S. Mizerak vs. N. Varner 1991 L.O.P. Philadelphia Style

androd

Verified Member
From
New Braunfels tx.
Because the 6 is frozen and the stripe by the cue ball is close to whitey and Mizerak being left handed, I would just freeze the stripe to the rail and leave the cue ball so Nick would be jacked up. It's near impossible for nick to then shoot the combo and Miz would of taken away Nicks winning ball and improved his position to get out of this situation.

Now after reading the other threads, putting the heat on nicky with banking the ball to the foot rail is Very passive aggressive & almost as simple as the above description. I just remember Nick was playing soooooooooo good in 91 there was no room for error.

That was the 1st shot I saw also.
Rod.

1on1pooltournys

Verified Member
Anyone who would advocate bringing that 3rd ball downtable either forgot how to play One-Pocket or never knew how in the first place.

It's about the only way you could lose from here.

Dennis

It's a no brainer...you think he's gonna shoot at the combo? If you lay the white ball on the rail where he can't see the solid he's done. As table lays he has a nice advantage here. Anything you do other than banking that ball toward your hole is going to keep him in a good position to win the game.

The way the table lays it's the best shot, with the focus being on speed of the bank.

This was really a "soft" scenario compared to some others you've posted.

1on1pooltournys

Verified Member
Because the 6 is frozen and the stripe by the cue ball is close to whitey and Mizerak being left handed, I would just freeze the stripe to the rail and leave the cue ball so Nick would be jacked up. It's near impossible for nick to then shoot the combo and Miz would of taken away Nicks winning ball and improved his position to get out of this situation.

Now after reading the other threads, putting the heat on nicky with banking the ball to the foot rail is Very passive aggressive & almost as simple as the above description. I just remember Nick was playing soooooooooo good in 91 there was no room for error.

If you jack him up on the object ball he will just "tick" it and put you in the exact same spot.

Cowboy Dennis

Verified Member
From
Detroit,Michigan
It's a no brainer...you think he's gonna shoot at the combo? If you lay the white ball on the rail where he can't see the solid he's done. As table lays he has a nice advantage here. Anything you do other than banking that ball toward your hole is going to keep him in a good position to win the game.

The way the table lays it's the best shot, with the focus being on speed of the bank.

No, I don't think he's (Varner) gonna shoot at the combo. I think he's gonna shoot at the bank you left short or long and have a good shot at getting all three balls for no good reason except you decided to shoot the straight-back.

You're right though, it's a no-brainer.

Dennis

Cowboy Dennis

Verified Member
From
Detroit,Michigan
If you jack him up on the object ball he will just "tick" it and put you in the exact same spot.

Nope. If you jack him up on the object ball he will, in all likelihood, bank it straight-back and have all three balls in his quadrant of the table. Not something you want if you have a 7-5 lead.

Dennis

Skin

Verified Member
Why don't I just kick softly off the foot rail into the 6, barely move it, and take my seat?

Skin

Cowboy Dennis

Verified Member
From
Detroit,Michigan
Why don't I just kick softly off the foot rail into the 6, barely move it, and take my seat?

Skin

Well, I can think of 3 good reasons.

1. You are jacked up over an object ball.

2. You are shooting at a spot almost 9 feet away.

3. If the 6 is frozen you have to get a rail with the cueball after contact.

That's why you don't.

Dennis

Cowboy Dennis

Verified Member
From
Detroit,Michigan

You'll be happy to know that the Duck just called me and cussed me out for not liking the straight-back shot.

Of course, he was drunk and thought I was the waitress at the Deli who he owed $5 to.

RBL

Skin

Verified Member

That's why you don't.

Dennis

Oh. I thought I had taken all of that into consideration and that I was Steve Mizerak besides. Silly me. :rolleyes:

Skin

jtompilot

Verified Member
From
New Orleans

That's why you don't.

Dennis

Three very good reasons. But you could take an intentional sending the qb two rails and leave the qb between the pocket and 6.

Skin

Verified Member
Three very good reasons. But you could take an intentional sending the qb two rails and leave the qb between the pocket and 6.

I have never understood why players come up with reasons why a shot cannot be made when the shot is there to be made. Why not figure out how to make the shot, and make it, instead?

Live-and-die-by-the-sword Skin

Cowboy Dennis

Verified Member
From
Detroit,Michigan

If you want to take an intentional from there every time, I will play you 7-5 from there(you have 7) and you shoot the intentional for $200 per game. Same room as before, same tables as before. You choose one.

After we agree on the starting position of the balls we will mark them and you will shoot the intentional. Even if you hit the 6 you will spot one up and it will be my shot.

P.S. Put up at least $2000.

Dennis

jtompilot

Verified Member
From
New Orleans
If you want to take an intentional from there every time, I will play you 7-5 from there(you have 7) and you shoot the intentional for $200 per game. Same room as before, same tables as before. You choose one.

After we agree on the starting position of the balls we will mark them and you will shoot the intentional. Even if you hit the 6 you will spot one up and it will be my shot.

P.S. Put up at least $2000.

Dennis

I didn't say I would. But if you want to kick at the 6, you might as well take an intentional.

I'm still sticking with my tickie.

jtompilot

Verified Member
From
New Orleans
I have never understood why players come up with reasons why a shot cannot be made when the shot is there to be made. Why not figure out how to make the shot, and make it, instead?

Ok, really, your going to kick at the 6. There is no margin for error. Take 10 shots at that frozen 6 and tell me what percentage you made a good hit and/or didn't sell out. I'd be surprised if it was 10%.

Cowboy Dennis

Verified Member
From
Detroit,Michigan
I didn't say I would. But if you want to kick at the 6, you might as well take an intentional.

I'm still sticking with my tickie.

Absolutely correct. If you are going to kick at the 6 you may as well take the foul.

I like your ticky as long as it's laying right for it.

Dennis

Cowboy Dennis

Verified Member
From
Detroit,Michigan

You will understand better once you actually get into a poolroom and bet something with a guy who can win.

Keyboard playing makes many champs.

Dennis

jtompilot

Verified Member
From
New Orleans
I finally got to a table to hit some.

The tickie did leave a two rail. Not sure it's free though.

The bank on the 10 was much easier than I thought it would be. The QB was easy to control. So yes I'm bringing the third ball down table.

Of course it all depends on the real positions of the balls.

Skin

Verified Member
You will understand better once you actually get into a poolroom and bet something with a guy who can win.

Dennis

Thanks, big shot. I obviously need all the help I can get from professional shot problem posters, betting high with fantasy poolroom guys who can win or lose on those and all.

Oh hell, now I have to contemplate whether my life is being wasted on pumped up internet 1p fantasy. Well, only if you do, too.

Skin

Cowboy Dennis

Verified Member
From
Detroit,Michigan

Dennis

Thanks, big shot. I obviously need all the help I can get from professional shot problem posters, betting high with fantasy poolroom guys who can win or lose on those and all.

Oh hell, now I have to contemplate whether my life is being wasted on pumped up internet 1p fantasy. Well, only if you do, too.

Skin

Certainly you're intelligent enough to see that I just offered to play a guy 7-5 as long as he takes the foul shot he espoused and I insisted he put up $2000. If you can call that a fantasy with a guy who lives maybe 60 miles from me and who I broke even with the only time we ever played, well I guess you can just call me "fantasy poolroom guy".

You're nothing but a joke.

Dennis