runnels vs. yee shot question

evergruven

Verified Member
howdy y'all
was phil going for his pocket w the kiss?
if so, is that your shot in this situation?

catkins

Verified Member
From
boulder creek ca
looks like he was playing the 2 railer and running the cue ball to the top rial I would just spin cross the ball and focus on leaving the cue ball top rail near the other ball and object ball near center of table

gulfportdoc

Verified Member
From
Gulfport, Mississippi
howdy y'all
No, as Catkins said, Phil was going for the 2-railer: up and back. But he used low spin which caused the double kiss. He would have needed to use some type of high ball. He was probably thinking that he didn't want to leave a return bank by leaving the CB down table..

Actually that 5 ball is bankable cross corner, but a guy almost needs to use swerve. Still, banking it cross-corner was the shot, taking care not to scratch in the side pocket. It would likely leave Ike a 2-railer on the stripe, but he couldn't shoot it due to the proximity of the 5 now by the opponent's pocket. He'd have to take away the 5.

Last edited:

jtompilot

Verified Member
From
New Orleans
No, as Catkins said, Phil was going for the 2-railer: up and back. But he used low spin which caused the double kiss. He would have needed to use some type of high ball. He was probably thinking that he didn't want to leave a return bank by leaving the CB down table..

Actually that 5 ball is bankable cross corner, but a guy almost needs to use swerve. Still, banking it cross-side was the shot, taking care not to scratch in the side pocket. It would likely leave Ike a 2-railer on the stripe, but he couldn't shoot it due to the proximity of the 5 now by the opponent's pocket. He'd have to take away the 5.

I can show him how to cross the 5😂

LSJohn

Verified Member
From
monett missouri
howdy y'all
As usual, I'm going against the grain. I think he absolutely knew that the kiss would be unavoidable with the english he chose. He didn't barely kiss... he hit it dead center.

Bob Jewett

Verified Member
From
Berkeley, CA
As usual, I'm going against the grain. I think he absolutely knew that the kiss would be unavoidable with the english he chose. He didn't barely kiss... he hit it dead center.
I agree with this. He took none of possible precautions for avoiding the kiss. Either he had a total brain freeze or he was playing the kiss. I've never tried it from that far away from the foot cushion.

Dennis "Whitey" Young

Verified Member
From
Klamath Falls, Or.
It appears the shot the Patrick Johnston selected is very similar to the one in the video.
Therefore IMO since the shooter is much farther away from the OP then it just makes it that much harder to an already hard shot to get out of the kiss.
What do you guys think of doing a 5 rail bank in this situation. I think the cb might behave, the ob and cb will not kiss on route to the hole.

But, would the best shot be to try and cross the ob over by your hole, and nothing to radical? Whitey

Last edited:

jtompilot

Verified Member
From
New Orleans
It appears the shot the Patrick Johnston selected is very similar to the one in the video.
Therefore IMO since the shooter is much farther away from the OP then it just makes it that much harder to an already hard shot to get out of the kiss.
What do you guys think of doing a 5 rail bank in this situation. I think the cb might behave, the ob and cb will not kiss on route to the hole. Whitey

I had a similar shot against Danny Smith except the object ball was at 1/4 Diamond from the corner, yes I crossed it one rail. The 5 is in a great position for the cross, why would you even try a five rail, unless your name is Whitey🤣

Last edited:

Dennis "Whitey" Young

Verified Member
From
Klamath Falls, Or.
I had a similar shot against Danny Smith except the object ball was at 1/4 Diamond from the corner, yes I crossed it one rail. The 5 is in a great position for the cross, why would you even try a five rail, unless your name is Whitey🤣
Pilot, I agree, I was adding to my previous post as you posted.
I had just stepped away from the Lakers / Houston game at half time and posted. LOL! Whitey

gulfportdoc

Verified Member
From
Gulfport, Mississippi
Of course he was. I personally don’t like the two rail from that position
I don't either. That is to say I like the shot itself, but it's very difficult to get the CB to go uptable AND hit the bank accurately. On many of those up & back 2-railers it's necessary to use outside so as to not shorten the OB off the 2nd rail. But outside here would leave the CB down at the foot end of the table, possibly leaving the opponent a makeable bank if the shot is missed.

Here the shooter didn't think of any of that. He was just trying to hot dog the ball in...