Senior Pool Tournament: One-Pocket?

jmorton

I did a Google search and it didn't pop right up so I'll ask here: in the 50 and over Senior Pool Tournament is there a One-Pocket event?

By the way, where is it held and who puts it on and is it just one annual tournament, etc.

Thanks.

JM :)
________
About69

Last edited:

hemicudas

Verified Member
From
Jackson, Miss.
jmorton said:
I did a Google search and it didn't pop right up so I'll ask here: in the 50 and over Senior Pool Tournament is there a One-Pocket event?

By the way, where is it held and who puts it on and is it just one annual tournament, etc.

Thanks.

JM :)

I don't think there is one but,,,,,,,,,,e-gads,,,,,,,,Keith can now play in it if there is one. Man am I getting old.

gulfportdoc

Verified Member
From
Gulfport, Mississippi
jmorton said:

JM, there hasn't been a senior tour since Steve Mizerak died. There were several events a year in the late '90s, and even one event annually into the early 2000's. But they have fizzled. However, the interest is there. Mark Griffin has mentioned holding some senior events. Grady is currently too busy with his new room. But when he gets going strong, he's stated that he'll be holding some senior events. I think it would be a natural for Billy Incardona as well; or even Jay Helfert.

In my view, 50 is too young these days. Too many 50-year-olds still play top quality. I'd rather see 55 & up. I believe that guys from all over would come out of the woodwork for these events.

Doc

jrhendy

Verified Member
From
Placerville, CA
gulfportdoc said:
JM, there hasn't been a senior tour since Steve Mizerak died. There were several events a year in the late '90s, and even one event annually into the early 2000's. But they have fizzled. However, the interest is there. Mark Griffin has mentioned holding some senior events. Grady is currently too busy with his new room. But when he gets going strong, he's stated that he'll be holding some senior events. I think it would be a natural for Billy Incardona as well; or even Jay Helfert.

In my view, 50 is too young these days. Too many 50-year-olds still play top quality. I'd rather see 55 & up. I believe that guys from all over would come out of the woodwork for these events.

Doc

How about 67 and up, or at least 65. Gives us old geezers a chance.

Smorgass Bored

Verified Member
From
Tampa
gulfportdoc said:

Doc

I agree, Doc. Please line up something that requires you to be exactly 62 years old and over 300 lbs......... and drinks alcohol. :eek:
Doug ( then call ME ) :)

gulfportdoc

Verified Member
From
Gulfport, Mississippi
Smorgass Bored said:
I agree, Doc. Please line up something that requires you to be exactly 62 years old and over 300 lbs......... and drinks alcohol. :eek:
Doug ( then call ME ) :)
I suppose it would have to be played on Gabriels tables, too!;)

Doc

gulfportdoc

Verified Member
From
Gulfport, Mississippi
jrhendy said:
How about 67 and up, or at least 65. Gives us old geezers a chance.
Shoot, you'd do fine in a 50-and-up, you old tree shaker, you. Since I'm 63, I'd like a super seniors: 60 & up. Won't happen, though. I remember a couple of decades ago when they tried that in golf, so they could get Sam Snead, and a few other legends. I don't know if it made it past one season...:(

Doc

suki

Verified Member
From
Santa Cruz, Ca.
Seniors?

Seniors?

gulfportdoc said:
Shoot, you'd do fine in a 50-and-up, you old tree shaker, you. Since I'm 63, I'd like a super seniors: 60 & up. Won't happen, though. I remember a couple of decades ago when they tried that in golf, so they could get Sam Snead, and a few other legends. I don't know if it made it past one season...:(

Doc
Seniors should be 65 and older period. Pool is a lifetime sport and there are still too many champions at 50. When you last and play at 65, that is an accomplishment. Of course I am prejudice cause I now am over 65.

hemicudas

Verified Member
From
Jackson, Miss.
Closer

Closer

Cal said:
Im 65, but my vote is 62 & up 50 is way too young:)

You guys are getting closer to the correct #. 60 is the #. Now, I want all you guys to wish me a happy 60th birthday next month.

yobagua

Hold on. AARP lets you become a member at 55 and you can play in the World Series of Poker Seniors event at 60. I say 60 is pretty good. If youve lived till then spending most of your time in a pool hall you should qualify.

One Pocket Ghost

Verified Member
From
Ghosttown
>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>60<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>60<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<

yobagua said:
Hold on. AARP lets you become a member at 55 and you can play in the World Series of Poker Seniors event at 60. I say 60 is pretty good. If youve lived till then spending most of your time in a pool hall you should qualify.

I agree, I think 60 is the right number.

suki

Verified Member
From
Santa Cruz, Ca.
O.k.

O.k.

I will agree to 60 but on a condition. For every 5 years difference in age(younger) you have to spot the older a ball. Now that sounds fair. NO? lol:D

One Pocket Ghost

Verified Member
From
Ghosttown
suki said:
I will agree to 60 but on a condition. For every 5 years difference in age(younger) you have to spot the older a ball. Now that sounds fair. NO? lol:D

Well let's see now....if I do agree to this, I'm not going to play any 100 yr. olds, cuz I would have to spot them 8 balls, meaning if they can just make it over to the table with a stick in their hand I automatically lose - and I'm sure somebody would steer some ambulatory 100 yr. old at me........Now I'm trying to decide if I can give up 8 to 2 to a 90 yr. old or not - yeah, I guess I might give that game a try..........^_^

......and the favorite at any tournament with that handicapping system might be Marshall 'Squirrel' Carpenter...he's over 80, and I don't think any 60 yr. olds would be the favorite giving Squirrel 8 to 4.

Last edited:

jrhendy

Verified Member
From
Placerville, CA
One Pocket Ghost said:
Well let's see now....if I do agree to this, I'm not going to play any 100 yr. olds, cuz I would have to spot them 8 balls, meaning if they can just make it over to the table with a stick in their hand I automatically lose - and I'm sure somebody would steer some ambulatory 100 yr. old at me........Now I'm trying to decide if I can give up 8 to 2 to a 90 yr. old or not - yeah, I guess I might give that game a try..........^_^

......and the favorite at any tournament with that handicapping system might be Marshall 'Squirrel' Carpenter...he's over 80, and I don't think any 60 yr. olds would be the favorite giving Squirrel 8 to 4.

Lets see, I'm 68, so you should give me a ball and a half. That's just about what the break is worth, so I get all the breaks. I might just pay for that plane ticket the next time you are out here if I get that game.

suki

Verified Member
From
Santa Cruz, Ca.
No no Ghost

No no Ghost

One Pocket Ghost said:

I am realatively sure you are not sixty, but I could be wrong. Are you hustling again? lol

One Pocket Ghost

Verified Member
From
Ghosttown
jrhendy said:
Lets see, I'm 68, so you should give me a ball and a half. That's just about what the break is worth, so I get all the breaks. I might just pay for that plane ticket the next time you are out here if I get that game.

Sure John, what the hell, I'll give you all the breaks...for $5.00 a game, and $20.00 is my loss-limit......^_^

One Pocket Ghost

Verified Member
From
Ghosttown
suki said:
I am realatively sure you are not sixty, but I could be wrong. Are you hustling again? lol

Well, I've got a bunch of id-cards, so's I can adjust my age as necessary - just kidding....^_^....And come'on now, don't be calling me that h word again - my mother reads these posts, and you're going to make her cry.........^_^

SJDinPHX

Suspended
reply to all other old geezers

reply to all other old geezers

A ball spot for every five years might bring me out of my self imposed
retirement with one exception. My lifelong nemesis,Ronnie Allen, would
have to make it a little sweeter as I believe he is around 68 so I would
only have him by 5 yrs. My D.O.B. Is Sept.24,1934. I Tried to play him
9 to 8 like we have been see-sawing at for the last few decades or so
and he beat my brains out. That was a few years ago though, and if he
promises me he's not playing too well I may try him again. He's never
lied to anyone has he ?????