S. Cook vs. R. Richeson 1998 L.O.P.

treeMan

Verified Member
I can't see anything productive and safe, shooter will be jacked up for most downhill shots making them doubly hard.

I'd kick under the one ball firmly to get it out of there.

Looking forward to more interesting options as I can't imaging this is what Cook shot.

tree

edit: that is if the 2 is not blocking the way for a full hit on the 1.

NH Steve

Administrator
From
New Hampshire
To me it does not look like the cue ball would clear the 7-ball (?) to make the 14. If it did, I might even shoot the 14 because you are nice and close to your work. But I am going to assume you cannot get to it cleanly :(

So I guess, give him the 1-ball. Not very creative, sorry :D

I wish that 5-8 carom looked a little more "on"...

bstroud

Verified Member
In this situation I might just shoot the one ball in and make sure to put the cue ball on the end rail.

It would be difficult for your opponent to make a really offensive shot from there.

The balls are on your side but won't all go in your pocket yet so perhaps in the next inning you will have a chance to open them up.

Bill S.

Cowboy Dennis

Verified Member
From
Detroit,Michigan
Don't any of the proponents of rolling the 1 in see that it would leave a straight-back on the 15 with natural position on the 6? It would also leave Cook tough on the three balls he could make.

Dennis

piggybank04

Verified Member
being jacked up greatly reduces your options here..... i would do 1 of 2 things here, first go rail first into the side of the one, hoping i freeze on it or get very close, second,shoot the 2 fairly hard under the one getting both balls out of there and playing the billiards towards your pocket.....probably a good shot but somewhat risky, especially jacked up......

onepockethacker

Verified Member
being jacked up greatly reduces your options here..... i would do 1 of 2 things here, first go rail first into the side of the one, hoping i freeze on it or get very close, second,shoot the 2 fairly hard under the one getting both balls out of there and playing the billiards towards your pocket.....probably a good shot but somewhat risky, especially jacked up......

Your first option is the right shot

jtompilot

Verified Member
From
New Orleans
Don't any of the proponents of rolling the 1 in see that it would leave a straight-back on the 15 with natural position on the 6? It would also leave Cook tough on the three balls he could make.

Dennis

You can have that 15 bank.

I'm going to move the 1 over a little

Cowboy Dennis

Verified Member
From
Detroit,Michigan
I can't see anything productive and safe, shooter will be jacked up for most downhill shots making them doubly hard.

I'd kick under the one ball firmly to get it out of there.

Looking forward to more interesting options as I can't imaging this is what Cook shot.

tree

edit: that is if the 2 is not blocking the way for a full hit on the 1.

There's no way to tell if the 2 was in the way. One of the co-commentators thought Cook could kick the 1 also but I don't know how far they are from the table. Cook did look at the 1 ball first but decided, for whatever reason, not to shoot it.

Cook was one of the most intelligent players I've ever seen and he usually shot the right shot so I'm guessing the kick at the 1 was blocked by the 2.

Dennis

wincardona

Verified Member
From
Dallas Tx.
Very good Fish, you win a cookie:p. Cook shot and missed the 14 ball:(.

View attachment 8764

He left it here for Richie:

View attachment 8765
Cutting at the 14ball is a viable option for the better ball pocketers, however, pocketing the 1ball is also a good option. Pocketing the 1ball and protecting the 14ball will leave your opponent in a tough position, let him shoot at anything he likes, which looks to me like nothing much.

The 14ball looks to be a very tempting option, especially when you consider the closeness of the shot. That coupled with the fact that Steve is a very good shot maker, and there could of been a big reward for pocketing the ball was more than enough to have a go at it. Steve was gambling a little but obviously felt good about his decision, which is probably why he shot it.

Dr. Bill