Reyes vs. Varner 1999 D.C.C. Shot #2

Cowboy Dennis

Verified Member
From
Detroit,Michigan
Same game as last Varner/Reyes thread. Efren played safe off the 1 ball and left Varner this layout. Would you shoot the 1 ball and roll down behind the 15 or kick softly at the 15 and leave the 1 ball for a possible bank? Would you do something different?

Efrens Safety.jpg

NH Steve

Administrator
From
New Hampshire
I can't tell for sure, but it looks like Varner can see the 6-ball cleanly -- so I'd be looking at using it to take out those near balls by Reyes' pocket -- hitting it harder than it looks like in my pic

Attachments

• Greenshot_2010-11-19_11-43-26.jpg
    Greenshot_2010-11-19_11-43-26.jpg
    51.7 KB · Views: 0

Skin

Verified Member
androd said:
I believe I'd try to clean house from here. :p
Rod.

I'm going with da man, Rod, on this also.

btw, Rod, all of these ball-clearing shots of yours that look like what happened during the first milliseconds of the universe coming into creation :) , have opened my mind. I've been working harder on finding the ones that can be controlled and darned if they aren't there a lot more often than I saw before. Gracias!

[Atom smasher] Skin

androd

Verified Member
From
New Braunfels tx.
NH Steve said:
Yeah, like that :)

Steve, Looks like we're twins. I was born 2 minutes earlier.(I wish):D LOL
Rod.

skin said:
Rod, all of these ball-clearing shots of yours that look like what happened during the first milliseconds of the universe coming into creation , have opened my mind. I've been working harder on finding the ones that can be controlled and darned if they aren't there a lot more often than I saw before. Gracias!

[Atom smasher] Skin

Thanks for the kind words.;)
Rod.

Cowboy Dennis

Verified Member
From
Detroit,Michigan
androd said:
I believe I'd try to clean house from here. :p
Rod.

I"m not sure if this shot was possible or not. There is no other view of it before balls are disturbed. I would think that co-commentator Billy Incardona would have mentioned this shot as a possibility, if indeed it was. He did not mention it at all. The camera does lie to us with distance & angles making something look like one thing and then maybe an overhead view makes it look completely different. Sorry, no overhead here:( .

Suffice to say that Nick did not shoot this pocket-clearing shot.

Dennis

ace

Verified Member
From
Longview, Tx
I might try kicking the cb with alot of draw into the 15 ball. The cb should lay down on the rail, (Chicago Mike showed this shot to me).

Attachments

• Reyes vs. Varner 1999 D.C.C. Shot #2 - OnePocket.jpg
    Reyes vs. Varner 1999 D.C.C. Shot #2 - OnePocket.jpg
    52.3 KB · Views: 0

Cowboy Dennis

Verified Member
From
Detroit,Michigan
ace said:
I might try kicking the cb with alot of draw into the 15 ball. The cb should lay down on the rail, (Chicago Mike showed this shot to me).
Ace,

You would have to hit the 15 perfect(dead in the face) to not scratch in the corner on that shot. Nice line drawing though:) .

Dennis

Cowboy Dennis

Verified Member
From
Detroit,Michigan
Cowboy Dennis said:
I"m not sure if this shot was possible or not. There is no other view of it before balls are disturbed. I would think that co-commentator Billy Incardona would have mentioned this shot as a possibility, if indeed it was. He did not mention it at all. The camera does lie to us with distance & angles making something look like one thing and then maybe an overhead view makes it look completely different. Sorry, no overhead here:( .

Suffice to say that Nick did not shoot this pocket-clearing shot.

Dennis
Given what I wrote above, does anybody care to tell what they would shoot here? Assume the 6 ball can't be hit. Varner did shoot the 1 or the 15, which one would you shoot?
Efrens Safety.jpg

NH Steve

Administrator
From
New Hampshire
Cowboy Dennis said:
Given what I wrote above, does anybody care to tell what they would shoot here? Assume the 6 ball can't be hit. Varner did shoot the 1 or the 15, which one would you shoot?
View attachment 1735
I would be concerned about the scratch angle shooting the 1-ball, so I believe I would kick at the 15 lightly. Whether I played at the 1 or the 15 I'd be trying to leave the cue ball in the same area, behind the 15. Getting there just seems easier off the 15 -- yet it does leave a full length bank.

Since you've been featuring mistakes recently -- s'pose Varner scratched off of the 1?

Cowboy Dennis

Verified Member
From
Detroit,Michigan
NH Steve said:
Since you've been featuring mistakes recently -- s'pose Varner scratched off of the 1?
No he didn't make a mistake here, I am going to be posting some more "mistakes" shots but they will be labeled as such.

I just think this shot choice here is one of the essential choices in one-pocket. If you shoot the 1 you leave the 15 by Efrens pocket. If you kick the 15 you leave the 1 ball bank. This choice repeats itself through all the years of playing one-pocket.

Dennis

sappo

Verified Member
From
Tucson AZ
pocket the 1 ball

pocket the 1 ball

Dennis, i would pocket the 1 ball and run the cue abll down behind the 15. by pocketing the 1 ball you leave no shot on it for efrin. Sappo

sappo

Verified Member
From
Tucson AZ
pocket the 1 ball

pocket the 1 ball

Dennis, by pocketing the 1 ball you take a key ball on his side away from him. While the 15 ball is still by his pocket he his no shot on it at this point and you are in much better position than you were after the break. I feel the one pocket is like football where "field position" is a key aspect of winning. Sometimes that advantage of position has to come bit by bit and this shot is a good example of that concetp. Sappo

ace

Verified Member
From
Longview, Tx
OK....A simple shot with no fear of scratching...LOL

Attachments

• Reyes vs. Varner 1999 D.C.C. Shot #2  again - OnePocket.jpg
    Reyes vs. Varner 1999 D.C.C. Shot #2 again - OnePocket.jpg
    50 KB · Views: 0

lll

Verified Member
From
vero beach fl
Cowboy Dennis said:
No he didn't make a mistake here, I am going to be posting some more "mistakes" shots but they will be labeled as such.

I just think this shot choice here is one of the essential choices in one-pocket. If you shoot the 1 you leave the 15 by Efrens pocket. If you kick the 15 you leave the 1 ball bank. This choice repeats itself through all the years of playing one-pocket.

Dennis
dennis in your opinion when faced with the choice above which shot do you think is better. obviosly varner went with the fifteen.
sappo liked the 1 as did myself for the same reasons
also getting rid of a bankable ball because more than likely you will be putting the q ball near efrens pocket several times in the beginning of the match and the bankable balll will be there to haunt you unless you move it.
anyone else who would like to say which shot they prefer and why please do
your comments are welcome.
ace your post #17 is the shot i like