S. Daulton vs. S. Frost 2009 D.C.C.

Island Drive

Verified Member
From
florence, colorado
Cue it 12 o'clock and bank it back to my hole. What I like about this shot, I'm able to control both ball speeds and leave both balls on the same long rail, even if I over bank it. Also, the eight ball, being the darkest and most porous ball on the table, generally has more dirt on it (but I just noticed I'm hitting the white contact point on the 8), thus making the swipe bank shot even more makeable. My only concern other than speed is to Not under bank it.

lll

Verified Member
From
vero beach fl
Cue it 12 o'clock and bank it back to my hole. What I like about this shot, I'm able to control both ball speeds and leave both balls on the same long rail, even if I over bank it. Also, the eight ball, being the darkest and most porous ball on the table, generally has more dirt on it (but I just noticed I'm hitting the white contact point on the 8), thus making the swipe bank shot even more makeable. My only concern other than speed is to Not under bank it.

from that angle im not sure i would try to bank it
maybe cut it up table and leave the cue ball above it
sf2.jpg

LSJohn

Verified Member
From
monett missouri

I like it: Straightback and twice across, but I usually shoot this center ball with 1 tip of inside. Do you think that's inferior to 12:00?

beatle

Verified Member
make it and draw over to about the first diamond short rail. and let him shoot.

those fast tables aint so easy from there

cincy_kid

Verified Member
From
Cincinnati, OH
I am banking this towards my hole. I would rather overcut it than undercut as mentioned above. Also, I always use 12 o'clock here over a side english so that I don't have the cue-ball squirt on me and mess up my aim.

androd

Verified Member
From
New Braunfels tx.
I like it: Straightback and twice across, but I usually shoot this center ball with 1 tip of inside. Do you think that's inferior to 12:00?

Yep, the ''swipe'' action of coming across the face of the ball will put a natural r/h spin on the object ball.

The inside makes you overcut the ball, like in Franks diagram, I usually use a touch of outside to keep the hit from turning it too much.

LSJohn

Verified Member
From
monett missouri
The inside makes you overcut the ball, like in Franks diagram, I usually use a touch of outside to keep the hit from turning it too much.

I'm thinking defensively here, not expecting to make the bank and wanting CB higher... (I'm trying to tame my gopher, and Punxutawney Phil plays tighter than you. :D )

androd

Verified Member
From
New Braunfels tx.
I'm thinking defensively here, not expecting to make the bank and wanting CB higher... (I'm trying to tame my gopher, and Punxutawney Phil plays tighter than you. :D )

Well, I've got a lot of gofer in me, the 12 o,clock will prevent a scratch across side. Might as well go ahead and make the ball.

P.S. Even using a high ball, elevating the rear of the stick helps me on this shot.

Island Drive

Verified Member
From
florence, colorado

You then bring into play the other side pocket/scratch....With a 12 o'clock high cue ball and that thin of a cut.... the overspin will take it a diamond below the side pocket.

wincardona

Verified Member
From
Dallas Tx.

There are only two shots that I like here, one of them is banking it like you suggested, maybe with a 1/4 tip of inside but no more than that. You brought up some excellent points on why you would bank it with a center ball and with the speed you suggested, plus both balls then would end up on the same side of the table which is important.

The other shot I would consider shooting is a simple safety to get away from this position. For those who are a little scared of trying to bank the ball I would suggest cutting it into the diamond below the side pocket with the speed to roll slightly short of the pocket. The speed of the cue ball should go around 1/3 way cross table and the 8ball should end up in a safe position near the top rail close to the pocket.

Dr. Bill

Island Drive

Verified Member
From
florence, colorado
Walking In to the Shot

Walking In to the Shot

Here's another way to approach the bank shot. When aiming, aim for a spot on the other rail, where whitey will hit below the pocket. It's a great mindset to include with ''your way'' it gives you a little more confidence and a secondary way to ''feel'' the shot, and improve ones muscle memory. But hey, I knew you all........already new that. :sorry

That's all:

Last edited:

beatle

Verified Member
yes you do larry you are getting good.. that angle was almost a closed angle instead of an open angle. a closed angle is much harder to cut bank from and hit it pure. it is not a shot i believe is to be aggressive from.

lll

Verified Member
From
vero beach fl
yes you do larry you are getting good.. that angle was almost a closed angle instead of an open angle. a closed angle is much harder to cut bank from and hit it pure. it is not a shot i believe is to be aggressive from.

thanks beatle...:)
i didnt think of it as closed vs open angle but my gut told me it was a tough bank
i will try to remember to look at that type of bank that way