S. Daulton vs. "Bugs" LOP III 1992

wincardona

Verified Member
From
Dallas Tx.
I would kick to the left of the 9ball off the top rail into the balls near the side rail, softly.

Bill Incardona

Tom Wirth

Verified Member
From
Delray Beach, Florida
I would kick to the left of the 9ball off the top rail into the balls near the side rail, softly.

Bill Incardona

I like that idea too, Bill. You must get the stack between the cue ball and your pocket so as to protect the two balls you have down table. The shot can also be played using the side and top rails if you prefer, but you had better have a good understanding of the angles. As you suggested, the speed is critical on this shot.

Tom

Cory in dc

Verified Member
Looks like Shannon was thinking about 3-railing the 7 at first.

I'd probably try to get behind the cluster by going thin off the left edge of the 2-ball with some right English.

If I thought I could get the 2-ball back down to where the cue ball is now, I'd probably try to bank that and use some follow and right english to get behind the balls (and probably sell out the 9). Then he wouldn't be able to safe me on the bottom rail anymore. But I don't think that lays quite right.

tylerdurden

Verified Member
I have seen this match. You know, there are one or 2 instances in this match (I believe), when bugs gets ball in hand and fires at a bank, and I think balls are near shannon's hole. It is really something to see, I have never seen a player do that in all my years. That one would make a good wwyd, haha.

Jimmy B

Verified Member
I have seen this match. You know, there are one or 2 instances in this match (I believe), when bugs gets ball in hand and fires at a bank, and I think balls are near shannon's hole. It is really something to see, I have never seen a player do that in all my years. That one would make a good wwyd, haha.

I know what you mean TD. I've seen it too, multiple times and had an 'OMG Now I know what they meant about Bugs' experience. I said I wouldn't give it away if I already knew what they shot again and try to look smart. (Wouldn't work anyways.) But it was a great match, wasn't it....?

petie

Verified Member
From
Citrus Springs, FL
Go off the left side of the 8 ball knocking it up and down the table so that it goes a little deeper and closer towards your pocket. You are really just playing whitie with RH to go off the side rail, off the end rail and into the gap behind the stack. The proper speed should land whitie on the back, RH corner of the stack. The billiard players should love this one. Lots of spin.

lll

Verified Member
From
vero beach fl

mini hi jack alert
in the 1970s i saw bugs play earl heisler $500 game 1 pocket at the sports palace in new orleans
in one game earl had a few balls near his pocket
bugs made a 4 railer left the cue ball in the open on the table so he could run out after he made the bank,,,,,,:eek:.....:D.
had he missed earl had an open shot at his pocket.........:eek:
ballsiest shot i ever saw....:D
:focus

jtompilot

Verified Member
From
New Orleans
I like Cory's shot on the 2. With right spin if that jawed ball could be made that would be a good thing. I dont think the 9 goes past the blocking ball.

straightback

Verified Member
From
owensboro, ky
mini hi jack alert
in the 1970s i saw bugs play earl heisler $500 game 1 pocket at the sports palace in new orleans
in one game earl had a few balls near his pocket
bugs made a 4 railer left the cue ball in the open on the table so he could run out after he made the bank,,,,,,:eek:.....:D.
had he missed earl had an open shot at his pocket.........:eek:
ballsiest shot i ever saw....:D
:focus

Man, Bugs was just something else! I will admit, when I first saw video footage of him, his fundamentals struck me as being kind of suspect, even on his instructional banking videos. I was expecting a monster stroke and rock-solid basics like our own John Brumbeck. However, he had a more adaptive approach and he used much more English than 90% of bankers I've seen. Now add to that his proclivities for drink and other intoxicants. It does not smack of "world beater."

Now, having said all that, the stories recounting the relative size of his testes are amazing! Shooting on gangsters' money, shooting with a gun to your head, shooting against the best in the world for 10s of thousands, shooting off-angle banks and playing position...it's hard to fully comprehend exactly how good he was!

I mean, who shoots a 4-railer and fully expects it to go in?!?

At any rate, I like trying to under bank the 8 back by that other ball, maybe even try to nudge it, and put CB up behind that stack.

Cory in dc

Verified Member
I am surprised nobody chose the 3-railer. I'm guessing Daulton wished he hadn't after he made it and then scratched:eek:.

View attachment 9861

I did at least mention the 3-railer. Good for a crumb at least, no??

The reason I didn't recommend it is that is seemed likely to sell out a cross-over bank on the return shot, without a lot of payoff even if you make it.

NH Steve

Administrator
From
New Hampshire
:D:D
Looks like Shannon was thinking about 3-railing the 7 at first.

I'd probably try to get behind the cluster by going thin off the left edge of the 2-ball with some right English.

If I thought I could get the 2-ball back down to where the cue ball is now, I'd probably try to bank that and use some follow and right english to get behind the balls (and probably sell out the 9). Then he wouldn't be able to safe me on the bottom rail anymore. But I don't think that lays quite right.

That's what I was looking at too -- as long as I thought I could avoid scratching in the left side pocket, avoid selling out the 9, avoid bumping that stripe near the 9, avoid the kiss, AND get the 2 close to my hole, lol But yeah, that was my shot too. Not expecting it to go, but rather just getting in a little closer to my hole and playing the cue ball.

fred bentivegna

Verified Member
From
chicago illinois
The 3 railer was a stiff. Scratch or not. The power would come from somehow getting behind that big cub on the long rail, thereby protecting the 2 balls that now go in your pocket. Kick 3 rails and take a scratch even if you have to. If you scratch a ball will be added to the spot and protect those balls from being taken out of play.

Beard