Scott Frost vs Alex Pagulayan Fight Night

onepockethacker

Verified Member
The poor guy can't get staked anymore against the good young guys.

His time has come like all of us sooner or later.

He's still up there once in a while but for all intents and purposes he's done at the top.

They have been saying that for 10 years LOL.. Its just odd that for the last 25 years every time there is big money put up Efren somehow gets the cheese. For $ 5000 these guys might beat him. If someone put up some real money to get Efren motivated for one last hurrah I think he would practice get in gear and turn back the clock one more time

lll

Verified Member
From
vero beach fl
By the way... until one of these guys beat efren in a big set like this.. $ 20,000 to $ 25,000 per man He is still the best on the planet

The poor guy can't get staked anymore against the good young guys.

His time has come like all of us sooner or later.

He's still up there once in a while but for all intents and purposes he's done at the top.

rob
i dont know if efren has the staying power of long matches or the eyes to make those long tough shots anymore
watching him play frost after hours at smokin aces it seems at times he was hesitant to pull the trigger on some long tough shots (which in the past he would shoot and make in a heart beat) and played a higher percentage safe instead
he still is to me the greatest ever that ive seen
sorry for the mini hi jack:eek:

stevelomako

Verified Member
From
Detroit, MI
They have been saying that for 10 years LOL.. Its just odd that for the last 25 years every time there is big money put up Efren somehow gets the cheese. For $ 5000 these guys might beat him. If someone put up some real money to get Efren motivated for one last hurrah I think he would practice get in gear and turn back the clock one more time

Ain't gonna happen cause ain't nobody gonna put it up for him.

P.S. Practice! Efren ain't been out of stroke since he was 10. Lol

Terry Hanna

Verified Member
From
Las Vegas Nevada
Just 2 Days away play starts Tuesday 4pm pacific Get your pass here www.poolactiontv.com

This is the top of the top. The cream of the crop. These are the guys that you RARELY get to see play even, especially for LARGE entry fees.
8 ahead one pocket match with 50k in the middle in a Epic Battle.

Commentary will be Scott Rabon and Chris Gentile. Bill Incardona and Jack Cooney will be making guest appearances in the booth. Jay Helfert will be up Wednesday and will sit in day 2.

fight night ww.jpg

NH Steve

Administrator
From
New Hampshire
Just 2 Days away play starts Tuesday 4pm pacific Get your pass here www.poolactiontv.com

This is the top of the top. The cream of the crop. These are the guys that you RARELY get to see play even, especially for LARGE entry fees.
8 ahead one pocket match with 50k in the middle in a Epic Battle.

Commentary will be Scott Rabon and Chris Gentile. Bill Incardona and Jack Cooney will be making guest appearances in the booth. Jay Helfert will be up Wednesday and will sit in day 2.

View attachment 12458

Good lineup.

LSJohn

Verified Member
From
monett missouri
11-7 Alex end of the night.

Interesting that the breaker won 8 of the 18 games.

Lots of amazing shots, but several sub-par shots/games as well.

Island Drive

Verified Member
From
florence, colorado
I'm not fallin' for that one.

I'm kinda chopping through these threads I think I'm on page eight, BUT, has anyone mentioned the play time Alex has put on the Snooker table in Europe? What I think is the hidden card in this matchup is that . Alex may have gotten the beat down in Snooker by guys that were born with a snooker cue in their hands, but the mindset of AP is Top Tier when compared to Snooker Greats. Therefore I think what Alex learned on the mental and board play side of snooker has groomed his mental game to lock down mode. I'm takin' AP.
Just read the last few posts AP got out of the gate score wise first.

Jeff sparks

Verified Member
From
Houston, Texas
I'm kinda chopping through these threads I think I'm on page eight, BUT, has anyone mentioned the play time Alex has put on the Snooker table in Europe? What I think is the hidden card in this matchup is that . Alex may have gotten the beat down in Snooker by guys that were born with a snooker cue in their hands, but the mindset of AP is Top Tier when compared to Snooker Greats. Therefore I think what Alex learned on the mental and board play side of snooker has groomed his mental game to lock down mode. I'm takin' AP.
Just read the last few posts AP got out of the gate score wise first.

Does anybody else feel this guy takes an inordinate amount of time, or is it just me??? I know there's no shot clock, and I realize that pace isn't counted as part of your score, but jeez, c'mon, some of the shots this guy ponders, over and over, up and down, back and forth, then study, study, then up and down again several more times, and then do the same exact routine over another completely different shot during the same inning!

I don't mind players taking some time with a tough situation, or a delicate shot, or even playing at a much slower pace than needed for any shot, but every shot, every consideration, c'mon.

Now I know there will be detractors to this, but I'm throwing it out there anyway. A reasonable time rule should find it's way into the one pocket rules handbook, perhaps with a timeout included once per game for those difficult situations that come up.

I don't know, the games been around a long time, maybe it's just my impatience I'm having trouble dealing with.

I just know that I really like watching top players play the game of one pocket, I love the game, and from a players standpoint, I realize it takes time to figure out the best possible shot, so I would hope for the games sake, and it's overall betterment, a happy medium could be reached somewhere between a put you to sleep speed and machine gun Lou Buterra.

JMO
Jeff

P.S. Incidentally, I also believe pace can be used as a weapon in defeating an opponent, one, as you might surmise, I don't agree with.

P.P.S. I've grown more & more crotchety with age.

Island Drive

Verified Member
From
florence, colorado
Does anybody else feel this guy takes an inordinate amount of time, or is it just me??? I know there's no shot clock, and I realize that pace isn't counted as part of your score, but jeez, c'mon, some of the shots this guy ponders, over and over, up and down, back and forth, then study, study, then up and down again several more times, and then do the same exact routine over another completely different shot during the same inning!

I don't mind players taking some time with a tough situation, or a delicate shot, or even playing at a much slower pace than needed for any shot, but every shot, every consideration, c'mon.

Now I know there will be detractors to this, but I'm throwing it out there anyway. A reasonable time rule should find it's way into the one pocket rules handbook, perhaps with a timeout included once per game for those difficult situations that come up.

I don't know, the games been around a long time, maybe it's just my impatience I'm having trouble dealing with.

I just know that I really like watching top players play the game of one pocket, I love the game, and from a players standpoint, I realize it takes time to figure out the best possible shot, so I would hope for the games sake, and it's overall betterment, a happy medium could be reached somewhere between a put you to sleep speed and machine gun Lou Buterra.

JMO
Jeff

P.S. Incidentally, I also believe pace can be used as a weapon in defeating an opponent, one, as you might surmise, I don't agree with.

Sounds like AP is playing to eat, which is TOUGH action.
30 sec. shot clock

gulfportdoc

Verified Member
From
Gulfport, Mississippi
An argument can be made for some type of antidote for slow play in tournaments, simply because the entire field oftentimes has to wait on a single, painfully slow match.

But this Frost/Pagulayan contest is a gambling match-up which has been erroneously billed as a "tournament".

In regular play, one-pocket, like baseball, should have no time limit. The slow players are pretty well known, and they're very well known on a local level. So if it's too frustrating to play them, it's best to pass them up for someone who plays a little quicker.;)

I recently watched Searching for Bobby Fischer (Joe Mantegna, et al), from 1993. In the course of the drama, the writers took plenty of time to highlight the differences between "speed chess", as popularized in Washington Square in NYC, and regular chess, which despite the use of time clocks defining an overall time period in which players have to make X amount of moves, gives the long thinking player plenty of time to mull over his moves.

Speed chess, while invigorating for the players, makes for a hurried, erratic, and artificial form of the game. I wouldn't like to see that type of thing take over in common one-pocket play, and I don't believe it will.

~Doc

androd

Verified Member
From
New Braunfels tx.

JMO
Jeff

I rarely watch pool, this is one of the reasons. I watched a match with Alex and Efren, I spent so much time fast forwarding thru Alex I couldn't enjoy it.
Rod.
P.S. I can put up playing someone like that a little better now that I'm older. Wouldn't do it when younger.

motorman

scott frost vs alex pagulayan fight night.

scott frost vs alex pagulayan fight night.

i had to leave early last night. I read something about one player did not want the match streamed any more? who was that and maybe why would they say that? Alex looks to be in firm control. Could that be the problem?