Rule question sort of

bobt64

Verified Member
From
Green Valley, AZ
Not really a rule question about current rules, I was wondering if anyone has ever played with the rule that on the break a object must hit the rail. If no object ball hits the rail and only the cue ball hits the rail it's a foul. Comes up occasionally where I play with conflicting views expressed.

cincy_kid

Verified Member
From
Cincinnati, OH
Not really a rule question about current rules, I was wondering if anyone has ever played with the rule that on the break a object must hit the rail. If no object ball hits the rail and only the cue ball hits the rail it's a foul. Comes up occasionally where I play with conflicting views expressed.

From our official rules page:

2.2 The opening break begins with ball in hand behind the head string. On the break, the cue ball may contact either a cushion or any ball in the rack first, but in either case, after contacting at least one ball, an object ball must be pocketed, or the cue ball or at least one object ball must contact a rail, otherwise it is a one foul penalty. As long as a legal stroke is employed from behind the head string on the break, the incoming player must play the balls where they lie – there are no re-racks for a pocket scratch or failure to contact a cushion or pocket a ball on the break.

So as long as the CB hits a rail after contacting the rack there should be no foul. In straight pool, however, I do think you have to have a ball or 2 hit the rail after the break but don't quote me on that.

androd

Verified Member
From
New Braunfels tx.
Yes those are older rules, the cue ball -and- another were required to touch a rail or it was a foul. With the rule changes the kick shot and the head ball break (Oklahoma ) are much more effective.

crabbcatjohn

Verified Member
From
Benton, Ky.
Yes those are older rules, the cue ball -and- another were required to touch a rail or it was a foul. With the rule changes the kick shot and the head ball break (Oklahoma ) are much more effective.

I've never seen that one? What is the head ball break?

androd

Verified Member
From
New Braunfels tx.
You place the CB near the rail and roll into the head ball, a ball usually goes near your pocket. Ideally the CB replaces the head ball.
Sometimes very effective. A few practice shots, Bobs your Uncle.

J.R.

Verified Member
From
Chicago, Illinois
From our official rules page:

2.2 The opening break begins with ball in hand behind the head string. On the break, the cue ball may contact either a cushion or any ball in the rack first, but in either case, after contacting at least one ball, an object ball must be pocketed, or the cue ball or at least one object ball must contact a rail, otherwise it is a one foul penalty. As long as a legal stroke is employed from behind the head string on the break, the incoming player must play the balls where they lie – there are no re-racks for a pocket scratch or failure to contact a cushion or pocket a ball on the break.

So as long as the CB hits a rail after contacting the rack there should be no foul. In straight pool, however, I do think you have to have a ball or 2 hit the rail after the break but don't quote me on that.

In straight pool, the opening shot is the break shot and like one pocket begins with ball in hand behind the head string. On the break, the cue ball and at least two object balls must make contact with a rail. It is a two shot foul and the incoming player has the option of shooting the next shot where the object balls are positioned at or have the balls re-racked and have his opponent break again. On a re-rack the opponent must rebreak and once again the cue ball and at least two balls must make contact with a rail. This can go on until the opponent has a legal break shot or until the incoming player takes the next shot where the objects balls are positioned at. The opening break shot foul does not count towards the "3 fouls in a row rule" which is another story.

NH Steve

Administrator
From
New Hampshire
The BCA rules for One Pocket may have had that OB has to hit a rail thing, but even in early Johnson City and Fats rules it was cue ball or OB.

Btw, Ike Runnels used that head ball break a few games in Houston.

oldschool1478

Verified Member
From
Quincy, MA
Speaking of our one-pocket rules. I thought it was decided that a ball made on the break requires a re-rack?
I just downloaded to my phone and don't see that. Are we keeping it optional?

NH Steve

Administrator
From
New Hampshire
Speaking of our one-pocket rules. I thought it was decided that a ball made on the break requires a re-rack?
We haven't changed the written official rules yet -- that would require a vote. But for our member tournaments I believe we have adopted rack your own, if you make a ball on the break then it is a re-rack.

tucson9ball

Verified Member
From
Tucson Arizona
It's pretty common practice to re-rack if a ball is made on the break.
To the OP.... As long as the cue ball hits a cushion after contacting the rack, it's a legal break. I haven't played where an object ball has to hit a rail.

lll

Verified Member
From
vero beach fl
We haven't changed the written official rules yet -- that would require a vote. But for our member tournaments I believe we have adopted rack your own, if you make a ball on the break then it is a re-rack.
i couldnt figure out how to quote the posts above
but as for the official onepocket rules i think it should stay optional

NH Steve

Administrator
From
New Hampshire
i couldnt figure out how to quote the posts above
but as for the official onepocket rules i think it should stay optional
Here you go larry:

forum help 2019-12-31 08_25_17.jpg