Seniors and Super Seniors Tournaments

stevelomako

Verified Member
From
Detroit, MI
We all know the clocks ticking and you guys are closer to end than the beginning :( and you all had so much fun at the tournament and a year is a long time the older you get...how about this idea.

Stagger a Seniors One Pocket and the Super Seniors One Pocket about 6 months apart.

I would love to set up a Seniors event (I can't even play for years) and have it where the Super Seniors only paid half the entry if they chose to play and the top 2 out of the money got paid.

It really seemed like it was more about the getting together than totally about the tournament and this might be another way to do it.

Since there's so many good players over 60 y/o some of the guys might not want to play but half the entry to play Parica, Efren, Melrose, Wiseman, Ghost, Ike, Hopkins, Varner, etc etc might entice some of them to get together twice a year.

I'm out of town but when I get back home I'm going to start checking on it.

Let me know what you think.

LSJohn

Verified Member
From
monett missouri
We all know the clocks ticking and you guys are closer to end than the beginning :( and you all had so much fun at the tournament and a year is a long time the older you get...how about this idea.

Stagger a Seniors One Pocket and the Super Seniors One Pocket about 6 months apart.

I would love to set up a Seniors event (I can't even play for years) and have it where the Super Seniors only paid half the entry if they chose to play and the top 2 out of the money got paid.

It really seemed like it was more about the getting together than totally about the tournament and this might be another way to do it.

Since there's so many good players over 60 y/o some of the guys might not want to play but half the entry to play Parica, Efren, Melrose, Wiseman, Ghost, Ike, Hopkins, Varner, etc etc might entice some of them to get together twice a year.

One vote for Hell yeah!

Scrzbill

Verified Member
From
Eagles Rest, Wa
Seniors tournament around the country is a good idea with the top four qualifying for a Seniors Tournament>final 16.
About going and meeting everyone, yes that is true of all tournaments, but when these guys hit the blue cloth, it was a war.
Since I just turned a senior, while in my luxury suite, I am all for it.:lol:lol

LSJohn

Verified Member
From
monett missouri
Nice playing you John but slipping something into my food because I broke even with you was unnecessary. I owe you one:eek::eek::eek:

Hey, you're gonna have to look elsewhere, Bub. I have an unassailable defense: When I break even with someone, I call all my ex wives to brag. :p

gulfportdoc

Verified Member
From
Gulfport, Mississippi

I'd have to check his I.D., but presumably Rob is not more than 45. He'd sure love to be able to play against the seniors, though!:D

~Doc

One Pocket Ghost

Verified Member
From
Ghosttown

Brother Steve...2 things...

#1. I would say seniors tournaments = 65 and older...and...

#2. My name sure as hell don't belong in the middle of those killers that you listed - are you about to ask me for a loan or something..:eek:..:heh...:D

stevelomako

Verified Member
From
Detroit, MI
Brother Steve...2 things...

#1. I would say seniors tournaments = 65 and older...and...

#2. My name sure as hell don't belong in the middle of those killers that you listed - are you about to ask me for a loan or something..:eek:..:heh...:D

Allahu Ghost!

Need I say more brother?

One pocket Smitty

Verified Member
From
Chandler, Tx.
You know when I first read the post wanting to make a Senior and a Super Senior Tournament I thought hey that would be good. But after reading some post and thinking it over, to the guys that were not there, it was a very special event. I don't think we should mess with it. Do it again just like the last one, if you start making different age groups it will work itself into a venue so big that we couldn't hold it at one place and that was what was so special about this event. We played practice rounds with each other, sat around telling and listening to stories, it was great. My vote is to hold the same format again at Bogies next year with the same age requirement.---Smitty

stevelomako

Verified Member
From
Detroit, MI
You know when I first read the post wanting to make a Senior and a Super Senior Tournament I thought hey that would be good. But after reading some post and thinking it over, to the guys that were not there, it was a very special event. I don't think we should mess with it. Do it again just like the last one, if you start making different age groups it will work itself into a venue so big that we couldn't hold it at one place and that was what was so special about this event. We played practice rounds with each other, sat around telling and listening to stories, it was great. My vote is to hold the same format again at Bogies next year with the same age requirement.---Smitty

Soooo, you don't think there should be a different tournament at a different time for the younger crowd???

Scrzbill

Verified Member
From
Eagles Rest, Wa

I must warn everyone, Rodeway Inn was hit by a nuclear meltdown and should be considered off limits for next years tournament. :cool:

gulfportdoc

Verified Member
From
Gulfport, Mississippi
You're a wise man, Harold. I agree with your points. The event has just gotten off the ground, and people are wanting to make changes.:rolleyes: The event was successful, and it has a good chance to endure and improve. I'd advise letting it build for a couple of years, and see what happens. It's always alluring to make changes; but not so easy to change back if things go awry.

~Doc

Island Drive

Verified Member
From
florence, colorado
Seniors tournament around the country is a good idea with the top four qualifying for a Seniors Tournament>final 16.
About going and meeting everyone, yes that is true of all tournaments, but when these guys hit the blue cloth, it was a war.
Since I just turned a senior, while in my luxury suite, I am all for it.:lol:lol

We also could teach the kids somethin' about manners.:cool:

LSJohn

Verified Member
From
monett missouri
You're a wise man, Harold. I agree with your points. The event has just gotten off the ground, and people are wanting to make changes.:rolleyes: The event was successful, and it has a good chance to endure and improve. I'd advise letting it build for a couple of years, and see what happens. It's always alluring to make changes; but not so easy to change back if things go awry.

~Doc

Smitty and Doc... I stand corrected. You're looking deeper than I did, and I believe you came to the right answer.

Island Drive

Verified Member
From
florence, colorado

~Doc

Since I'm older than 65....all I gotta say, I thought 70 and above limited the field, as many of us just don't live that long or are healthy by then. Lowering it to 65 will also help the venue immensely with a Huge increase in player numbers. Pros pay dbl entry sounds realistic, it would be fun having them, and they too will help the venue.

Many over 65 finally have the time, and that too will help thee event. I also think the venue should be next to the Train and in the center of the country if it outgrows Bogies. I hate airports, jumpin on a train with a cue is nothing.

Last edited:

jrhendy

Verified Member
From
Placerville, CA
Since I'm older than 65....all I gotta say, I though 70 and above limited the field, as many of us just don't live that long or are healthy by then. Lowering it to 65 will also help the venue immensely with a Huge increase in player numbers. Pros pay dbl entry sounds realistic, it would be fun having them, and they too will help the venue.

Many over 65 finally have the time, and that too will help thee event. I also think the venue should be next to the Train and in the center of the country if it outgrows Bogies. I hate airports, jumpin on a train with a cue is nothing.

Maybe the success of this tournament will inspire another room to have a tournament including 65 and over with more players, BUT this tournament, The Super Seniors One Pocket Classic, belongs to Bogies as long as they want it as far as I am concerned. They were terrific hosts and the smaller number of players allowed us plenty of time to get together and make new friends and visit with old ones.