Request for reconsideration

lll

Verified Member
From
vero beach fl
shannon beat out cliff by ONE vote
we have have had multiple winners in the past
perhaps the board of deciders could have a meeting and decide if we should have 2 winners this year
i was a strong backer for shannon
and voted for cliff and shannon
from the comments cliff was number 2 after efren for along time and gambled(and bit:eek:) like crazy
do you think its time to also honor cliff or wait until he wins the most votes
just askin
and hoping you let cliff in
larry

fred bentivegna

Verified Member
From
chicago illinois
shannon beat out cliff by ONE vote
we have have had multiple winners in the past
perhaps the board of deciders could have a meeting and decide if we should have 2 winners this year
i was a strong backer for shannon
and voted for cliff and shannon
from the comments cliff was number 2 after efren for along time and gambled(and bit:eek:) like crazy
do you think its time to also honor cliff or wait until he wins the most votes
just askin
and hoping you let cliff in
larry

That is not the worst idea I ever heard. I know a few people that didnt know voting was going to close and would have voted for Cliff -- Artie B for one. Champagne for another. etc., etc. Was there a notification that voting was going to end? If so I certainly didnt see it.

Beard

tylerdurden

Verified Member
I wont go on and on about this, I respect all the players on the ballot so much, but I think we should take a great model -- like the baseball hall of fame -- and try to follow in their footsteps. I wont go into who I voted for, but it was more in keeping with a tradition like baseball has. I can say one thing for certain: vote and stick by the results. You may want to change the way we vote in the future (not knocking it, just saying maybe), but it degrades the award a little imo when the results are questioned. I mean it should be a done deal after the results, however they are obtained.

lll

Verified Member
From
vero beach fl
That is not the worst idea I ever heard. I know a few people that didnt know voting was going to close and would have voted for Cliff -- Artie B for one. Champagne for another. etc., etc. Was there a notification that voting was going to end? If so I certainly didnt see it.

Beard

I wont go on and on about this, I respect all the players on the ballot so much, but I think we should take a great model -- like the baseball hall of fame -- and try to follow in their footsteps. I wont go into who I voted for, but it was more in keeping with a tradition like baseball has. I can say one thing for certain: vote and stick by the results. You may want to change the way we vote in the future (not knocking it, just saying maybe), but it degrades the award a little imo when the results are questioned. I mean it should be a done deal after the results, however they are obtained.
freddy
the end of the voting was on top of the scorecard although not promenently
presented
tyler
in the hall of fame(baseball) voting there is a certain percentage you have to cross to get in
so the number of in ductees can vary each year
this years voting cliff and shannon both got a majority
just sayin

lll

Verified Member
From
vero beach fl
this has nothing to do with my thread...:eek:
but its a cute story
i recently bought a cue from a cue dealer
as we were discusing our pool history he told me about where he was from
and as a yungin he thought he was great
so he went on the road
went to detroit
went traveling to detroit
after that
he thought every pool room had a corn bread red
and people with $100,000 dollars in their pocket....:eek:.....:D
and realized he wasnt so great:eek:

NH Steve

Administrator
From
New Hampshire
I actually extended the voting several days both for the One Pocket and the Banks because I had a temporary glich sending out my usual reminder notice to members to get out the vote, which Calired helped me fix. The end date & time is always posted with the poll.

Cliff is a great candidate -- and will certainly be the favorite next year!

tylerdurden

Verified Member
freddy
the end of the voting was on top of the scorecard although not promenently
presented
tyler
in the hall of fame(baseball) voting there is a certain percentage you have to cross to get in
so the number of in ductees can vary each year
this years voting cliff and shannon both got a majority
just sayin

Well, that sounds great then, to me. Problem is baseball probably has more potential players to induct than pool, for whatever reason. But yes, decide on something, perhaps based on a system that has proven to work very well, and stick with it.

I personally don't like the impromptu decisions, it should all be cut and dry. But that is just what I think. It doesn't have to be rocket science I guess.

lll

Verified Member
From
vero beach fl
I actually extended the voting several days both for the One Pocket and the Banks because I had a temporary glich sending out my usual reminder notice to members to get out the vote, which Calired helped me fix. The end date & time is always posted with the poll.

Cliff is a great candidate -- and will certainly be the favorite next year!

i guess the reconsideration is over
shannon no question is a very deserving inductee
good luck to cliff next year

NH Steve

Administrator
From
New Hampshire
Our system

Our system

Well, that sounds great then, to me. Problem is baseball probably has more potential players to induct than pool, for whatever reason. But yes, decide on something, perhaps based on a system that has proven to work very well, and stick with it.

I personally don't like the impromptu decisions, it should all be cut and dry. But that is just what I think. It doesn't have to be rocket science I guess.

In the beginning of our HOF, we had a larger pool of older players and did induct multiple players each year, but for the last few years we have settled on a system. That system is that the one highest vote getter among the living players goes in. For the deceased players (which are on the same ballot, possibly leading to some confusion by voters), I have been using the threshold of deceased players needing to be named on a minimum of 30% of the ballots cast. If we get that, then the highest voted deceased player goes in too. Last year, the One Pocket ended in a tie, so two living players went in. Of course we almost had a tie again this year.

The end of the voting is posted right along with the ballot. The voting usually is set to be up for a minimum of two weeks (this year it was extended a couple of days because of trouble with my last minute reminder email). If the ending is extended, then the new date also shows with the ballot.

Regarding the Lifetime Pool in Action, I have that much more systematic now than it used to be. In the beginning, I just informally got input from my HOF inner circle (mainly Grady & Freddy early on). I have since expanded that group to about 10 members of what is an informal OnePocket.org HOF board of directors. These are all people who have been active in supporting the One Pocket Hall of Fame and they are also knowledgeable pool insiders to a significant degree in my view. They represent a cross section of the current history of pool action across the country, and I would say they all have the respect of their peers. If you have been to our HOF dinner, then you have seen all of them. I do not consider them a secret group, but because I have not specifically asked each of them if they mind being publicly listed, I don't think I will list them now, but I can ask them.

Thank you all for your support & participation in our Hall of Fame process.

Scrzbill

Verified Member
From
Eagles Rest, Wa
If anyone deserves a lifetime recognition for living the one pocket life and gambling, its Cliff. There should be four categories each year.

NH Steve

Administrator
From
New Hampshire
Guys if all the great candidates all got in together it would make my next year easier for me lol I could take it off :)

lll

Verified Member
From
vero beach fl
Guys if all the great candidates all got in together it would make my next year easier for me lol I could take it off :)

steve you definitely deserve to stand up among the other HOF ers
to recieve your recognition
without you and your effort to start and promote 1p.org
there would be no HOF
shouldnt that be enough to get you in???:)
just askin
:D

NH Steve

Administrator
From
New Hampshire
Thanks Larry but the same rules apply to me. You can't even begin to consider me until 2024 -- that's twenty years :)

Just to take the edge off of your concern, I was inducted into the New England Pool & Billiards HOF a couple of years ago. Also, every year at the HOF dinner I get more than my share of thank you's. The most meaningful was her last dinner before Randi Mathews died, she uncharacteristically got up in front of the full HOF dinner crowd and gave me five minutes of very sincere props -- I will never forget that. So in the mean time, I get plenty -- thank you.

PS, would love to see you at DCC... you would have a blast!!

Betdapot

Verified Member
Shannon deserves to be in no doubt but to leave Cliff out is a joke. I have been around the pool scene for around 40 years and a couple on the list don't hold a candle to Cliff as far as onepocket is concerned this guy has lived and breathed this game for over twenty years.

1. Great Players who have demonstrated their excellence in tournament competition over time. (A few guys already inducted never won a thing)

2. After Hours Legends who have demonstrated their excellence and their heart by matching up against the best of their time. (One recent inducted member I never heard of him beating ANYONE for the cash let alone best of his time)

3. Teachers and Promoters who have had a lasting impact on the growth and popularity of the game. (In the 90s and early 2000s when I thought of onepocket Cliff was the name)

Don't get me wrong the hall of fame is a great idea and chock full of well deserving players but a voice of reason must ring out to be honest the election process is just an old boys network. I think it's great that some players get reconized and honored that Joe Bag'o'Donuts may not have knew who they were (great example is Artie I knew he was the real deal when guys like Cookiemonster told me no one in there right mind goes to Chicago looking for him) Some of the people in the hall though seem to have gotten there just by having a great campaigner instead of congradulating the inductees every year we should give kudos to there lobbyists

IMO the guys who should have a vote are the top players because news flash when I read some some threads on some sites about ranking players it makes me laugh. The top players should have a 1/3 vote the internet keyboard jockeys should have a 1/3rd and a veterens commitee should get a 1/3rd (top players from past generations) Anyone concerned that players or veterans would just vote for themselves then set it up like the first world series of poker. They were asked who was the best player and they all voted for themselves, but asked who was the second best player it was one name on all ballots Johnny Moss.

Keep on Lobbying Prob see Johnny Archer in 1pocket hall of fame before Cliff or Clem

Ktown

Verified Member
Shannon deserves to be in no doubt but to leave Cliff out is a joke. I have been around the pool scene for around 40 years and a couple on the list don't hold a candle to Cliff as far as onepocket is concerned this guy has lived and breathed this game for over twenty years.

1. Great Players who have demonstrated their excellence in tournament competition over time. (A few guys already inducted never won a thing)

2. After Hours Legends who have demonstrated their excellence and their heart by matching up against the best of their time. (One recent inducted member I never heard of him beating ANYONE for the cash let alone best of his time)

3. Teachers and Promoters who have had a lasting impact on the growth and popularity of the game. (In the 90s and early 2000s when I thought of onepocket Cliff was the name)

Don't get me wrong the hall of fame is a great idea and chock full of well deserving players but a voice of reason must ring out to be honest the election process is just an old boys network. I think it's great that some players get reconized and honored that Joe Bag'o'Donuts may not have knew who they were (great example is Artie I knew he was the real deal when guys like Cookiemonster told me no one in there right mind goes to Chicago looking for him) Some of the people in the hall though seem to have gotten there just by having a great campaigner instead of congradulating the inductees every year we should give kudos to there lobbyists

IMO the guys who should have a vote are the top players because news flash when I read some some threads on some sites about ranking players it makes me laugh. The top players should have a 1/3 vote the internet keyboard jockeys should have a 1/3rd and a veterens commitee should get a 1/3rd (top players from past generations) Anyone concerned that players or veterans would just vote for themselves then set it up like the first world series of poker. They were asked who was the best player and they all voted for themselves, but asked who was the second best player it was one name on all ballots Johnny Moss.

Keep on Lobbying Prob see Johnny Archer in 1pocket hall of fame before Cliff or Clem

U mad bro?

NH Steve

Administrator
From
New Hampshire

Thank you for your suggestions. Two things I would mention.

One, is that this was Cliff's first year on the ballot -- he'll definitely be back and most likely the big favorite.

Two, I know our election process is not perfect, but it positively includes input from keyboard jockeys, top players from prior generations and voters that would surely constitute a great veteran's committee, so while it may not be equal thirds, all of the above definitely participate. If our process is anything, it is inclusionary.

I believe you can go through all of our inductees, and I am proud to say every one of them is someone that deserves recognition for "their contribution to the legacy of One Pocket." Very soon, that will be Cliff as well and I will be proud to play a role in honoring him. I hope you join us.

backplaying

Verified Member
I would think Cliff will be the nutts next year. Its also fair to say that no one has played as much 1 pocket as Cliff has since about 1990. It would also be safe to say Cliff has been the in the top 3 one pocket player in the states since 1995. Who are the people who vote?

NH Steve

Administrator
From
New Hampshire
I would think Cliff will be the nutts next year. Its also fair to say that no one has played as much 1 pocket as Cliff has since about 1990. It would also be safe to say Cliff has been the in the top 3 one pocket player in the states since 1995. Who are the people who vote?

Us, sir -- the membership here on OnePocket.org from 11-21-12 to 12-8-12.