Reyes/Smith - wwyd

Mkbtank

Verified Member
It's Your shot. You are leading the game 7-6. Your pocket is bottom left.

Wwyd??

petie

Verified Member
If your Larry Landsman or Preacher Ron you probably kick to rails to the top of the top of the 3 ball sending it off of his long rail across corner to your pocket. Me, I think that I would shoot the one ball down the rail to hit between the 3 and the rail simultaneously which should clear both balls and follow with the cue ball all the way to the end rail.

PoolDawg

I am still new to the game. I just set this up on my table and hit it pretty sporty. My lines might be off, but I am sure you get the point. The cue ball and the 3 stayed together, he would have to push the 3 out.

If I felt like I was hitting them like a rock star, could try to 3 rail the 1 and leave the cue on the bottom rail by the 3, but I would probably sell out faster then a $2 hooker...

-PD

Attachments

PoolDawg

If your Larry Landsman or Preacher Ron you probably kick to rails to the top of the top of the 3 ball sending it off of his long rail across corner to your pocket. Me, I think that I would shoot the one ball down the rail to hit between the 3 and the rail simultaneously which should clear both balls and follow with the cue ball all the way to the end rail.
Man.. That would be SICK! I guess I played it too safe...I am def not advanced enough to take it to that level! Lol! Now I gotta go try it!

-PD

Mkbtank

Verified Member
Reyes/Smith - wwyd

Man.. That would be SICK! I guess I played it too safe...I am def not advanced enough to take it to that level! Lol! Now I gotta go try it!

-PD

Hey PoolDawg... This is the shot that Pete is referring to. What an out!

https://youtu.be/63itJ9RCnks

But we digress..... Or do we... 😊

Last edited:

cincy_kid

Verified Member
I like Petie's shot but if the 3 is too close to the rail it may double kiss the 1 and could leave a ball there by the pocket. What I may do instead is shoot the 1 into the right side of the 3 ball taking them both out and follow the CB down to the end rail.

Also, welcome to the forums PoolDawg!

Wow, what an out Mitch!

Tom Wirth

Verified Member
What are my chances of getting out of this trap without losing the game by playing some form of safety? The obvious shot would be to drive the one between the rail and the three, clearing both balls. I think it is safe to say that this shot will likely result in at least selling out a bank of some kind regardless of what I choose to do with the cue ball. How strong a player is my opponent? Can I afford to give up a shot which could result in my losing the game by taking this purely defensive choice? Should I play through the one and attempt to get the cue ball to the foot rail or should I draw the cue ball to the head rail hoping to at least leave my opponent long. This would probably be my choice. That or playing for the win and cutting the one.

And what about this offensive shot? Maybe with this cut shot I can also play the cue ball two rails to the center of the foot rail. What are my odds of making this shot or leaving the cue ball on the foot rail? And if I were to miss it, how would I best like to miss; over-cut or under-cut? And at what speed should I shoot this shot? Can I envision a way to leave the one in a less than ideal location making it difficult for my opponent to get both balls?

These are some of the thoughts that would go through my mind before pulling the trigger on this one.

Tom

Cory in dc

Verified Member
What are my chances of getting out of this trap without losing the game by playing some form of safety? The obvious shot would be to drive the one between the rail and the three, clearing both balls. I think it is safe to say that this shot will likely result in at least selling out a bank of some kind regardless of what I choose to do with the cue ball. How strong a player is my opponent? Can I afford to give up a shot which could result in my losing the game by taking this purely defensive choice? Should I play through the one and attempt to get the cue ball to the foot rail or should I draw the cue ball to the head rail hoping to at least leave my opponent long. This would probably be my choice. That or playing for the win and cutting the one.

And what about this offensive shot? Maybe with this cut shot I can also play the cue ball two rails to the center of the foot rail. What are my odds of making this shot or leaving the cue ball on the foot rail? And if I were to miss it, how would I best like to miss; over-cut or under-cut? And at what speed should I shoot this shot? Can I envision a way to leave the one in a less than ideal location making it difficult for my opponent to get both balls?

These are some of the thoughts that would go through my mind before pulling the trigger on this one.

Tom
I thought I would be the only one to propose shooting it. The safe and the shot are about equally difficult, so I'm shooting with speed to get the cueball to the footrail but putting 99.5% of my focus on making the 1.

gulfportdoc

Verified Member
Ditto. Only needing one, I personally would kick two rails at the 3 ball in order to knock it away. It's an easy kick.

However Danny might simply cut in the 1 ball. If he uses left english it helps the shot, and also kicks the CB down near the foot rail where the 3 is not makeable in return. He might not need the outside english.

~Doc

jtompilot

Verified Member
I need two balls against Warren Kiamco at Derby, so I played a three rail shot to try and win the game. I missed the shot and left Warren much tougher than this wwyd. Of course he cut the ball splitting the cup and I lost

lll

Verified Member
Hey PoolDawg... This is the shot that Pete is referring to. What an out!

https://youtu.be/63itJ9RCnks

But we digress..... Or do we... 😊
i am glad there are no videos of me hitting that shot
this way i can stay undercover....:p...:rolleyes:...:D
petie thanks for putting me in the same category as preacher ron...:confused:

lll

Verified Member
i am sure danny cut the the one in and left the cue ball on the foot rail
what would i do ??????
ask petie.....:D

1pwannabe

Verified Member
I would probably shoot the 1 using low outside, pocket speed, trying to bring the cue ball back to the head rail to freeze it there. If you make the 1 you win. If you hang it he'll have to scratch behind it. If you miss it (over cut is better here) he'll have that long shot off the rail on the 3 with tough position after.

If the angle were slightly better, I'd follow the 1 down with whitey to get on the foot rail, that's the normal shot in these scenarios.

Danny is a favorite to make the 1. Curious to know what he did.

Mkbtank

Verified Member
Reyes/Smith - wwyd

I would probably shoot the 1 using low outside, pocket speed, trying to bring the cue ball back to the head rail to freeze it there. If you make the 1 you win. If you hang it he'll have to scratch behind it. If you miss it (over cut is better here) he'll have that long shot off the rail on the 3 with tough position after.

If the angle were slightly better, I'd follow the 1 down with whitey to get on the foot rail, that's the normal shot in these scenarios.

Danny is a favorite to make the 1. Curious to know what he did.

I like that shot too 1P1b.

I shot the combo takeout in a match the other day... And naturally fired the downtable ball (the 3 in this pic) right into my opponents hole 😡.

As for Danny Smith.... He cut the 1 ball to his hole. Naturally he split the wicket and won the game.

1pwannabe

Verified Member

I shot the combo takeout in a match the other day... And naturally fired the downtable ball (the 3 in this pic) right into my opponents hole 😡.

As for Danny Smith.... He cut the 1 ball to his hole. Naturally he split the wicket and won the game.
Yeah, I never hit these combo takeouts well so I shy away from them.

Did Danny take care of whitey or did he just shoot all out to make it?

LSJohn

Verified Member

I thought he could have sent whitey to the foot rail without reducing his make %, but apparently he disagreed because he left CB just below the spot.

Mkbtank

Verified Member
Reyes/Smith - wwyd

Yeah, I never hit these combo takeouts well so I shy away from them.

Did Danny take care of whitey or did he just shoot all out to make it?

I think he was trying to get to the foot rail but 90% on making the ball. He drained it and did not get to the foot rail. He would have left Effie a shot if he had missed.