Reyes vs. Varner 1999 D.C.C. Shot #2

Cowboy Dennis

Verified Member
From
Detroit,Michigan
lll said:
dennis in your opinion when faced with the choice above which shot do you think is better.
Larry, I don't know which shot I'd call "better". Neither one are great. I'd shoot the 1 in if it laid right to get the cueball down by the 15.

Dennis

jtompilot

Verified Member
From
New Orleans
It doesnt look like the angle is right to make the 1 and get the q behind the 15. Other wise Varner would have shot that. The 1 ball bank would have been huch harder if the 15 was shot shofter to leave the Q on the rail.

sappo

Verified Member
From
Tucson AZ
Im not being defensive here but i still beleive pocketing the 1 ball and sliding the cue ball down to below the 15 is the correct shot. Certainly better than the shot Nick executed. It sounds like a lot of our members feel the shot is to difficult, my reply is Nick could execute that shot over and over again. If he thought it was a dead scratch then he could simply pocketed the 1 ball and rolled the cue ball just short of the pocket and Efrin still would not have a shot. Were talking about one of the best players of the game and he certainly had the skills to play this shot. My guess is he made a bad decision kicking the 15 and leaving the 1 ball. Sappo

Cowboy Dennis

Verified Member
From
Detroit,Michigan
sappo said:
Im not being defensive here but i still beleive pocketing the 1 ball and sliding the cue ball down to below the 15 is the correct shot. Certainly better than the shot Nick executed. It sounds like a lot of our members feel the shot is to difficult, my reply is Nick could execute that shot over and over again. If he thought it was a dead scratch then he could simply pocketed the 1 ball and rolled the cue ball just short of the pocket and Efrin still would not have a shot. Were talking about one of the best players of the game and he certainly had the skills to play this shot. My guess is he made a bad decision kicking the 15 and leaving the 1 ball. Sappo
Sappo,

I'd shoot the 1 in the side if it laid right, as I wrote. Don't forget that it may not lay right, the camera skews the view of these layouts sometimes.

Dennis

Cornerman

Verified Member
From
Carlsbad, CA
Cowboy Dennis said:
Larry, I don't know which shot I'd call "better". Neither one are great. I'd shoot the 1 in if it laid right to get the cueball down by the 15.

Dennis
I think Nick would have also. How long did he stare at the 1-ball before going for the kick on the 15? The 1-ball from the TV angle looks like there's no way to hit it and get good.

Fred <~~~ knows the TV misleading angles

Cowboy Dennis

Verified Member
From
Detroit,Michigan
Cornerman said:
I think Nick would have also. How long did he stare at the 1-ball before going for the kick on the 15? The 1-ball from the TV angle looks like there's no way to hit it and get good.

Fred <~~~ knows the TV misleading angles
Cornerman,

It's been a couple of days since I watched it but I don't remember Nick looking at the 1 ball at all. I'm guessing that it was a couple of inches past the side pocket and therefore not a good way to play safe.

Oh no, I said "therefore", if I say "reposition", please send the medics:) .

Dennis

Cornerman

Verified Member
From
Carlsbad, CA
Cowboy Dennis said:
Cornerman,

It's been a couple of days since I watched it but I don't remember Nick looking at the 1 ball at all. I'm guessing that it was a couple of inches past the side pocket and therefore not a good way to play safe.

Oh no, I said "therefore", if say "reposition", please send the medics:) .

Dennis
That's what I figured. It looks impossible from the TV angle shown, so if he didn't look at it too long, it confirms that the angle wasn't there.

I like lagging under and to the 15, but that passive crap doesn't win against good players.

Fred

Cowboy Dennis

Verified Member
From
Detroit,Michigan
Cornerman said:
That's what I figured. It looks impossible from the TV angle shown, so if he didn't look at it too long, it confirms that the angle wasn't there.

I like lagging under and to the 15, but that passive crap doesn't win against good players.

Fred
Cornerman,

I just looked at the shot on the DVD. Varner never looked at the 1 ball at all. It took him about 10 seconds to decide to kick behind the 15.

Dennis

wincardona

Verified Member
From
Dallas Tx.
Bad execution.

Bad execution.

He must of had a bad angle on the one ball that suggested a scratch was inevitable, and the only way of avoiding the scratch was to overcut the one. The problem he had with over cutting the one ball was that there wasn't a guarantee that he could safe up the one, or fall underneath the 15 ball. I believe that he tried to take an intentional and inadvertently struck the one ball.

He had a case of bad execution.:eek: Trust me, i'm a doctor.

Billy I.

Cowboy Dennis

Verified Member
From
Detroit,Michigan
wincardona said:
He must of had a bad angle on the one ball that suggested a scratch was inevitable, and the only way of avoiding the scratch was to overcut the one. The problem he had with over cutting the one ball was that there wasn't a guarantee that he could safe up the one, or fall underneath the 15 ball. I believe that he tried to take an intentional and inadvertently struck the one ball.

He had a case of bad execution.:eek: Trust me, i'm a doctor.

Billy I.
Bill,

Read post #19.

Dennis