Rules ruling

darmoose

Verified Member
From
Baltimore, MD
My bad, you're correct about all refereed matches are played by the.. all touched fouls apply rule..However, it always wasn't that way. Maybe I should of said that in "tournament play" all rules should be enforced to protect the integrity of the rule, which would then preserve the integrity of the game. Any ways the debate is actually based off of "side action" play, or match play, between players that are monitoring their own game. With this understanding I believe that discretionary rules should be discussed before hand and revised in some way to create a more manageable situation if it happened to have showed. Just my opinion.

Old schoolers had to learn to "roll with the punches" in order to succeed, unlike today where every thing is measured. Keeping the edge on the side of the savvier ones.:D :sorry

Bill Incardona

Bill,

And thank you also for that. I presume that you agree then that WPA 20 is the rule that is intended to be a "compromise" for match players to go by, and is intended to be "more manageable" for casual play and for gambling.

I couldn't agree with you and Rod more, (and even OP926 when I can understand what he is saying), when you say that the time to discuss the rules is not in the middle of a game, especially when you are trying to make a score. The time is now and the place is here.

What strikes me as so funny is that for all these years, we got all these aficionados playing by this Cue ball fouls only rule, and we got TD's and 1P.org moderators interpreting it, when apparently they haven't really read it or don't understand what it is saying.

This rule is so facockatad (sp) that in the end it actually makes it a ball in hand foul to go ahead and shoot the shot if you touched a ball either prior to shooting or while shooting and didn't give your opponent the option of replacing the ball before you shot (which is impossible if it happens while you are shooting the shot, ain't it?):sorry

Personally, I'm a peach to play with, play almost everyday, no disputes, cause I am mostly collecting. But, with rules like this one we'd be better off with no rules.

All you nonbelievers need to go to WPA website and read the last sentence in Regulations 20, and if you can interpret that differently, I wanna hear it.

P.S. Tom, I couldn't agree with you more either, but don't you agree that is a different subject. I mean there has to be someplace where it is proper to discuss and define rules, no?

baby huey

Verified Member
This could go on forever. If two balls were moved and that indeed constituted a foul, then do you get to move the balls back where they were and charge your opponent a foul(owes a ball) and get to shoot?

Artie Bodendorfer

Verified Member
This could go on forever. If two balls were moved and that indeed constituted a foul, then do you get to move the balls back where they were and charge your opponent a foul(owes a ball) and get to shoot?
In the olden days anyone touched or moved a ball was a foul. Old school New rules. Playing Straight pool you would only loose one point, No cue ball in hand. The second foul you would loose another point. The third foul in a row you loose 16 points. And you rack up the balls and brake the balls again. And its been so long that I don't remember what happinese if the player fouls again and again and what happened if he fouled 6 times in a row.

Jimmy B

Verified Member
In the olden days anyone touched or moved a ball was a foul. Old school New rules. Playing Straight pool you would only loose one point, No cue ball in hand. The second foul you would loose another point. The third foul in a row you loose 16 points. And you rack up the balls and brake the balls again. And its been so long that I don't remember what happinese if the player fouls again and again and what happened if he fouled 6 times in a row.

Artie, I would think that the cycle would start over after you subtract his points off and re-racked the balls. Thus he would be back on zero after the re-rack. But I'm not sure. But I like the way your mind works. Always thinking..!!

onepocket926

Verified Member
From
Anderson, CA

...I took a count....and My opinion is..... Your answer is a 73/64.....Yes.....but, just to be safe...you better ask the REF....:lol.....I believe that 10 of those votes were cast by.....dead people and people that voted twice....

....137 posts as long as Your arm.......and You reduced it to two sentences.....well done....:eek:

........if the Supreme Court.....could do that....I'm sure They come to more than.....5 rulings per year.......

Artie Bodendorfer

Verified Member
Artie, I would think that the cycle would start over after you subtract his points off and re-racked the balls. Thus he would be back on zero after the re-rack. But I'm not sure. But I like the way your mind works. Always thinking..!!
That has always been my first lesion. I would tell whoever wanted to learn to play pool or any other game. I would keep repeating think think and think. Don't just keep doing the same thing over and over again. Think before you shoot. And figure out what you want to do. Don't shoot and then think. And say what do I do now the correct answer is in the shot before. Not after the mistake or accident. Its to late once the mistake is made. You cannot change that. But you can learn from your mistake and see how you got there. So you don't repeat the same mistake. Think and you will find the answer.

Artie Bodendorfer

Verified Member
In the olden days anyone touched or moved a ball was a foul. Old school New rules. Playing Straight pool you would only loose one point, No cue ball in hand. The second foul you would loose another point. The third foul in a row you loose 16 points. And you rack up the balls and brake the balls again. And its been so long that I don't remember what happiness if the player fouls again and again and what happened if he fouled 6 times in a row.
All I remember after 3 scratches you loose 16 points and re rack the balls and the player bracks the balls again. I don.t even remember if you have to drive one or two balls to the rail. From that point on. After 3 scratches in a row.

baby huey

Verified Member
Boy did we have some crazy rules over the years. In 14.1 three scratches in a row is a loss of 18 points total and your choice of re-racking and also your choice of breaking again or making the opponent break. I don't remember when we decided we had to notify our opponent when he was on two fouls. I liked it better in one pocket when we took as many fouls as we wanted. Touch anything and it was a foul. I also am old enough to remember two shot shoot out in nine ball. Had to be two fouls by the same player to get ball in hand. Some times we pushed out to a bank and our opponent pushed out to a cut shot and this went on forever.

wincardona

Verified Member
From
Dallas Tx.
Boy did we have some crazy rules over the years. In 14.1 three scratches in a row is a loss of 18 points total and your choice of re-racking and also your choice of breaking again or making the opponent break. I don't remember when we decided we had to notify our opponent when he was on two fouls. I liked it better in one pocket when we took as many fouls as we wanted. Touch anything and it was a foul. I also am old enough to remember two shot shoot out in nine ball. Had to be two fouls by the same player to get ball in hand. Some times we pushed out to a bank and our opponent pushed out to a cut shot and this went on forever.

I remember the push out rules the way you described them, but we played push out where the player that initially pushed would challenge the opponent to either shoot the shot or be forced to shoot it themselves. There was not a push after a push because it would invariably end up with players pushing off pushes like you described.

Bill Incardona

androd

Verified Member
From
New Braunfels tx.

I remember the push out rules the way you described them, but we played push out where the player that initially pushed would challenge the opponent to either shoot the shot or be forced to shoot it themselves. There was not a push after a push because it would invariably end up with players pushing off pushes like you described.

Bill Incardona

With me it began shoot to hit it, if missed shoot again.
Next was roll out, two fouls by the same shooter.
Next any two fouls.
Next the dreaded "Texas Express"
Rod.

gulfportdoc

Verified Member
From
Gulfport, Mississippi

Bill Incardona

That's the way I remember it. In the L.A. area in the late 60's we played that you couldn't push out unless you couldn't see the full object ball. If you could hit the full ball, then you couldn't "roll out". On a push out, the incoming player could accept the position and shoot, or give it back to you.

A scratch or foul gave the opponent ball in hand behind the head string. If the next ball to shoot was in the Kitchen, then it would be spotted. That's why everyone was so good at spot shots in those days. Guys went for a lot more tough shots, which made the game exciting. And it was not common so see long safety battles.

Texas Express is a game that oftentimes allows luck to dictate the outcome of the rack. Also, I've played guys who rarely tried to run balls, but rather to continually try to 3-foul you. That's not what 9-ball was invented to be like...:rolleyes:

~Doc

Artie Bodendorfer

Verified Member

That's the way I remember it. In the L.A. area in the late 60's we played that you couldn't push out unless you couldn't see the full object ball. If you could hit the full ball, then you couldn't "roll out". On a push out, the incoming player could accept the position and shoot, or give it back to you.

A scratch or foul gave the opponent ball in hand behind the head string. If the next ball to shoot was in the Kitchen, then it would be spotted. That's why everyone was so good at spot shots in those days. Guys went for a lot more tough shots, which made the game exciting. And it was not common so see long safety battles.

Texas Express is a game that oftentimes allows luck to dictate the outcome of the rack. Also, I've played guys who rarely tried to run balls, but rather to continually try to 3-foul you. That's not what 9-ball was invented to be like...:rolleyes:

~Doc
The rules are not the problem or the laws. Its the people who make them are the problem. And we the people just excepted them and go along with what they make. And we excepted there laws and rules and statues without any say. Even when they make illegal laws they are excepted and not changed. They make whatever laws are good for them.And what ever laws they want past. That's too much power for the wrong people. The people should vote on the laws, Instead of getting locked up by there laws. You ever stop and think Why America has more people locket up. In the hole world according to our population. That does't sound like a free country.
The laws and the power should be with the people not a hand full of get rich people.

onepocket926

Verified Member
From
Anderson, CA

~Doc

......Your Doctorate must be in Divinity....because I'm compelled to shout out....."Amen Brother !!!!"....:D