Ronnie O'Sullivan playing One Pocket!

NH Steve

Administrator
From
New Hampshire
Someone posted this on AZ -- the great Snooker player O'Sullivan posted a couple photos and comments about One Pocket!! That is really neat to see -- I hope it goes somewhere further with him...

This is his Twitter page if any of you are on Twitter, or better yet, connected to him on Twitter: https://twitter.com/ronnieo147

Attachments

• 2016-07-02 10_47_39-Greenshot.jpg
    2016-07-02 10_47_39-Greenshot.jpg
    205.2 KB · Views: 0

lll

Verified Member
From
vero beach fl
I'd definately watch Ronnie play some one pocket, who do you think he could fairly match up with?

He wouldn't have a chance with Henderson, Matchin, Cardone, Wirth or Hacker. And Bernie P. would have the poor guy talking to himself.:)

~Doc

i think he would be like any really good shooter with not alot of 1p experience
however given a shot i bet he could run a few....:D
also long shots are not so long to him...:eek:
doc i think ronnie already talks to himself without any help......:heh

Bill

Verified Member
From
Washington DC
Someone posted this on AZ -- the great Snooker player O'Sullivan posted a couple photos and comments about One Pocket!! That is really neat to see -- I hope it goes somewhere further with him...

This is his Twitter page if any of you are on Twitter, or better yet, connected to him on Twitter: https://twitter.com/ronnieo147

A player of his calibre speaking well of our game will only take it further

Super Interesting :) thanks for posting

He did play 9ball for awhile but couldn't manage the bigger and heavier balls, my conclusion anyway. Probably couldn't spend much time on a new and different
game that had so little money involved. But if the best-ever Snooker player did?

Maybe he joins the site? :) OnePocket is ascending ...

kicker

Verified Member
Ronnie O'Sullivan playing One Pocket!

Maybe he'll shoot a 147 in one pocket someday. If anyone can it's him.

unoperro

Verified Member
He wouldn't have a chance with Henderson, Matchin, Cardone, Wirth or Hacker. And Bernie P. would have the poor guy talking to himself.:)

~Doc

As for moving,Snooker by its very definition:sorry

Ronnie doesnt like slow play(no one does),but I would bet he can play with anyone.;)

Miller

Verified Member
From
East St. Louis Area

~Doc

agreed.

As for moving,Snooker by its very definition:sorry

Ronnie doesnt like slow play(no one does),but I would bet he can play with anyone.;)

playing with large lively pool balls, super fast cloth and rails, not hitting most everything center ball, etc.....

if he decides to apply himself to the game, image he can be world class (but i think only in time if he sticks with it).

:)

(then again, steve davis wasn't supposed to be able to make the adjustments to play straight pool....he did just freakishly fine....:eek:)

bobt64

Verified Member
From
Green Valley, AZ
Another aspect is banking, can't say he can't bank but you really don't see a lot
of banking in snooker especially at his level. Also the safeties are a bit different and remember in snooker you don't have to hit a rail for a shot to be legal.

cincy_kid

Verified Member
From
Cincinnati, OH
This reminds me of the post I made months ago wondering if Ronnie matched up against some of the best 1p players and playing on a snooker table, how would he do... :)

On a regular 4x9 table though, I agree, I dont think he would have much of a chance vs some of the better players. It's great to see he is showing an interest though and would be awesome if he could help build the following of this fantastic game!

NH Steve

Administrator
From
New Hampshire
Another aspect is banking, can't say he can't bank but you really don't see a lot
of banking in snooker especially at his level. Also the safeties are a bit different and remember in snooker you don't have to hit a rail for a shot to be legal.

You do see some because of the difficulty of making a ball down the rail into a corner.

bobt64

Verified Member
From
Green Valley, AZ
You do see some because of the difficulty of making a ball down the rail into a corner.

Right, down the rail shots are tricky. another thing is the break is quite a bit different. Ronnie would need to pickup some new skills real fast to be competative.

gulfportdoc

Verified Member
From
Gulfport, Mississippi
It's interesting to speculate. Just about any excellent snooker player can quickly become a good rotation game player. Look at the two UK ladies who switched to pool. And Bernie P. was a fine snooker player before taking up pool. There were also a few guys from the past.

The shot making is much easier at pool than at snooker. It's like going from a 9' pool table to a bar box. So after learning the subtle differences between the two cuesports, then it's just a question of learning the strategy at 1P. Presumably it wouldn't take too much longer for a top snooker player to learn 1P than it does a good rotation player. Lots of top 9-ballers picked up 1P within a few years.

Of course O'Sullivan is presumably a snooker millionaire, so he's not going to spend a lot of time on one-pocket. But if he did.......:cool:

~Doc

petie

Verified Member
From
Citrus Springs, FL
I'd definately watch Ronnie play some one pocket, who do you think he could fairly match up with?

Me. Trust me, he and I could fairly match up. This is the beauty of One Pocket. Anybody can match up with anybody. If you doubt this, I think I can prove it to you.

bobt64

Verified Member
From
Green Valley, AZ
So speculation is one thing but until it happens we really don't know how it would go. All that said I still would be interested in watching him play, finding the right person to play against might be difficult, against a top tier player it could get ugly IMO.

petie

Verified Member
From
Citrus Springs, FL
"Matching up" means something totally different than "playing even." I think you mean you would like to see how he did playing other players "even."