Racetrack Phil final days

fred bentivegna

Verified Member
From
chicago illinois
My old pal and partner in North Shore Billiards, Racetrack Phil, is on the way out. Liver cancer. Went to visit him thursday. The prognosis is a week, two at the most. Very depressing. He wasnt even awake while we were there.

Beard

petie

Verified Member
From
Citrus Springs, FL
My old pal and partner in North Shore Billiards, Racetrack Phil, is on the way out. Liver cancer. Went to visit him thursday. The prognosis is a week, two at the most. Very depressing. He wasnt even awake while we were there.

Beard

Sorry to hear about Phil, Fred. I played him several years ago at Chris'. One of the times he came to Detroit, don't know if there was more than one, he lost more than he was carrying so they sent a "man" to Chicago to collect. Nothing serious just out of respect. A friend of mine flew him over there.

fred bentivegna

Verified Member
From
chicago illinois
Sorry to hear about Phil, Fred. I played him several years ago at Chris'. One of the times he came to Detroit, don't know if there was more than one, he lost more than he was carrying so they sent a "man" to Chicago to collect. Nothing serious just out of respect. A friend of mine flew him over there.

Must be talking about someone else, Petie. First off Phil never lost any real money playing pool. He only gambled big at the race track. Secondly, I don't care who was sent to "see" him, unless Phil had agreed to pay the debt -- if in fact he did have one -- they coulda sent Lucky Luciano to collect the money, and all he would have got would have been a gunfight.

Beard

petie

Verified Member
From
Citrus Springs, FL
Must be talking about someone else, Petie. First off Phil never lost any real money playing pool. He only gambled big at the race track. Secondly, I don't care who was sent to "see" him, unless Phil had agreed to pay the debt -- if in fact he did have one -- they coulda sent Lucky Luciano to collect the money, and all he would have got would have been a gunfight.

Beard

Don't know if it was pool or not. Apparenty, he did agree. Possibly the guy who went to collect who told me about it was mistaken or fibbin.

mr3cushion

Verified Member
From
Cocoa Beach, FL
Freddy, You are , "spot on" with that assessment of ANY collector's showing up to TRY and relieve Phil of HIs , "race track funds". NOT gonna happn! :frus

Bill Smith "Mr3Cushion"

wincardona

Verified Member
From
Dallas Tx.
As the years pass you kinda get to thinkin ...got to get busy doing the things you would like to do before you pass. Phill seemed like he was always enjoying life...had a great attitude, and I always enjoyed his company, too bad his time is running out. He was a stand up guy who remained loyal to his friends..he always had your back. I really liked Phill, and I felt he felt the same about me. Just recently visited Cole a week before he passed, paid my respects to a good friend whom I really respected and it's sad to see those kind go.

Stay healthy Fred, your going to have a lot of money in the near future, like to see you around to enjoy it. :D

Dr. Bill

fred bentivegna

Verified Member
From
chicago illinois
Phil left us a few minutes ago. Probably for the best. When we visited him Thursday he wasnt responsive. I just hope he heard us when we were talking to him. I will just say this once more. Didnt anybody go and gorilla him out of any money. That was off the table. I seen him tell a big drunken tush-hog, 6'8 350 lbs, that was ****in up all the sucker action in a bar joint we were in, to hit the bricks outside, cause he had had enough of his tush act. Phil was 5'9."

He saved my life once when I had embezzled a mob hit man's cheese, and I had until the next day to pay it back. it was thousands. I only had about $200 left so there was really nothing left to do but take that duece to the race track. I spotted Phil, told him the story and gave him the $200 and told him to save me.

His first bet with mine was a $200 Quinella! Naturally he hit it, and went on from there. Did he win enough for me? I'm still alive aint I?

Beard

mr3cushion

Verified Member
From
Cocoa Beach, FL
Another REALLY sad day for ALL who knew Phil, one of the MOST, "Stand-up Guys" you'll ever meet!

NO ONE, EVER bet MORE than, "Racetrack Phil" at the Harness races!!!!!

R.I.P Buddy, "See Ya When I See Ya!"

Bill Smith "Mr3Cushion"

Cowboy Dennis

Verified Member
From
Detroit,Michigan
Phil left us a few minutes ago. Probably for the best. When we visited him Thursday he wasnt responsive. I just hope he heard us when we were talking to him.

Beard

Condolences on the loss of your friend Freddy. Phil carried himself with class & character on this site and I appreciated that.

R.I.P. Phil

Dennis

NH Steve

Administrator
From
New Hampshire
I remember meeting him at the One Pocket HOF dinner one year -- or maybe he even came a couple of times. I could see you guys were old compadre's. I am very sorry for your loss Freddy. The Ghost gave me one of the original t-shirts from your old room, Freddy -- I am pretty sure I got all four of you guys to sign it. RIP Racetrack Phil. :(

Toncam

Verified Member
Sorry for the loss of your friend, Freddie.

You went south with an Outfit guys money ? They are worse than the NY guys when it comes to that stuff, you must have been insane, lol.

fred bentivegna

Verified Member
From
chicago illinois
Sorry for the loss of your friend, Freddie.

You went south with an Outfit guys money ? They are worse than the NY guys when it comes to that stuff, you must have been insane, lol.

I just couldn't help myself. Once money was in my pocket I could never stop from gambling or spending it. That was far from the only dangerous embezzlement I ever made. Phil did miraculously save my ass there though.

Beard

Artie Bodendorfer flew in to try and see him Saturday night but he died before Artie could get over there.

RedCard

Verified Member
Phil

Phil

I didn't know him but as shown above several good people did and respected him. That's good enough for me. RIP.

FastEddieF.

Verified Member
Sorry for your loss of a Racetrack Buddy.Most Guys who I went to Racetracks were great friends. Most of them could be comedians go broke with them and back in action the next day. I went to the track for almost 50 years and the worst part was going to all the funerals. The racetrack guys were the best.Phil sounded like a great person to be around.Also I bet he was a great handicapper, and made plenty of scores. Just remember the good times and again I bet you guys had plenty of those. What was Phil's last name?Again sorry for your loss. R.I.P. Phil