Shaking Hands After A Match

KindlyOleUncleDave

Verified Member
of note

of note

A lot of money sessions I've watched had no chance of the players shaking hands after it was decided. Probably a pretty good majority of them.

However, if it is made available to everyone to watch (live, delayed, recorded or streamed on the internet) a handshake should be standard. Even one of those perfunctory 'no contacters', goes a long way towards making it look like a legitimate sport to those who might still have their doubts. Save the hard looks and left hooks for off-camera.

Sponsors, room owners, potential league players, etc. would likely be more apt to get involved if they could count on at least a veneer of civility at the end of the festivities. Newspapers might even start covering the sport like they did a hundred years ago. A little Three Cushion mentioned here, I'm not sure One Pocket was around in it's current form when some of this was written.

http://query.nytimes.com/mem/archive-free/pdf?res=F00812F73E5D147A93C2AA178BD95F4C8185F9

http://query.nytimes.com/mem/archive-free/pdf?res=F50D11F73E5D147A93C3A9178AD95F4C8185F9

http://query.nytimes.com/mem/archive-free/pdf?res=F20D1EF8345E10738DDDA10894DA405B8184F0D3

http://query.nytimes.com/mem/archive-free/pdf?res=F50F1FFB385F13738DDDAA0A94DA405B838DF1D3

The Civil War wasn't the only thing going on in 1862:

For folks who would like to smell the cordite of the old days ....

see http://charlesursitti.com/

Thanks Mr. Ursitti.

In 1918 Greenleaf was 19 years old. In 1919 he won the World Title shortly after his 20th birthday. In those times the playing field was 5'x10' and covered with green baise which, speed-wise, was a close relative of rubber-backed bar cloth that has been sprayed with beer prior to the start of play.

tucson9ball

Verified Member
From
Tucson Arizona
Let me start by saying this; If an opponent walked up to me after a match, whether he beat me or I beat him, and extended his hand to me, I would not refuse to shake his hand no matter how stupid I thought he was.

I will say this; If you beat me or I beat you I will not walk up to you and extend my hand, forcing you to shake it or be a jerk for refusing. The only thing my hand will be doing is holding a coin whilst I get ready to flip it and telling you to call it for the next set.

To be clear; I don't want to shake your hand if I lost nor if I won. All I want to do is play another set.

To each his own.

Dennis

In the OP, there is no mention of this being a money match or tournament. from all the replies it appears that it mainly refers to after the John/Ghost match?

Anyhoo, this is my take.....in a tourney I always shake hands or at least make the option available. Some guys don't want to shake after they lose, their option I suppose.

In money matches it varies....if it's just a local player and we are just playing for cheap, we usually shake afterwards. We know we will play again.
If I play some wannabe road player and he wants to try and high roll me, but ends up losing, well, handshakes don't always happen. Once again, I don't have any problem shaking but some guys don't shake. No biggie....

Of course, I've never played for thousands of dollars either, that might make a difference....

Cowboy Dennis

Verified Member
From
Detroit,Michigan
Let me start by saying this; If an opponent walked up to me after a match, whether he beat me or I beat him, and extended his hand to me, I would not refuse to shake his hand no matter how stupid I thought he was.

I will say this; If you beat me or I beat you I will not walk up to you and extend my hand, forcing you to shake it or be a jerk for refusing. The only thing my hand will be doing is holding a coin whilst I get ready to flip it and telling you to call it for the next set.

To be clear; I don't want to shake your hand if I lost nor if I won. All I want to do is play another set.

To each his own.

Dennis

In the OP, there is no mention of this being a money match or tournament. from all the replies it appears that it mainly refers to after the John/Ghost match?

Anyhoo, this is my take.....in a tourney I always shake hands or at least make the option available. Some guys don't want to shake after they lose, their option I suppose.

In money matches it varies....if it's just a local player and we are just playing for cheap, we usually shake afterwards. We know we will play again.
If I play some wannabe road player and he wants to try and high roll me, but ends up losing, well, handshakes don't always happen. Once again, I don't have any problem shaking but some guys don't shake. No biggie....

Of course, I've never played for thousands of dollars either, that might make a difference....

It mainly refers to how I feel about me shaking hands after a match. It's got nothing to do with anybody else.

Dennis

piggybank04

Verified Member
i rarely shake hands after money games--tournaments are a different story, usually its cordial, but as we all know, pool players can be big crybabies, and occasionally you get some punk that cant handle losing--i just send them back to mommys basement so they can suck their thumb.......

Scrzbill

Verified Member
From
Eagles Rest, Wa

You are comparing apples and oranges. Tournaments and gambling are two different animals. When both are over, win or lose, I shake, sometimes uncontrollably. I found for myself, shaking hands with someone, is the upper road.

tucson9ball

Verified Member
From
Tucson Arizona
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cowboy Dennis

To each his own.

Dennis

Quote:
Originally Posted by tucson9ball

It mainly refers to how I feel about me shaking hands after a match. It's got nothing to do with anybody else.

Dennis

Alrighty....don't get your panties in a bunch...if we ever play you don't have to shake, deal?

Cowboy Dennis

Verified Member
From
Detroit,Michigan
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cowboy Dennis

To each his own.

Dennis

Quote:
Originally Posted by tucson9ball

Dennis

Alrighty....don't get your panties in a bunch...if we ever play you don't have to shake, deal?

If we ever played it clearly wouldn't do any good to write down the agreed upon rules.

Nice double-quote job.

Cowboy Dennis

Verified Member
From
Detroit,Michigan

You are comparing apples and oranges. Tournaments and gambling are two different animals. When both are over, win or lose, I shake, sometimes uncontrollably. I found for myself, shaking hands with someone, is the upper road.

I started the thread, I'll compare whatever I want if that's O.K. with you and even if it's not O.K. with you.

I guess this is just your way of saying that you are better than a man who doesn't shake hands, after all, you take the upper road. I suppose you call fouls on yourself too. You will go to heaven.

Scrzbill

Verified Member
From
Eagles Rest, Wa
I started the thread, I'll compare whatever I want if that's O.K. with you and even if it's not O.K. with you.

I guess this is just your way of saying that you are better than a man who doesn't shake hands, after all, you take the upper road. I suppose you call fouls on yourself too. You will go to heaven.

I don't believe in heaven or hell. Just a bunch of religious gibberish for the weak and controlling.
What does it feel like to be bitter, selfish, indulgent?
Where did I say I was the better man? But thanks for saying it for me, Dennis. I know from your musings how much you truly despise people that have honor, like those who call fouls on themselves.
It is people that refuse to have honor that keep pool from gaining respectability. Scum bags who think cheating, scamming, manipulating a sucker for a score means more than having self respect.
Dollars over respectability.
Lets pretend this is the end of a match, would I put out my hand to you?

petie

Verified Member
From
Citrus Springs, FL
I don't believe in heaven or hell. Just a bunch of religious gibberish for the weak and controlling.
What does it feel like to be bitter, selfish, indulgent?
Where did I say I was the better man? But thanks for saying it for me, Dennis. I know from your musings how much you truly despise people that have honor, like those who call fouls on themselves.
It is people that refuse to have honor that keep pool from gaining respectability. Scum bags who think cheating, scamming, manipulating a sucker for a score means more than having self respect.

It doesn't cost a penny to shake hands.

Cowboy Dennis

Verified Member
From
Detroit,Michigan

What does it feel like to be bitter, selfish, indulgent?I'm not certain but I think it would be a lot like being like you.

Where did I say I was the better man?When you said you take the upper road you automatically put everyone else on the lower road if they don't believe what you believe. But thanks for saying it for me, Dennis.

I know from your musings how much you truly despise people that have honor, like those who call fouls on themselves.In this thread there are 12 members who say they would call a foul on themselves, for various reasons, sometimes having to do with keeping a customer. There are 12 members who say they wouldn't call a foul on themselves, also for various reasons. There are 9 members who are too wishy-washy to give a straight, unambiguous answer.This is the thread: http://www.onepocket.org/forum/showthread.php?t=5095

Runnin' a little low on meds eh Bill? You truly think you are better than everybody who disagrees with you on any topic yet you constantly accuse others of the same thing.

Patrick Johnson

Verified Member
Obviously, a Real Man wouldn't risk his Real Manhood for a handshake (maybe in the parking lot out of sight of other Real Men).

pj <- really really real, man
chgo

Jerry Terry

Re: Shaking Hands After A Match

No one shakes hands in gambling matches. Tournament play only.

Island Drive

Verified Member
From
florence, colorado
Example

Example

Before the start of match play, before the lag, yes, after the match....depends on what transpired. No simple answer....tho generally 99%+ of the time Nope. I did shake Effies hand after a spanking once twenty years ago.

wincardona

Verified Member
From
Dallas Tx.
I didn't comment on this in the other thread but I will offer my take on the "hand shake" in money matches here.

I feel that playing for money things are placed on a more personal level. There's more "ego" involved in money matches then there are in tournament matches simply because in money matches the players decide what the game is and what type of a spot is involved, if any. With this understanding (imo) it would be hard for me to shake the winners hand if I lost the match feeling that it would be a form of conceding, so i'll let the "hand shake" slide, and like Bill and Dennis said look to play another match.

If I was the winner I wouldn't want to shake my opponents hand because to me that is some what humiliating to my opponent, and I wouldn't want to do anything to deter him from playing another match.

The above are my true feelings about shaking hands in a money match, as ludicrous as it may sound to some to me it doesn't.:sorry

Bill Incardona

fred bentivegna

Verified Member
From
chicago illinois
At the old Bensinger's, shaking hands was mandatory after every match. Lifetime banishment was the penalty for not adhering to the room policy.

Beard

(And if you believe that, you would believe that you can keep your doctor and your old health insurance policy.:D)

tylerdurden

Verified Member
The above are my true feelings about shaking hands in a money match, as ludicrous as it may sound to some to me it doesn't.:sorry

Bill Incardona

You don't want to jam your hand into somebody's face, just after having beaten them! :D

What you said all sounds perfectly reasonable to me. I could not agree more.

jrhendy

Verified Member
From
Placerville, CA
I didn't comment on this in the other thread but I will offer my take on the "hand shake" in money matches here.

I feel that playing for money things are placed on a more personal level. There's more "ego" involved in money matches then there are in tournament matches simply because in money matches the players decide what the game is and what type of a spot is involved, if any. With this understanding (imo) it would be hard for me to shake the winners hand if I lost the match feeling that it would be a form of conceding, so i'll let the "hand shake" slide, and like Bill and Dennis said look to play another match.

If I was the winner I wouldn't want to shake my opponents hand because to me that is some what humiliating to my opponent, and I wouldn't want to do anything to deter him from playing another match.

Bill Incardona

Not trying to stir anything up here :heh, but according to The Ghost, he called you and here was your reply:

Ya know, just to put yet another reality check up here...I talked to Dr. Billy on the phone today...and since he's watched and gambled on a zillion different sporting matches in his day...but more to the point, he's commentated on, and played in a many, many hundreds of serious $$$ pool matches in his 50 years in the pool world...so based on his voluminous experience (not to mention his own personal solid grasp of right and wrong) I asked him to tell me who traditionally should, and does, initiate the shaking of hands after a serious athletic match concludes, the winner or the loser..and his unbiased (unlike some John-lovers on here), reality based answer was...

The winner..period.

Since this is where this all started, I thought I should explain again, I looked for the Ghost and would have shook his hand because I thought it was appropriate under the circumstances, but I could not find him.

I would have shook it if I lost too, but that is just me, even if I was churning inside as he surely was.