Quick Banks game

NH Steve

Administrator
From
New Hampshire
I got a local player to try this -- he could easily understand it. You have to understand up here in NH most players have never heard of Bank Pool -- we are way out of "bank pool country" lol.

Rack just 3 balls -- you can call a bank on the break (i.e. four railing one of the wing balls) and if it goes it counts. If you make a different ball on the break you just sit, because your called ball did not go. If you make a second ball, that one just spots right then and there (all the time -- no holding balls for spotting til the end of the inning). You don't go backwards on a scratch -- your opponent just gets BIH behind the line. It never came up, but if all the balls were behind the line you would have to spot one. You can call combo banks -- including if a ball is hanging, you can bank another ball into it and call that ball. If your object ball happens to carom off another ball on its way to your pocket it still counts (like straight pool).

First player to bank two wins -- nice and quick :D:D

Not the way banks are usually played of course, but I got somebody to the table with it that otherwise would not have so I like the game lol

Dennis "Whitey" Young

Verified Member
From
Klamath Falls, Or.
Very Clever, and attractive for it's quick, and a lesser skilled banker might step up for they only need two. The shorter the ball count race the better it is for the lesser skilled banker to have a little better chance. It is like a race to two in 9-ball anything can happen!

It would make for a nice double elimination bank tournament. That might get the ball rolling on banks in NH.

Pre-noon week-in Steak & Eggs Breakfast Bank Tournament!

Great game, I'd like to play it! thanks, Steve!
Whitey

Dennis "Whitey" Young

Verified Member
From
Klamath Falls, Or.
Steve, I've been thinking there are other possibilities for your bank game when more players are involved, such as; playing it like you would 3 ball, in which a player counts how many shots it takes to bank the 3 balls, least amount of shots wins the purse & for a variable, bank attempts could count like hickys. Or, a 3 player 3 ball bank ring game, whereas the player to bank two balls wins, a tie is a re-rack and the purse builds.
Anything to get players to play banks. Whitey

NH Steve

Administrator
From
New Hampshire
Steve, I've been thinking there are other possibilities for your bank game when more players are involved, such as; playing it like you would 3 ball, in which a player counts how many shots it takes to bank the 3 balls, least amount of shots wins the purse & for a variable, bank attempts could count like hickys. Or, a 3 player 3 ball bank ring game, whereas the player to bank two balls wins, a tie is a re-rack and the purse builds.
Anything to get players to play banks. Whitey

I agree -- anything to get somebody to play banks!! I have one guy -- who doesn't come in that often -- who will play banks. Other than that I have to improvise lol.

NH Steve

Administrator
From
New Hampshire
Nice ?gateway? game.

The guy that I played this with has not been in lately, but if he does I'm going to offer him the break if I have to, to get him to the table. Since you can call a ball off the break (the 4-railer goes often enough), the break is probably a big spot, but I'll try it lol.

hankh

Verified Member
From
Arrey, N.M.
Howdy All;

What I've been noticing in my local mini tourneys is that since I've been working on my Banks game
and putting Banks to use in the 8 & 9 ball tourneys, others are seeing how well they can work and are
actually attempting some. The looks of surprise are priceless when they make a bank. This keeps up
and I'll soon be able to ask one of them for a game ... :)

hank

hankh

Verified Member
From
Arrey, N.M.
NH Steve, Howdy;

Think I saw Billy Thorpe and someone else playing something like this
before they cut back over to the main streaming table at that Banks tourney
in Cincy. last night. Woulda been near 11:00 eastern time. They were just
playin with 3 balls and bankin'em. The commentator said they were playin'
and couldn't make out the name. But it was for $100. a rack. Billy was up by
10 when the Brumback match started.

hank

MisterBanker

Verified Member
Since you can call a ball off the break (the 4-railer goes often enough)

I tried this yesterday and you aren't kidding about the 4-railer. One rack I made one and hung another in the jaws. On hangers it would seem that allowing three rail kicks to count as a bank would be a good idea.

NH Steve

Administrator
From
New Hampshire
I tried this yesterday and you aren't kidding about the 4-railer. One rack I made one and hung another in the jaws. On hangers it would seem that allowing three rail kicks to count as a bank would be a good idea.
They did that at the DCC ring game when I watched it -- prior years anyway. But in head-to-head, I don't think it is necessary. And doing that would take away a little of the safety play.
NH Steve, Howdy;

Think I saw Billy Thorpe and someone else playing something like this
before they cut back over to the main streaming table at that Banks tourney
in Cincy. last night. Woulda been near 11:00 eastern time. They were just
playin with 3 balls and bankin'em. The commentator said they were playin'
and couldn't make out the name. But it was for $100. a rack. Billy was up by
10 when the Brumback match started.

hank
Damn I will have to try to find out!!

unoperro

Verified Member
So you are in the 1 area of the country where they still play 14.1 and you want them to play banks? OMG😜

I believe they played banks down south because 14.1 math was too hard because not everyone has 14 toes.😉