent can win. If you bunt from here, it might be four innings before you have a chance to shoot, if your opponent sells out a two railer or something along those lines.

Did anyone here play basketball growing up? The spot shot is a free throw. 90% and above success rate is exceptional, in between 80-90% is achievable, below 80% is unacceptable. If someone has a problem shooting spot shots, it should be addressed.
Senor, the trouble with shooting this shot against a weaker opponent for cash, is you might make the shot -- and their goes your action, lol. Because they are much more likely to judge you on displays of offense than on defense, don't you think? Now what do you do :D :D ??

senor

Verified Member
NH Steve said:
Senor, the trouble with shooting this shot against a weaker opponent for cash, is you might make the shot -- and their goes your action, lol. Because they are much more likely to judge you on displays of offense than on defense, don't you think? Now what do you do :D :D ??

Haha, I see what you're saying, but the weaker players I used to play knew what they were getting into. I still feel like it's my job to make sure they have a good time, which means shoot a lot and give them chances to win or what may seem like chances to win. If they aren't having a good time, they definitely won't come back.

Tennessee Joe6

Verified Member
From
Middle Tennessee
Practice this shot the night before you know it's going to come up. This will increase your probabilities. LOL

But what it really comes down to are the conditions: table roll, quality cueball, how you have been shooting that day, who you are playing, etc.---then make the decision on the good options described in this thread.

The player who shoots this shot the same way all the time is probably not taking advantage of all of his/her talents.

Last edited: