Rule question from the Derby City Classic

Fatboy

Verified Member
From
Vegas & LA
respect to Roy and John. It sucks when funny things happen in pool, life for that matter. I'm just glad that everyone is cool about it, it still sucks. But its behind everyone, and like Cotton said in his book "Whats gonna happen next?, whats around the next corner?".

best

fatboy :)

Cowboy Dennis

Verified Member
From
Detroit,Michigan
I posted this over at AZBilliards during the DCC, but would like to get yours opinion on this.

This is two posts, the last one is more clear about what happened:

DCC sucks bigtime right now
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Well, I am here at the Derby City Classic 2009, have been travelling for 24 hours from Norway just to get here to play my favourit game of One Pocket in the worlds biggest One Pocket tournament, and then I do the most stupid mistake ever!

"I'm a loser baby, so why don't you kill me" is the tune that keeps playing in my head right now...

I played the One Pocket tournament this morning, and the luck of the draw made me play John Brumback, the 2009 Bank Pool Champion.

I started out good on my break, and made him do two fouls, and at one time he needed 10 balls and I only like 4, I think. I had an open table, but dogged it, and he ended up winning the first rack.

The next rack lasted very long, with many safeties, but John grabbed that rack too, so now I was down 2-0.

I kept on doing the stuff JoeyA teached me last night, and I played smarter than before, but aggressive when I finally got a chance, and I took the next rack to make it 2-1 to John.

In the next rack I found a four ball combination in the pack and hit it with solid draw, and got a wide open table. I ran 8 and out on him, with position to keep on running 10-11-12 balls.

I racked the balls, and when I had finished racking we noticed that I owed a ball, and should have ran 9 balls.

Tournament director made me lose the game on forfeit, and then lose the match 3-1 instead of 2-2 and my break.

I have done many tournaments myself, and would probably have made the same call myself. There is only one person to blame here, and that's me...

But it still sucks, especially since I have used my buyback and is now out of the one-pocket...

Post 2, answer to the following question: Who ended the game prematurely?" Did you start raking balls and pulling balls from pockets or did John get out of the chair (essentially conceding the rack) and move to begin the next game?

Not a stupid question at all. It was actually a part of the discussion we had with the referee/tournament director.

After I pocketed the last ball I walked back and checked for sure that I had made 8 balls, then I moved the balls over the lights (which we use to keep score).

He got out of the chair, walked back to the end of the table, looked at the 8 balls I had made and walked back to his chair. At the same time I raked the balls and started racking.

When I finished racking we both noticed the coin near my pocket, at the same time.

Because neither of us didn't realize the foul before the racking was done, I asked the referee to let us play the last game one more time.

The referee's reply was that if John agreed to play it again, we could do that. Of course John didn't want to do that, and I am of the opinion that the referee should never even have given that option to John.

Roy Steffensen 1-24-2012 on A-Z Billiards said:
At my first DCC I played Brumback in one-pocket, and ran 8-and-out to make it 2-2 and my break. I collected the balls, realized I owed a ball, and we called the TD and he said I lost the game, and lost the match 3-1 instead.

Now Darren did the SAME on the TV-table. They replace the balls, and continue playing.

It should have been automatically loss of game for him too... Is it because he is a world champ?

Roy,

You've got to be the biggest crybaby ever in pocket billiards history.

For anyone who cares: http://forums.azbilliards.com/showthread.php?t=261601

Dennis

Last edited:

Cowboy Dennis

Verified Member
From
Detroit,Michigan
Mistakes is a high price to pay for a mistake.

Through all of our arguments and disagreements and, yes, sometimes hard feelings, I must say that I've always respected Artie's ability to make a point, however awkwardly:D.

AB, I hope your family is O.K. and your book is written and you rejoin us soon. I, for one, miss you and your common sense.

Dennis

lll

Verified Member
From
vero beach fl
Through all of our arguments and disagreements and, yes, sometimes hard feelings, I must say that I've always respected Artie's ability to make a point, however awkwardly:D.

AB, I hope your family is O.K. and your book is written and you rejoin us soon. I, for one, miss you and your common sense.

Dennis

Dennis
you forgot to mention one of arties best traits......;):D
being succinct:heh
artie
seriously
im glad your family troubles have gotten better and no question i miss your posts and hope you will come back "HOME"
:)

Last edited:

Roy Steffensen

Verified Member
Roy,

You've got to be the biggest crybaby ever in pocket billiards history.

For anyone who cares: http://forums.azbilliards.com/showthread.php?t=261601

Dennis

I am a crybaby, when I have not anywhere in any of my posts blamed any other than myself for this? Have I blamed John? Or the ref, Ken? No one other than myself.

The reason I posted this was because I was watching the one-pocket match between Darren and Jason, and people had complained about world champions/great players got a "slack" on some rules like dresscode, being put on clock etc. Some even mentioned that Scott Frost got a favourable ruling in a bank-match, which was against the rules, just at this years DCC, and right there another favourable ruling happened to a great player.

I have heard so many stories of great players being treated different than us bangers at the DCC, and I didn't start that thread to cry over my own match years ago. I just used that as an example because it was relevant to what Darren did. He should have lost that game on what he did, just like I did. Could it be that it didn't happen because he is who he is?

What on earth would I gain by whining over my own mistake?

Scrzbill

Verified Member
From
Eagles Rest, Wa
You van't call a foul on me

You van't call a foul on me

This reminds me of the whole, "you can't call a foul on me mentality of win at any cost." It's chickenship bullship.
I don't call telling a story of how someone gave up a game being a "crybaby". If one player has conceded the game, it's over, no matter what the count. It happened many times at this years DCC and no one came back afterwards and said, "I take back my surrender".
The story told me the TD made a mistake of penalizing the wrong player after the fact. The player who gained from the error had a chance to do the right thing after he conceded, but didn't. He didn't even do the gentleman thing by replaying. Its no wonder people are leaving pool.
I do know that when the Beard, Bill, JRHendy, Ghost played, anyone playing would call a foul and that was even on themselves. As top players representing many years of pool excellence, that kind of dishonesty was no where to be found. Yes, I said dishonest because I could not ever let myself do this to anyone else and look in the mirror afterwards. If you can............:sorry

Cowboy Dennis

Verified Member
From
Detroit,Michigan
I am a crybaby, when I have not anywhere in any of my posts blamed any other than myself for this? Have I blamed John? Or the ref, Ken? No one other than myself.

The reason I posted this was because I was watching the one-pocket match between Darren and Jason, and people had complained about world champions/great players got a "slack" on some rules like dresscode, being put on clock etc. Some even mentioned that Scott Frost got a favourable ruling in a bank-match, which was against the rules, just at this years DCC, and right there another favourable ruling happened to a great player.

I have heard so many stories of great players being treated different than us bangers at the DCC, and I didn't start that thread to cry over my own match years ago. I just used that as an example because it was relevant to what Darren did. He should have lost that game on what he did, just like I did. Could it be that it didn't happen because he is who he is?

What on earth would I gain by whining over my own mistake?

Roy,

Yes, you are a crybaby. First of all you started this thread on 2-3-2009. Two days later I posted my first reply to you. You ignored every post I made to you.

Now, after almost three years to the day you finally have something to say to me? You have only wanted to correspond with people who felt sorry for you and told you that the ref was wrong in your match with John Brumback.

You were looking for a rule that would help you, that's why you called the referee over isn't it? You got sympathy from many in this thread but none from me. I maintained that if you racked the balls without having made the required amount then you lose the game. Game over, match over, and don't call the ref over to try to mitigate your error. You had a coin on the rail by your pocket, it was your duty to make 9 balls, you failed in your duty and looked for an out from the ref.

Now you are comparing that incident to this other one and saying that "top players" get breaks from the refs. Maybe they do, I don't know.

Why entitle this thread "Rule question from the Derby City Classic" if you weren't looking for a rule that would've helped your cause? You were looking for sympathy and maybe a rule that would help you out or make you feel better.

I also see, after reading the entire thread on A-Z that you started, some people have said that what happened to Appleton was different than what you did playing John. I don't know and I don't care.

I also believe that all players should be treated the same in a tournament setting and if they aren't then there should be recourse. Of course, there's no recourse because nobody cares about pool. The only thing you can do is boycott the tournaments or keep complaining everytime a ref makes a poor or unfair decision.

Dennis

Deeman

Verified Member
I have found that counting the balls and looking at any coins laying on the rail is not that tough for even an average player. Worrying about it for months or even years is harder to believe.

TheClamp

Roy........ pay Cowboy Douche no mind. You were playing, he wasn't but probably groping him self in front of his computer:lol

TheClamp

just calling a spade a spade. For the most part folks on here are intelligent and respectful. I find it amusing how you have taken the liberty of labeling me as a "Forum reject"
:lol hehe are you like the sheriff around here skippy ??

androd

Verified Member
From
New Braunfels tx.
It is always up to you as the player to be aware of the circumstances at the time! I have always been a believer in the old saying YOU SNOOZE-YOU LOSE...:sorry

As a girl I knew, who mixed metaphors said. 'If you snooze you lose,
if you snore you lose a lot" :)
Rod.

Jimmy B

Verified Member
just calling a spade a spade. For the most part folks on here are intelligent and respectful. I find it amusing how you have taken the liberty of labeling me as a "Forum reject"
:lol hehe are you like the sheriff around here skippy ??

I just want to say one thing to you. I do not like people who talk abusive to others who disagree with them. I also hate folks who use vulgar or profane language. It is a sign of immaturity and extreme ignorance. I detest posters who might call anyone else a name for disagreeing with their opinions. And anyone who doesn't go along with my beliefs are nothing but no good ****ing shit asses. Ok ?/ ok...........