S. Mizerak vs. N. Varner 1991 L.O.P. Philadelphia Style

petie

Verified Member
From
Citrus Springs, FL
Mizerak is left handed so he should have no problem banking the stipe on the head rail toward his pocket and drawing with low right down to the foot rail.

gulfportdoc

Verified Member
From
Gulfport, Mississippi
I like banking the stripe ball straight back. He's so close with the cue ball that he could certainly take care that whitey ends up on the head rail, not further than center table (so Varner would not have an easy cut on the dark solid ball).

Being that close to his work, he could either make it (game over), or leave it so close to his hole that Varner would have to knock it away, possibly leaving a free bank for Miz.

Doc

sidepocketkid

Verified Member
bank that ball to the other end rail, leave cb somewhere around that corner pocket. or cb off that ball two or three rails under the 6 and on the side rail.

Last edited:

SJDinPHX

Suspended
Any lefty anywhere near Miz's skill level, could 'twist bank' the stripe one rail, and leave Varner doubled up near the upper corner pocket !..I'm shooting it in a heartbeat, and I ain't even left-handed ! :cool:

jtompilot

Verified Member
From
New Orleans
Rail first tickie on the stripe 14 ball, send it towards the side pocket. QB to the foot rail between the first and second diamond

Bill

Verified Member
From
Washington DC
Rail first tickie on the stripe 14 ball, send it towards the side pocket. QB to the foot rail between the first and second diamond

I like this as well. just don't leave him a free two railer if it would go a little too far down table

Cloidius

Verified Member
Right...

Right...

I would not put another ball in play down table.
Rod.

If you can come off the left hand side of the far stripe, 14 ball, and swing around three rails behind the six, you've made a move. I would be trying to protect that 14, compelling him to push his balls away from his hole, or kick. Either way you are forcing his hand.

NH Steve

Administrator
From
New Hampshire
If you can come off the left hand side of the far stripe, 14 ball, and swing around three rails behind the six, you've made a move. I would be trying to protect that 14, compelling him to push his balls away from his hole, or kick. Either way you are forcing his hand.

I like the thinking, but the execution looks a little tricky to me -- you could go a little too far and scratch in his pocket, or come up a little short and leave a real nice three-railer on the stripe with shape for the six next. I would not be able to pull the trigger on your shot in this situation.

I know I don't like the idea of putting that last ball into play needing just one, but the safety shots I see look like they could go wrong. In that case, I'd like to go down shooting. I flipped the image so it is the way I would see it if the equivalent shot came up for me as a righty :) Is that cheating Dennis?? :D

Attachments

• Greenshot_2013-09-20_07-43-06.jpg
    Greenshot_2013-09-20_07-43-06.jpg
    62.1 KB · Views: 0

petie

Verified Member
From
Citrus Springs, FL
When I. See it like this, I like my shot even better. Hit the bank wth pace so it doesn't leave a cross corner when whitie is on the end rail.

Jimmy B

Verified Member
I would do something simple like always. Feather that ball and do this. I don't want to put the stripe in play or hand him something easy by no means. Make him execute...

bstroud

Verified Member
I would do something simple like always. Feather that ball and do this. I don't want to put the stripe in play or hand him something easy by no means. Make him execute...

I would shoot this shot making sure I did not leave the 10 ball where he could shoot it in on his next inning.

Bill S.

wincardona

Verified Member
From
Dallas Tx.
I like the thinking, but the execution looks a little tricky to me -- you could go a little too far and scratch in his pocket, or come up a little short and leave a real nice three-railer on the stripe with shape for the six next. I would not be able to pull the trigger on your shot in this situation.

I know I don't like the idea of putting that last ball into play needing just one, but the safety shots I see look like they could go wrong. In that case, I'd like to go down shooting. I flipped the image so it is the way I would see it if the equivalent shot came up for me as a righty :) Is that cheating Dennis?? :D
I like your thinking on everything you said, however, I would shoot the 14ball either to position it as close to the pocket as possible, or make it with the speed to "dribble" into the pocket. The speed of the OB is of extreme importance and would get 90% of my attention. Also, play the cue ball as close to the rail as possible, this shot is your best defensive shot...disguised as an offensive shot.

I would also play the shot the same way Stroud drew it up, his method of shooting the shot offers you a better feel for the control of the OB. It also gives you more latitude with the speed of the hit, which is also very important.

We all should know by now that when needing only one ball to your opponents three, you should ALMOST never put all the balls in play. Notice I put the "ALMOST" in there.:D However, there are times when putting the third ball in play is correct, and imo this is one of them.

I have put the second ball in play many times when needing only one ball to my opponents two, without this understanding I probably would have not won many of those games. Like I said in the 2nd. paragraph..."this shot is your best shot, disguised as an offensive shot"

Dr. Bill

Last edited:

Island Drive

Verified Member
From
florence, colorado
Because the 6 is frozen and the stripe by the cue ball is close to whitey and Mizerak being left handed, I would just freeze the stripe to the rail and leave the cue ball so Nick would be jacked up. It's near impossible for nick to then shoot the combo and Miz would of taken away Nicks winning ball and improved his position to get out of this situation.

Now after reading the other threads, putting the heat on nicky with banking the ball to the foot rail is Very passive aggressive & almost as simple as the above description. I just remember Nick was playing soooooooooo good in 91 there was no room for error.

Last edited:

jtompilot

Verified Member
From
New Orleans

I don't like the qb placement there. Leaves open the two rail on the 6. The qb needs to be closer to the 6 which opens the scratch in the side or corner.

The 10 ball is in play now, so banking it towards your hole playing speed like Dr. Bill says works for me. The problem is the closer to the hole you bank it to makes it much harder to control the qb and not scratch or sell out a shot. So I would bank it one Diamond short and leave some pressure on.

Cowboy Dennis

Verified Member
From
Detroit,Michigan
Anyone who would advocate bringing that 3rd ball downtable either forgot how to play One-Pocket or never knew how in the first place.

It's about the only way you could lose from here.

Dennis

FastEddieF.

Verified Member
Because the 6 is frozen and the stripe by the cue ball is close to whitey and Mizerak being left handed, I would just freeze the stripe to the rail and leave the cue ball so Nick would be jacked up. It's near impossible for nick to then shoot the combo and Miz would of taken away Nicks winning ball and improved his position to get out of this situation.

Now after reading the other threads, putting the heat on nicky with banking the ball to the foot rail is Very passive aggressive & almost as simple as the above description. I just remember Nick was playing soooooooooo good in 91 there was no room for error.

I agree 100%