shane /gentile 72635

Billy Jackets

Verified Member
If someone already mentioned this, I apologise, I didn't see it.
One thing I see a lot of otherwise good players, make a huge mistake on, is how important those balls are that are near Shanes pocket , whether they go or not!
Protecting those balls by his hole is of utmost importance, if he is going to have any chance in this game being down in the ball count.
The last thing he wants to do is take a risky shot , that even if he makes it, {which he probably would } doesn't guarantee any more than 1 ball, and missing, either loses outright, or allows your opponent to take balls away from your pocket.
I liked Billy I's shot, except if you hit it and get a little lucky and put a ball in front of the hole he can't get out , you might force him to shoot the shot that beats you! Probably the 14
Any great player put in that position will make the shot about 90% of the time, because they know if they miss , it's probably over.
I know most of us movers, want the opponent to shoot at the flyers we leave, but I have learned that sometimes it's better to leave them no shot at all , than force them to make a great shot.{They always seem to make it!}
My nickels worth {inflation}.

Last edited:

sappo

Verified Member
From
Tucson AZ
I may be totally wrong here but it seems to me you would not have to hit the 6 ball that hard to get the cue ball to get to the 3 ball and 10 ball. it appears that just a soft roll with high ball would leave the 6 ball close to the pocket/bottom rail and you could easily get the cue ball to its goal. someone with a table at home please try this. thanks keith

lll

Verified Member
From
vero beach fl
Does anyone know who won this game?

what difference does it make??
if shane won chris could have done something bonehead later which has nothing to do with this shot
if chris won he was up 5-0 he was supposed to win if he played smart
so why do you want to know??
just curious..:)

Mkbtank

Verified Member
From
Philly Pa
shane /gentile 72635

if shane won chris could have done something bonehead later which has nothing to do with this shot
if chris won he was up 5-0 he was supposed to win if he played smart
so why do you want to know??
just curious..:)

Because if Shane didn't win, then not shooting the 8 ball when he had the chance did not help him in this case. And yes, I know it's a % thing, but down 5-0 to a guy who plays as tight as Chris... I still may have shot the 8. That's why :).

Cowboy Dennis

Verified Member
From
Detroit,Michigan
Does anyone know who won this game?

Because if Shane didn't win, then not shooting the 8 ball when he had the chance did not help him in this case. And yes, I know it's a % thing, but down 5-0 to a guy who plays as tight as Chris... I still may have shot the 8. That's why :).

I know who won it and how every shot of the match went but Larry told me he'd force me to drink Annie Green Springs for a week if I revealed it:p.

RBL

Miller

Verified Member
From
East St. Louis Area
i didn't realize the general consensus of gentile's M.O. was playing tight (sure, he's from chicago, but we all have our faults......:p)

go tell lou he plays "tight".....saw him hit what any mortal would have seen as a gofer at DCC 3-4 years ago - the danny diliberto backwards 4 railer and run out....

:)

Frank Almanza

Verified Member
From
Upland, California

I'm in your camp on this one too. I would like to know. The shot on the eight is well within his range for a high percentage. Not too much cut, cue ball off the rail to allow a good bridge. And if missed, it looks like there is a good chance of not selling out. With the score as it was I'm pretty sure I would shoot at the eight.
Maybe on that day he just didn't feel right about the eight. When I lose a game I try not to second guess myself on decisions I made earlier. If I pass on something like the eight I usually have a reason. In this case only he knows.

Mkbtank

Verified Member
From
Philly Pa
shane /gentile 72635

I'm in your camp on this one too. I would like to know. The shot on the eight is well within his range for a high percentage. Not too much cut, cue ball off the rail to allow a good bridge. And if missed, it looks like there is a good chance of not selling out. With the score as it was I'm pretty sure I would shoot at the eight.

Maybe on that day he just didn't feel right about the eight. When I lose a game I try not to second guess myself on decisions I made earlier. If I pass on something like the eight I usually have a reason. In this case only he knows.

Thanks Frank. I agree. I'm not saying that NOT to shoot the 8 and to choose a move was wrong. Just that it's not as clear cut as stated.

lll

Verified Member
From
vero beach fl
ok mitch and frank
i have several sequences of shots to show what went down
so let me finish posting all of it before those of you up early and on the site offer opinions,,,,,,:D
chis thinned the 3 hit the rail and put shane back where he started
shane took a foul
leaving chris to shoot
sc11.jpg

sc10.jpg

lll

Verified Member
From
vero beach fl
chris made a bonehead shot with the 8
maybe he was trying to clear the 4? with the 8 but missed it
sc16.jpg

lll

Verified Member
From
vero beach fl
shane banked the 8
got shape on the 6
tried to go 2 rails to the 4?
but hooked himself behind the 13
sc20.jpg

sc22.jpg

lll

Verified Member
From
vero beach fl
shane went for the combo
missed it
he owed one so the 8 got spotted
chris cut the stripe in made the 15 and 8 and won the game
sc24.jpg

lll

Verified Member
From
vero beach fl
so shane had a chance to win (or at least get back into the game )
INSPITE OF NOT SHOOTING THE 8....:D
down 5-0 i think i would have been tempted to shoot the 8 too
but now i understand the logic of resisting betting the game on one shot
ok guys
the floor is yours
open for discussion,,,:)

Last edited:

Mkbtank

Verified Member
From
Philly Pa
shane /gentile 72635

so shane had a chance to win (or at least get back into the game )
INSPITE OF NOT SHOOTING THE 8....:D
down 5-0 i think i would have been tempted to shoot the 8 too
but now i understand the logic of resisting betting the game on one shot
ok guys
the floor is yours
open for discussion,,,:)

I'm good. There are points on both sides. I think it comes back to both percentages, and what Rob said. Depends how you are feeling about your shooting at the moment. With that layout, if you squeeze, there is a chance for more chances later in the game. If you're feeling strong.. There's an opportunity now. (Now being at when this wwyd began lol). Great one Larry!! Thanks.

lll

Verified Member
From
vero beach fl
I'm good. There are points on both sides. I think it comes back to both percentages, and what Rob said. Depends how you are feeling about your shooting at the moment. With that layout, if you squeeze, there is a chance for more chances later in the game. If you're feeling strong.. There's an opportunity now. (Now being at when this wwyd began lol). Great one Larry!! Thanks.

Larry, very good WWYD. And it was nice of you to go the extra mile with posting out the picture sequence. Cheers!

~Doc

thanks guys
doc thats what friends are for......:)