Rules Question

One pocket Smitty

Verified Member
From
Chandler, Tx.
Had a situation come up the other day, need some input from the rule gurus that stand guard on the rules.
Lets say the 11 ball is froze to the rail, the shooter hits a object ball with the CB ever so soft, the OB does not hit a rail, the CB rolls up to the 11and sticks to it. Now the question, is it a foul because the neither the CB or OB hit a rail or is it no foul because the 11 being froze to the rail becomes part of the rail.
I said it was a foul because neither the OB or CB hit a rail. My thought is it would be just like if you were playing to shoot the 11 you would have to hit a rail with the CB since it was frozen.
Please chime in with your answers.
By the way I am now shooting at Bogies on 1960 if any of you are in that area stop by to say HI, most of the time will be there from around 11 to 4.---Smitty

lll

Verified Member
From
vero beach fl
you would have to call the 11 froze before the shooter shot
then it would be a foul
if you didn't call it froze no foul
just as if the shooter was going to play off the 11 ball
jmho
im not a" rules guru"..:D

Mkbtank

Verified Member
From
Philly Pa
Rules Question

It was a strange deal because no one even thought he was going to lay the CB on the 11, he was shooting at a different ball.---Smitty

In that case I believe it was not a foul; only due to the technicality of not "calling" it frozen.

NH Steve

Administrator
From
New Hampshire
I agree too. You can't jump up and call balls froze or not all over the table "just in case" or you will lose a customer (or some teeth), so you are going to have some potential fouls end up as not fouls, because the ball was not called frozen. But it probably works out both ways over the long haul. Of course, if you are the one shooting, you are under no obligation to go examine and announce if some ball is frozen or not, lol.

wincardona

Verified Member
From
Dallas Tx.
Bottom line..any ball that is not called frozen is treated as a ball that is not frozen.:sorry

Hope every one has a great year and if you happen to live in Chicago..you're frozen.:p See you all at the Derby.

Dr. Bill

onepockethacker

Verified Member
You have to call the ball frozen before he shoots every turn. If you call a ball frozen then your opponent shoots a different ball entirely and you do also and nothing has even gone near the frozen ball you have to call the ball frozen before each turn. If you had called it frozen it would be a foul under the current rules

LSJohn

Verified Member
From
monett missouri
The point of "calling it" is to give the opponent -- or maybe a referee -- a chance to verify or challenge, and in the situation you describe, if you didn't inspect carefully you don't really know the 11 was frozen, you just know it was very close to frozen.

Frank Almanza

Verified Member
From
Upland, California
You have to call the ball frozen before he shoots every turn. If you call a ball frozen then your opponent shoots a different ball entirely and you do also and nothing has even gone near the frozen ball you have to call the ball frozen before each turn. If you had called it frozen it would be a foul under the current rules

With most people I play with, once we call a ball frozen it's considered frozen until it been moved. Pretty tacky to have to call that ball frozen before each shot.
But I can understand tournament play or playing against certain individuals that you better call it frozen before each shot.

wincardona

Verified Member
From
Dallas Tx.
With most people I play with, once we call a ball frozen it's considered frozen until it been moved. Pretty tacky to have to call that ball frozen before each shot.
But I can understand tournament play or playing against certain individuals that you better call it frozen before each shot.

I respect the fact that that's the way you play with certain people, however, it's a bad habit to get into. You will get called on it at some point, and when you do..you're drawing dead.

Dr. Bill

baby huey

Verified Member
Got to call it frozen each time otherwise you get into how much time/shots would elaspe before you are obligated to call it frozen again. The game of one pocket has not changed too much over the years and I think that's the reason it's so much fun to play. The only rule changes I can think of are the 3 foul rule and spotting balls in the kitchen. Pretty cool ugh that we play a game that has stood the test of time.